10 - Lionel Messi - v2

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jiopi

In the old format Messi would not win though, it would go to a Bayern player.
Not true, there is multiple examples of people winning it without any trophies at all, and Messi carried Barcelona to Spanish League win, and CL-semifinal.

J

jiopi

The UEFA player of year will be more interesting, well it shouldn't be really, but I think it will be closer than Ballon.

whoscored.com MoM performances League + CL + EL

25 Messi
15 Cronaldo
15 Zlatan
12 Bale
12 Ribery
11 Van Persie
8 Lewandowski
7 Müller
5 Schweinsteiger
2 Robben

Alissa

It's July, in case you all have forgotten. That means we are only halfway through.

There is absolutely no point in discussing this now. Get back on topic FHS.

raskolnikov

Not true, there is multiple examples of people winning it without any trophies at all, and Messi carried Barcelona to Spanish League win, and CL-semifinal.
A lot of times it went to a player of a winning team while someone else was better though. Journalists also were judgemental though, not giving it to Zidane in 2006 cause of his headbutt ( I think they did this in 2000 as well) eventhough in my opinion Henry should have won it for carrying Arsenal so much, there is no way Cannavaro was better.
Also I could see them giving it to a bayern player just cause being tired of Leo winning.
The current player of Europe is kind of similair to the old balon d'or, we will see what they think.

J

jiopi

A lot of times it went to a player of a winning team while someone else was better though. Journalists also were judgemental though, not giving it to Zidane in 2006 cause of his headbutt eventhough in my opinion Henry should have won it for carrying Arsenal so much, there is no way Cannavaro was better.
Also I could see them giving it to a bayern player just cause being tired of Leo winning.
The current player of Europe is kind of similair to the old balon d'or, we will see what they think.
Yes, but there is a difference of not winning, and winning it at times, when the individual performance warrants it.

Cannavaro also won the FWPOTY and would have also won the FIFA Ballon d'Or easily

FIFA Ballon d'Or 2006 (calculated with current method)

1. Cannavaro 827
2. Zidane 589
3. Henry 547
4. Ronaldinho 519

So as we see Cannavaro was the best clearly according journalists, coaches, and players, next places were tight.

J

jiopi

Also the voting of UEFA method is much different from the old Ballon d'Or. In Ballon d'Or they ranked 5 players each, and the results were collectively calculated from there. In UEFA they rank 3 players, and choose the final 3 collectively from there, which from they will then vote one player.

raskolnikov

Yes, but there is a difference of not winning, and winning it at times, when the individual performance warrants it.

Cannavaro also won the FWPOTY and would have also won the FIFA Ballon d'Or easily

FIFA Ballon d'Or 2006 (calculated with current method)

1. Cannavaro 827
2. Zidane 589
3. Henry 547
4. Ronaldinho 519

So as we see Cannavaro was the best clearly according journalists, coaches, and players, next places were tight.
I honestly thought Zidane would have won it in the current style.
Still feel Cannavaro didnt deserve it and it was purely based on the wc, eventhough his performance wasnt like Ronaldo 2002. Zidane was even the best during the wc in 06.

Ode to Django

You're not even a real journalism
Still feel Cannavaro didnt deserve it and it was purely based on the wc, eventhough his performance wasnt like Ronaldo 2002. Zidane was even the best during the wc in 06.

pirlo_fifa_world_champions_italy_national_team_germany_2006_football_soccer_worldcup.jpg

J

jiopi

Well Cannavaro was the second best player in World Cup, and won it by only conceding 2 goals the whole tournament. And won Serie-A (at the time) conceding clearly the least goals, where as Zidane didn't do really much in Galacticos.

Last edited:

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
It also works on perception, imo, and I am counting the journalists more than players/coaches. We shall see, but I really really really don't want a German/Bayern player to win the thing. I might emigrate.

I can understanding not wanting a Bayern player to win. But not wanting a German player to win? Come on Loozy! :icon_confused:

J

jiopi

Amazing thing about the Cannavaro win though, he's the only defender to ever win the Ballon d'Or, and one month before it was given to him, 19 year old Messi does this to him (and Roberto Carlos, Ballon d'Or #2 2002) :worthy:

Messi%20dribble%20Carlos%20Cannavaro%2019%20years.gif

Meitux

Its very strange about Cannavaro,i dont find a serious excuse that he was good in the world cup that year.After all he is a defender...always the glory goes to forwards

Last edited:
A

Athletic

I wonder when he's going to be sold. I predict in three years to some oil club for 80ish mil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans