10 - Lionel Messi - v2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kerrybai

I'm not a doctor, but he took hormones because his body wasn't producing them, as everyone needs those hormones to grow up. So why would that have side effects? Unless he took them in excess, how could that hurt him?

My understanding is that the hormones given to Messi to allow him to grow are not a 'perfect' replacement for the hormones his body was failing to produce, in simpler terms people with such a condition can never reach their full potential growth.

So It's not a case of Messi receiving drugs that would have put too much pressure on his body, so like a player taking steroids only for their knees to give in. Then again I am not educated on this matter and probably talking crap :lol:

coura

Banned
I´m no doctor but anyone has concrete and scientific proof that growth hormones have that kind of side effects? If not, please stop with these catastrophic scenarios about messi.

J

jiopi

My understanding is that the hormones given to Messi to allow him to grow are not a 'perfect' replacement for the hormones his body was failing to produce, in simpler terms people with such a condition can never reach their full potential growth.

So It's not a case of Messi receiving drugs that would have put too much pressure on his body, so like a player taking steroids only for their knees to give in. Then again I am not educated on this matter and probably talking crap :lol:
Messi injury problems are direct consequent in playing Bolivia, getting injury, and then getting recurring injury in that PSG game. It's the same with Iniesta in CL-final, when doctors said you could risk your career playing that game. And the next season Iniesta was in and out injured.

suckabov

Lemon curry?
I´m no doctor but anyone has concrete and scientific proof that growth hormones have that kind of side effects? If not, please stop with these catastrophic scenarios about messi.

No, there is none whatsoever.

From Wikipedia:
The New England Journal of Medicine published two editorials in 2003 expressing concern about off-label uses of HGH and the proliferation of advertisements for "HGH-Releasing" dietary supplements, and emphasized that there is no evidence that use of HGH in healthy adults or in geriatric patients is safe and effective - and especially emphasized that risks of long-term HGH treatment are unknown. One editorial was by Jeffrey M. Drazen, M.D., the editor-in-chief of the journal; the other one was by Dr. Mary Lee Vance, who provided the NEJM's editorial original, cautious comment on a much cited 1990 study on the use of HGH in geriatric patients with low growth hormone levels.

A small but controlled study of GH given to severely ill adults in an intensive care unit setting for the purpose of increasing strength and reducing the muscle wasting of critical illness showed a higher mortality rate for the patients having received GH. The reason is unknown, but GH is now rarely used in ICU patients unless they have severe growth hormone deficiency.

GH treatment usually decreases insulin sensitivity but some studies showed no evidence for increased diabetes incidence in GH-treated adult hypopituitary patients.

In past it was believed that GH treatment could increase the cancer risk; a large study recently concluded that "With relatively short follow-up, the overall primary cancer risk in 6840 patients receiving GH as adults was not increased. Elevated SIRs (which is risk of getting cancer) were found for subgroups in the USA cohort defined by age <35 years or childhood onset GH deficiency."

The FDA issued a Safety Alert in August 2011, communicating the fact that a French study found that persons with certain kinds of short stature (idiopathic growth hormone deficiency and idiopathic or gestational short stature) treated with recombinant human growth hormone during childhood and who were followed over a long period of time, were at a small increased risk of death when compared to individuals in the general population of France.

There is no sufficient scientific proof for any of these effects; but even if there were, none of these have anything to do with Messi's career as a footballer, let alone his thigh injuries.

Calm down people! It was FCB who payed for his treatment; they have some questionable management decisions, but they're not that stupid to invest money in a player that wouldn't be able to reach his full potential.

poldep

Messi injury problems are direct consequent in playing Bolivia, getting injury, and then getting recurring injury in that PSG game. It's the same with Iniesta in CL-final, when doctors said you could risk your career playing that game. And the next season Iniesta was in and out injured.

This.

Mitchell1978

Messi has fast twitch muscle fibers, a bit like a sprinter, which means he is explosive (acceleration) but also vulnerable for muscle injuries (like hamstring-injuries), thats why he was often injured in his early years. I hope they can make some changes again so to avoid more injuries like this.

Mitchell1978

Lets hope this won't be the case for Messi (in and out of injury like Iniesta that year).

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Even MD picked up on this but the club statement on Leo's injury is verbatim for the one put out when he limped out against PSG last season as well...I doubt he'll be playing against Celtic, nor should he IMO

CatalinR10

Messi, who was subbed off with a thigh muscle injury, will be out for a week and miss the games against Celtic and Valladolid. #fcblive

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
He should not be brought back just for the sake of it. Let him recover fully this time.......

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Messi, who was subbed off with a thigh muscle injury, will be out for a week and miss the games against Celtic and Valladolid. #fcblive

Hoping for even nasty wins for the two games while Messi is out and pray that Leo will get a full recovery.

Our management really need to get to the bottom of his injury.

Indignado

Hoping for even nasty wins for the two games while Messi is out and pray that Leo will get a full recovery.

Our management really need to get to the bottom of his injury.

This negativity again... if Barça were worse than Celtic without Messi why doesn't he join them?

Everything else than us dominating our next opponents would be a complete disappointment, we're much, much better than most teams we face even without Messi, yet people act as if we only play Bayern- or Real-like teams and Barça only consists of Messi.

I shouldn't even bother to reply anymore to this nonsense but it infuriates me to see people think like this. Messi injured = Barça will lose against anyone.

Oh, and, in case you haven't noticed, we were equally bad with Messi on the pitch today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans