10 - Lionel Messi - v3

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Flavia

Not that it matters, we all get what he meant to say, but it meant shy. "You're too shy to talk to him." "Shame" would indicate he did something wrong.

I don't think "verguenza" can be translated as shy. There's another word for that. Embarassed, maybe?

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
I don't think "verguenza" can be translated as shy. There's another word for that. Embarassed, maybe?

Yeah verguenza could both mean shame and embarrassment depending on the context. In this case, the likely meaning was he meant his son was embarrassed when presented to Messi.

Stric

Verguenza could be translated as either shame, embarrassment, shyness, etc. In this case it's definitely about being shy. The kid was just nervous. Shame and embarrassment imply that he did something wrong or humiliating beforehand. Sometimes in translation you can't get 100% equivalence by the book, because languages don't categorize meanings the same way, but the meaning dictates what word you're going to use.

edit:
Pardon my eagerness, I'm passionate about my area. :lol:

Last edited:
F

Flavia

Yeah verguenza could both mean shame and embarrassment depending on the context. In this case, the likely meaning was he meant his son was embarrassed when presented to Messi.

Verguenza could be translated as either shame, embarrassment, shyness, etc. In this case it's definitely about being shy. The kid was just nervous. Shame and embarrassment imply that he did something wrong or humiliating beforehand. Sometimes in translation you can't get 100% equivalence by the book, because languages don't categorize meanings the same way, but the meaning dictates what word you're going to use.

edit:
Pardon my eagerness, I'm passionate about my area. :lol:

Then cr might have really meant ashamed or embarassed. His kid is a fan of Messi :pep:

Peerless

If Messi wants to get his 5th ballon d'or, he'll really need to turn up this season.

We will probably see the biggest campaign for an individual award in history next season. There's no way the Madrid media won't use their influence to make sure Ronaldo ties Messi.

Kerrybai

If Messi wants to get his 5th ballon d'or, he'll really need to turn up this season.

We will probably see the biggest campaign for an individual award in history next season. There's no way the Madrid media won't use their influence to make sure Ronaldo ties Messi.

I think Messi will take it due to the Copa America.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans