10 - Lionel Messi - v2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Semi-Neutral

Sir Alupp Heynrguson
Being surrounded by players doesn't mean he was marked. Why were the 2 defenders backing off instead of cutting out his space? Why were the 2 midfielders ball watching while he was playing a 1-2? I'm sure "good" defending incorporates neither of these elements.

The defenders backed off for a split second because it's instinctive, they immediately tried to dash forward and make up for it. Not ball watching with a 1-2 is really hard unless you are expecting before hand that it will be a 1-2, which in turn is really difficult when you're playing right in front of your goal and you're five minutes in.

BTW the impressive thing about the Milan goal was that he got so much power and precision with no back lift, not the fact that he didn't have space to shoot. Your second angle shows clearly that he has a lot of space to place the shot. It was the quick release of the shot that was impressive, just like in the Bilbao goal.

He was basically in contact with Mexes(?), had two midfielders breathing down his neck, and only a foot and space between him and whoever the black guy is. The quick release is made all the more impressive because of that little space and that he can only put it in one place, hit it only one way for that to be a goal. For the Bilbao goal, the impressive part was the fake where two defenders went the wrong way (because they stabbed), the shot wasn't really anything special, certainly not for Messi.

Agri

Last year you guy's collected all the votes for the balon d'or that had been made public. It was quite precise. These are the ones I know about so far this year:

Høgmo (coach norway): 1. Ibrahimovic, 2. Ronaldo, 3. Messi
Brede Hangeland: 1. Schweinsteiger, 2. Ibrahimovic, 3. Ronaldo
Del Bosque: Xavi and Iniesta - don't know where he placed them, but gave up the names in that order, and didn't reveal the third.
Casillas: 1. Ronaldo

I bet there is more. ya'll wanna help out?

CatalinR10

Last year you guy's collected all the votes for the balon d'or that had been made public. It was quite precise. These are the ones I know about so far this year:

Høgmo (coach norway): 1. Ibrahimovic, 2. Ronaldo, 3. Messi
Brede Hangeland: 1. Schweinsteiger, 2. Ibrahimovic, 3. Ronaldo
Del Bosque: Xavi and Iniesta - don't know where he placed them, but gave up the names in that order, and didn't reveal the third.
Casillas: 1. Ronaldo

I bet there is more. ya'll wanna help out?

Check last 2 pages in this thread.

Pepe Silvia

I don't understand why everyone thinks this goal is so good; the defenders stabbed like twelve year-olds for no reason, the challenge at the beginning when Messi just went right of him was in particular cringe-worthy. The Milan goal was much better in my opinion, in that there was nothing they could really do to stop it.

messi-goal-barca-milan.gif
i tend to agree.

Zincubus

Banned
10 - Lionel Messi

Last 2, surely. Last 12, nope. Messi in nov/dec/jan/feb/mar was superior by far, his usual far.

That's only 4/5 months though , I can't recall Messi being amazing since about May ... maybe earlier . He had a poor end to the season due to injuries s didn't he ??

Ronaldo seems to have been playing top stuff for ages

Last edited:
F

Flavia

Really ? I can't recall Messi being amazing since about May ... maybe earlier . He had a poor end to the season due to injuries s didn't he ??
You said last 12 months. I counted from november 12 to march 13, before his injury spell. That's 5 months for Messi. During the voting for the uefa best player award, in august, cr was the 3rd with only 3 votes(messi had 14, ribery 36). So the claim cr was the best for the past 12 months isn't real. Cr also started this season slowly, he started shining the past 2 months. But somehow it seems it was the whole year for some.

suckabov

Lemon curry?
Messi's ball-winning run vs Levante or how he won us the Sevilla game in the last minute was truly amazing. Not to mention his hat trick vs Ajax, something that CR would get drooled about.
Don't know why some mix up quality and quantity.

Last edited:

KhaledBarca

CR hype started when Messi got injured against Almeria and it stopped when CR got injured against Almeria! #TheAlmeriaFactor

In this period between Sept 28, 2013 and November 24, 2013. Cristiano scored 17 goals for RM, 4 for POR while Messi who was injured/unfit and missed a lot of games [only scored 3 goals in the ucl all vs Milan].

On 28 Sept 2013:
- Overall performance: Messi >> CR.
- Goals: CR 46 > Messi 42.
- Trophies: Messi 2 > CR 0.
* even CR fans weren't mentioning CR in the ballon d'or debate, especially after journalists who gave just 3 votes for CR in August, Messi 14 and Ribery 36!

On 24 Nov 2013:
- Overall performance: Messi >> CR.
- Goals: CR 67 > Messi 45.
- Trophies: Messi 2 > CR 0.

If Messi was fit in these two months, Messi would be close in terms of goals and no one would have mentioned CR like in August 2013!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans