10 - Lionel Messi - v3

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
MARCA quoted that rac1 source about chelsea approaching Jorge messi. That gives it some credibility (the fact rac1 said it not the story itself)

Gives what credibility? That Messi visited Chelsea's training facility?

Hamzah

High Definition Member
Yeah 200m fee and the other 200m for salary. Truth is I'm getting scared. He was already on the brink of leaving last season and stayed on probably because tito advised him to or because he thought with the signings there might be a difference.

This could actually be happening. Cesc will tap him up and try to convince him too.

CatalinR10

10402456_824871334253162_7014802849687396744_n.jpg

L

linetty

he will not leave because nobody can afford his buyout & wage demands. that would be breaching the ffp rules as well.

xxxxxx

he will not leave because nobody can afford his buyout & wage demands. that would be breaching the ffp rules as well.

The FFP is a joke anyway. There's always ways around it. If Chelsea really want Messi, they'll pay his buyout clause.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I am scared too. This put Messi's "rant" about how things change in football a couple of months ago into context.

I think we can safely assume that he is not happy and he hasn't been happy for a while. The only glimmer of hope is the election this summer, I hope the prospect of that will make Messi stay.

I don't doubt his love and devotion toward Barca, but now he might really be thinking about leaving. It could just be a matter of time.

iniesta_8

This + everyone knows Messis best years are already past, so spending 400m for him would be insane for every clup in this world.

xxxxxx

I am scared too. This put Messi's "rant" about how things change in football a couple of months ago into context.

I think we can safely assume that he is not happy and he hasn't been happy for a while. The only glimmer of hope is the election this summer, I hope the prospect of that will make Messi stay.

I don't doubt his love and devotion toward Barca, but now he might really be thinking about leaving. It could just be a matter of time.

Agreed.

If Chelsea pay the money, it's all up to Messi if he wants a new challenge. I mean, I wouldn't hold it against him, because he's done a lot for this club. I know Chelsea isn't the best clubs he could choose, but I could see why he would want a new challenge.

Now I'm not saying Messi is leaving, but if Chelsea pay his buyout clause out, there isn't anything we can do about it; it's all down to Messi and what he wants to do.

Hamzah

High Definition Member
yeah that's their problem. Even if they sell hazard and another player it's nowhere near the 200m fee.

How does FPP work exactly? How much net loss can you make on transfers in one window?

BBZ8800

but why does he want him sold? We're not exactly bankrupt now are we? Who would you get to replace someone like the GOAT? Its not feasible or sane to sell Messi because there is not a single alternative to the said player.

Ten Cate was Rijkaard's assistant coach.
He came to work with us in a Season 2004-05.

So, in the first year, Rijkaard wasn't working with him.
When Ten Cate came, Laporta, sporting director Txiki Begiristain, Rijkaard and Ten Cate decided that they have "learned" their team in Rijkaard's first year here and that it is time to kick ALL players from the old system and to build a completely new team.

I was writing about that on some other topics, but ok.
One more time, in 2002-03, before Laporta, Rijkaard and Begiristain, we had in our team:
-- Gk: Bonano, Enke
-- defenders: F. De Boer, Reiziger, Patrick Andersson, Christanval, Sorin
-- midfielders: Cocu, Riquelme, Mendieta, Rochemback, Luis Enrique
-- forwards: Kluivert, Saviola, Overmars

-- that is 15 players
-- ALL of these 15 players were kicked/sold from our team when Laporta+Rijkaard+Begiristain+Ten Cate came
-- by 2004-05, Season they kept only few youngsters from that team, and decided to build a completely NEW team and cycle:
-- Gk: Valdes (22 year old back then)
-- Dc: Puyol (25 year old back then), Gabri (24 year old in 2003), Oleguer (23 year old back then)
-- Mc: Xavi (23 year old back then), Iniesta (19 years old back then), Motta (21 year old back then)

-- so, you see, Laporta and a new board+coaches sold ALL FOREIGN players
-- plus, all domestic players who were older
-- and they kept only 7 domestic La Masia products, the oldest player was 25 years old Puyol

-- Riquelme, Mendieta, Kluivert, Saviola, all superstars (like current Xavi, Iniesta, Busi, Pique, Messi) were sold

All money earned from transfers was invested in a new generation of players who fitted our new 433 system.
And new players were "hungry" and motivated.

-- so, we kicked out 15 players and bought these players in the next 2 summers:
-- defenders: Marquez, Van Bronckhorst, Belletti, Sylvinho
-- midfielders: Edmilson, Deco, Van Bommel,
-- forwards: Ronaldinho, Etoo, Guily, Larsson, Ezquerro, Maxi Lopez

-- so, they kicked 15 players out
-- kept 7 younger La Masia products who have a motivation
-- and bought 13 new players for a new cycle, and promoted young Messi into a team

-- so, back then, I was asking mysfelf: "How will we survive without Kluivert and Saviola?"
= but a new board just bought even better players in Ronaldinho and Etoo

Further, 4-5 years later, when we won CL in 2006 with this new team, later that team declined and lost motivation (motivation and hunger always go in cycles)
-- and then, Laporta hired Pep, who did EXACTLY the same thing as Rijkaard and Ten Cate a few years before:
-- they sold Ronaldinho, Etoo, Deco, and basically all players whom Rijkaard bought
-- from Rijkaard's team, Pep used only Rafa Marquez and Sylvinho
-- so, he sold AGAIN the whole Rijkaard's team

Back then, I again thought: Is our new coach an idiot? You can't sell Ronaldinho, Deco and Etoo...
What happened?
= we entered into a new cycle with even better team than in Rijkaard's era and now we won even 2 Champions league titles...

So, in that sense, Ten Cate is a coach. He knows "the stuff" and those cycles and motivation/hunger issues are repeating each 4-5 years in all clubs, in all sports around the world.
You don't need to sell THE WHOLE team each time, but you need to get some new blood and new leaders each few years.

-- in Rijkaard's team, only 1 player (Deco) has previously won Champions league
-- so, you can imagine why our team played like crazy, and why all the guys cried that much after Belletti scored a winner for 2:1 in 2006' against Arsenal

-- today?
-- Pique won everything
-- Alves won everything
-- Xavi won everything
-- Iniesta won everything
-- Busi won everything
-- Messi won everything

We all love these players and they gave so much, but objectively, this is not a perfect mixture of players if you want to build a new generation.

So, in that sense, Ten Cate's words aren't that crazy at all.
If Rijkaard and him would be back again, they would probably sell Messi for 150 or 200 Millions.
Along with some other guys (Pique, Busi, Iniesta).
Imagine a 250 or 300 Millions earned from these guys, plus "a regular" 100 Millions for transfers from a new board.
You would have 400 Millions for a new cycle.
-- Reus 50 Millions, Koke 60 Millions
-- that is only 110 M spent
-- you still have 290 M to spend (Odegaard, Isco, 100s of possibilities), and you already have Neymar, Suarez, Mats and all of other players.

Again, I am not saying that we SHOULD sell Messi, but that wouldn't be the end of the world.
And some coaches wouldn't have anything against it.

We have already sold Rivaldo, Ronaldinho and Etoo in previous cycles, and we were again the best team in the world in the next cycle.

If we sell Messi or not, in 5-6 years he will surely leave.
So, we will have to live without Messi surely one day.

If he will be unhappy in the future, then a 150 or 200M deal, really won't be the end of the world.

Last edited:

xxxxxx

This + everyone knows Messis best years are already past, so spending 400m for him would be insane for every clup in this world.

What a lot of crap.

Even a 80% Messi is still in the top 2 of the world. He's still got 5 or maybe 6 years of great football left him in. Also, I could easily see Messi being a very good footballer after 33.... like Pirlo.

Also, there's ways around the FFP without getting a big penalty. So if Chelsea really want Messi, they'll pay it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans