10 - Lionel Messi - v3

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Flavia

BeWVq1JCMAALHne.jpg:large

footyfan

Calma, calma
Ronaldo has 167 goals in 154 games. I expect him to be third on this list, if not second, by the time he leaves Madrid.

Incredible any way you look at it.

P

Patty2720

Ronaldo has 167 goals in 154 games. I expect him to be third on this list, if not second, by the time he leaves Madrid.

Incredible any way you look at it.
Ronaldo vs. Messi in La Liga since 2009.

Ronaldo: 154 games and 167 goals = 1.08

Messi: 149 games and 169 goals = 1.13

footyfan

Calma, calma
Ronaldo vs. Messi in La Liga since 2009.

Ronaldo: 154 games and 167 goals = 1.08

Messi: 149 games and 169 goals = 1.13

Except that coming to a new league and a new team and beasting it up from day one is no mean feat. He also plays on a worse team than Messi. It's incredible that he's so close to matching Messi and when it's all said and done, it will be impressive to say the least for him to be number 2 on an all-time La Liga topscorers list.

footyfan

Calma, calma
Yes but how many of his were penalties?

I don't know exactly.

Even if you do end up finding a penalty stat that says Ronaldo scores more penalties than Messi, remember that it doesn't tell you how many penalties Messi missed. It's also a skill to score penalties, and you can't just dismiss it.

NotInHere

Except that coming to a new league and a new team and beasting it up from day one is no mean feat. He also plays on a worse team than Messi. It's incredible that he's so close to matching Messi and when it's all said and done, it will be impressive to say the least for him to be number 2 on an all-time La Liga topscorers list.
Stats don't really matter, its what you win that matters. Ronaldo has won absolutely nothing worth noting ever since his arrival at Madrid.

But you're right, individually speaking it is impressive. Too bad his goals have not won anything major.

F

Flavia

Stats don't really matter, its what you win that matters. Ronaldo has won absolutely nothing worth noting ever since his arrival at Madrid.

But you're right, individually speaking it is impressive. Too bad his goals have not won anything major.

He won one lliga trophy. It's a major one.

footyfan

Calma, calma

Yeah trophies dont matter when the point of discussion is the all-time La Liga topscorers list.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
I don't know exactly.

Even if you do end up finding a penalty stat that says Ronaldo scores more penalties than Messi, remember that it doesn't tell you how many penalties Messi missed. It's also a skill to score penalties, and you can't just dismiss it.

Don't get me wrong, Ronaldo's individual achievements at Madrid are phenomenal. I'm just saying that he isn't as "on par" with Messi as what's being made out by those numbers. Penalties are a skill, but when they're rewarded so often and are so insignificant, they simply are stat padding goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans