10 - Lionel Messi - v2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Messi was Barcelona's best player in that match, you can't really ask more than that.

that's not messi standards though. The question is, did Messi shine? No. Did he score? no.
There are no excuses. Saying that Messi was Barca's best player is just another excuse. Because he might have been barca's best but barca's best that night was not good enough. Another thing, messi has playes chelsea several times and he has never shined against them ( one can argue that he did make a good game the first time he played against them) but for the most part, he has flopped against them.

raskolnikov

i think people haven't agreed on what an excuse is vs what a reason is.
When you give excuses, it means that you could have done something but you just didn't do it.
when you give a reason, something beyond your power or out of your control didn't allow you to take certain action.
If Messi doesn't do well against a team, like when he didn't perform well vs chelsea ( the last time we played against them in Standford) then fanboys come out and say that it was b.c of the parked bus and b.c of the pitch.
To me that's an excuse. Why? because you can't praise messi as the best player ever for scoring against teams that park the bus in la liga but YET use that to defend Messi for not performing well against chelsea. There is no excuse, but there is reasons= messi is not superhuman, he actually has bad games, he isn't as good player against very physical teams.

I get you reasoning but the last part I disagree with, Real was extremely physical against him the last few years and at their worst he was owning them in 2011.

J

jiopi

that's not messi standards though. The question is, did Messi shine? No. Did he score? no.
There are no excuses. Saying that Messi was Barca's best player is just another excuse. Because he might have been barca's best but barca's best that night was not good enough. Another thing, messi has playes chelsea several times and he has never shined against them ( one can argue that he did make a good game the first time he played against them) but for the most part, he has flopped against them.
:lol: Messi completely pwned Mourinho's thug Chelsea at muddy Stamfordbridge in 2006. It doesn't get more physical than that match.

misterplatin

i think people haven't agreed on what an excuse is vs what a reason is.
When you give excuses, it means that you could have done something but you just didn't do it.
when you give a reason, something beyond your power or out of your control didn't allow you to take certain action.
If Messi doesn't do well against a team, like when he didn't perform well vs chelsea ( the last time we played against them in Standford) then fanboys come out and say that it was b.c of the parked bus and b.c of the pitch.
To me that's an excuse. Why? because you can't praise messi as the best player ever for scoring against teams that park the bus in la liga but YET use that to defend Messi for not performing well against chelsea. There is no excuse, but there is reasons= messi is not superhuman, he actually has bad games, he isn't as good player against very physical teams.

Nobody defined the best player ever as a superman who destroys whatever is in front of him while playing for 3rd class teams .It is all relative to the best players the football world as seen in different generations. So when a player approaches that level ,he can be compared with the best players ever .

Nobody defined the best player ever as a superman who destroys whatever is in front of him while playing for 3rd class teams .It is all relative to the best players the football world as seen in different generations. So when a player approaches that level ,he can be compared with the best players ever .
That's my point. That you can't find excuses as to why messi doesn't perform well sometimes but you can find reasons. One of the reasons is that Messi is human and thus can have bad games. there is no reason to find excuses beyond that. It's as if admitting that messi can have bad games or doesn't perform well against certain teams will somehow disprove that messi is the best player in the world. Messi is the best and i like the guy but i dont see why people always try to find excuses as to why messi plays a bad game.

J

jiopi

then why hasn't he pwned chelsea since? he just doesn't feel like it?
No-one plays great every game, Messi though plays more than others.

2006 Pwned
2006 Group games
2009 Gave the tie deciding assist
2012 Was completely beaten/ out of gas from carrying Barca the whole season, and still managed to be the best player of the team at away

Yeah, awful.

CesDel

Not scoring/assisting =/= playing bad just as scoring/assisting =/= playing good. One of the reason why stats can be so misleading and should NOT be the barometer of how good a player played..

No-one plays great every game, Messi though plays more than others.

2006 Pwned
2006 Group games
2009 Gave the tie deciding assist
2012 Was completely beaten/ out of gas from carrying Barca the whole season, and still managed to be the best player of the team at away

Yeah, awful.

2006: i wouldn't call it "Pwned" but ok, i'll give you that.
2006: group games? what about them? what did messi do?
2009: tie deciding assist? Yes, but i bet if Cristiano or any other top player would have given that "assist" you would be laughing your ... off if someone called it an assist.
2012: An excuse? B.c he didn't look tired when he demolished milan at the camp nou but somehow he just got tired for chelsea's game.
See what I'm talkig about? all excuses. Jiopi, admitting that messi is not all powerful and can't perform well against some teams (for now) won't make Messi any less of a great player than what he is. it will just make him human and that's why people would love him even more.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I think as Messi fans (not fanboys), we can and should accept that Messi can have bad games and bad days. Again, he is only human after all. EVERY player, no matter how great he is or was, has had bad days and bad games where he/she got shut down, disappeared, whatever. There is nothing wrong that that.

I don't think we Messi fans need to make an excuses for his bad performance or bad days, it is what it is. Of course the chances of him being shut down/nullified/neutralized etc. are much greater when he faces good teams. So many teams have probably studied Messi's and Barca's styles, points of the initiation of attacks and etc., so they can mark him with several players, not giving him any space and blocking his every move with bodies. It is totally doable. I think that doesn't diminish the fact that Messi is a great player.

Keikoku

Cabbage
Today at 05:00 (+3 GMT)

5 hours from now.

Thank you, too bad that looks like I can't watch it coz my sleeping time. :lol:

I think as Messi fans (not fanboys), we can and should accept that Messi can have bad games and bad days. Again, he is only human after all. EVERY player, no matter how great he is or was, has had bad days and bad games where he/she got shut down, disappeared, whatever. There is nothing wrong that that.

I don't think we Messi fans need to make an excuses for his bad performance or bad days, it is what it is. Of course the chances of him being shut down/nullified/neutralized etc. are much greater when he faces good teams. So many teams have probably studied Messi's and Barca's styles, points of the initiation of attacks and etc., so they can mark him with several players, not giving him any space and blocking his every move with bodies. It is totally doable. I think that doesn't diminish the fact that Messi is a great player.

100% agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans