10 - Lionel Messi - v2

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Flavia

It is not an award for the best player in the world, it is an award for the best individual performance. There is a distinction between the two. If it were the latter, then as long as Messi still plays (or until he drastically declines), the award would have to go to him every year. The best player of the world overall might not necessarily have the best, most stellar performance every year.

And this is coming from a huge Messi fan. ;)

That's all semantics to me. Best player on a year, and best individual performance in a year is the same thing. The ballon d'or is not for the player whose team won the most titles, it's for the player who performed the best overall on that year. Usually it coincides, but sometimes it doesn't.

barca1899

That's all semantics to me. Best player on a year, and best individual performance in a year is the same thing. The ballon d'or is not for the player whose team won the most titles, it's for the player who performed the best overall on that year. Usually it coincides, but sometimes it doesn't.

Love that Puyi avatar :wub:

Ghost

Nah, Ribery deserves all the shit he gets when he talk like that in the public.
Talks like what? He didn't insult Messi or Ronaldo. He just thinks he deserves the award this year. I disgree with that obviously, but calling him 'scarface'? Come on. :/

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I know only journalists will participate in the voting of the UEFA Best Player Award which will be unveiled this Thursday whereas managers, coaches, trainers as well as journalists participate in the voting of the Ballon D'Or, but I don't know if the criteria for the two awards are pretty much the same or not.

Personally, I am OK with the UEFA Best Player Award going to Ribery as I consider the Ballon D'Or far more important, if awarding Ribery the UEFA Best Player Award will increase Messi's chances of winning the Ballon D'Or. Also, I was thinking, as long as Messi's physical condition permits (if he stays healthy), losing out to Ribery in the UEFA Best Player Award might make Messi extra hungry and more motivated, which will help both him and our team. :p

Darwin

I know only journalists will participate in the voting of the UEFA Best Player Award which will be unveiled this Thursday whereas managers, coaches, trainers as well as journalists participate in the voting of the Ballon D'Or, but I don't know if the criteria for the two awards are pretty much the same or not.

Personally, I am OK with the UEFA Best Player Award going to Ribery as I consider the Ballon D'Or far more important, if awarding Ribery the UEFA Best Player Award will increase Messi's chances of winning the Ballon D'Or. Also, I was thinking, as long as Messi's physical condition permits (if he stays healthy), losing out to Ribery in the UEFA Best Player Award might make Messi extra hungry and more motivated, which will help both him and our team. :p

UEFA best player of the year award is decided solely by journalists, while ballon d'or is by national coaches, national captains and media representatives...

That is why CR always gets terminally ill when it comes to voting, since he is the Portugal captain and as such is not allowed to vote for himself, sending Bruno Alves in his place, who then votes for Ronaldo in the name of Portugal. It's a disgrace..

Image the reaction by the haters and anti-Messi propaganda machine if Messi suddenly "became desperately sick" on that particular day when voting takes place, making Mascherano Argentina captain, who would then vote and give 5 points to Messi. It would be a scandal..

Regarding Ribery.. I also wouldn't mind him winning this year's UEFA best player award, although I'm pretty sure Messi will win both.

Last edited:

Darwin

Yeah. And those 5 points reaaaaally make the difference.

You conveniently concentrate on the end result... How about loyalty, morals, honesty, integrity, sportsmanship..

It figures...

And what IF? What if one of those years that 5 points tilt the scale to CR favour..???

It's the intent, the deed, that matters..

But that's why you are Madridista, I guess..

coco1247

Banned
Because he knows he's not gonna get it anyways.
It probably bothers Ronaldo he didn't win it last year, but what can you do...Besides, personal awards don't bother me a lot tbh.

Hamzah

High Definition Member
It probably bothers Ronaldo he didn't win it last year, but what can you do...Besides, personal awards don't bother me a lot tbh.

You said individuals win trophies. Surely it does matter to you.

F

Flavia

That's a terrible excuse. It just shows a lack of sportmanship from cr, imo. And it bothers him.

coco1247

Banned
Yeah, individual performances help win titles. What has that got to do with this trophy? I'm talking about CL, Liga titles. I don't care if Ronaldo will win Ballon d'Or or not. I mean, it sucks for him, but I want to see him do well at RM and help the team win titles. If it just so happens to earn him an award, great. If not, so be it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans