10 - Lionel Messi - v2

Status
Not open for further replies.

raskolnikov

Ribery would be right if he was Bayerns best player, but Neuer, Lahm, Schweinsteiger, Müller and Robben all were equally important.

CesDel

Hmm I associate trophies with individual performances, because that's what football is about - winning titles. We'll just have to agree to disagree on that one I guess :D

Eh? You win trophies thank to a collective effort, not thanks to an individual player. Not even Maradona 86 won the wc by himself.

coco1247

Banned
As far as I know football is a team sport. Imo the award should go to the player who was instrumental in his team's success. In this particular case it's Ribery. 2010/11 it was Messi. That's how I see it. I get that you have every right in wanting for Messi to win it, I just think it's not all about being technically gifted, it's also about winning something. And Ribery has a fair shot at it. The one losing out in this scenario is Ronaldo, which is a shame for every RM fan because he was a rock for our team last season.

Qonny

I don't think winning trophies should put you above players that were truly better individualy throughout the whole season. It's an award for the best player in the world, and right now, there is no player better than Messi in the world.

Galning

Why are you all even discussing this with a guy who a few pages back said "I really dislike Messi". We have this discussion every single year. It's not the award for "the player who did the most for his club, which is also the club that won the biggest trophy". It's the award for the best player in the world. And let's all take a guess who that player is. Tip: It's not Ribéry.

barca1899

Why are you all even discussing this with a guy who a few pages back said "I really dislike Messi". We have this discussion every single year. It's not the award for "the player who did the most for his club, which is also the club that won the biggest trophy". It's the award for the best player in the world. And let's all take a guess who that player is. Tip: It's not Ribéry.

+1

coco1247

Banned
This is a forum, is it not? Besides, it's got nothing to do with me liking or disliking Messi. It's just a discussion I find interesting.

CesDel

As far as I know football is a team sport. Imo the award should go to the player who was instrumental in his team's success. In this particular case it's Ribery. 2010/11 it was Messi. That's how I see it. I get that you have every right in wanting for Messi to win it, I just think it's not all about being technically gifted, it's also about winning something. And Ribery has a fair shot at it. The one losing out in this scenario is Ronaldo, which is a shame for every RM fan because he was a rock for our team last season.

Football is a team sport, Ballon d'or is a individual award. So using that criteria, trophies should mean f*ck all for the ballon d'or..

Darwin

Guys, stop arguing as we all know Messi will win it.. He is the best of all time, he was the best this year and he will be the next.. Simple as that.. BTW, I am so sure about it that I'm betting 1000€ on Messi... Was about to do it last week, but then he got injured.. :(

Like you guys said, it's the individual award, not team award... Team award was the trophy that Bayern lifted in May, and would only sway things to Ribery's favour if his performances were at the similar level to Messi..

Besides, in two days time the UEFA best player award goes out, where top 3 shortlisted players are Messi , Ronaldo and Ribery, and so again the winner would be Ribery if you ask coco... According to her all these awards should go to a player that was in a team that won the most trophies, in which case we don't even need them.

The only question for me is whether CR7 will again (like previous 2 years) cheat when it comes to voting for ballon d'or and suddenly become sick and hand the portuguese captaincy to Bruno Alves, who then votes 5 points for Ronaldo... Which otherwise would not be possible for Ronaldo as a captain, since one cannot vote for himself..

Kerrybai

Messi did win something. On top of that he was instrumental in our wonderful comeback vs Milan. Funnily enough the bookies have Neymar ahead of Ribery for the Balon dor and Gareth Bale tied with him.

Last edited:

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire

It is not an award for the best player in the world, it is an award for the best individual performance. There is a distinction between the two. If it were the latter, then as long as Messi still plays (or until he drastically declines), the award would have to go to him every year. The best player of the world overall might not necessarily have the best, most stellar performance every year.

And this is coming from a huge Messi fan. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans