10 - Lionel Messi - v3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kerrybai

Clichy wanted that ball more than Messi and showed real desire to get it. Messi was about 10 yds ahead of Clichy when the pass was played.

Doesnt really matter if Messi got there first.

Never said anything about desire, one player is aware of the other ( Clichy is aware of Messi not seeing him ) so Clichy goes in faster while messi is at a job thinking he is safe, then he realises the danger and goes faster. i bleed Blaugrana is suggesting that Messi didn't bother 'his ass' to get it which is ridiculous.

You can clearly see he walks towards the ball, then realizes Clichy is besides him and only then starts to accelerate and tries to make up for it. It only happens within the blink of an eye but Leo could have gotten there first and shield the ball from Clichy.
If there would not have been a similar situation like this against Atletico, I would not be all over him for that. I mean the initial mistake is not made by him anyway but we all know how Messi can react after he loses the ball or there is a scramble near him. Sometimes he decides to care, sometimes not. That is ok vs Levante when you are up 5:0 but this little stuff decides the big games.

You are right,it happens in the blink of an eye. Messi goes for it and gets there first, Clichy bullies him off it. Your nitcpicking and clutching at straws suggesting that he did't both to go for it, because he clearly did.

JamDav1982

Never said anything about desire, one player is aware of the other ( Clichy is aware of Messi not seeing him ) so Clichy goes in faster while messi is at a job thinking he is safe, then he realises the danger and goes faster. i bleed Blaugrana is suggesting that Messi didn't bother 'his ass' to get it which is ridiculous.

You are right,it happens in the blink of an eye. Messi goes for it and gets there first, Clichy bullies him off it. Your nitcpicking and clutching at straws suggesting that he did't both to go for it, because he clearly did.

Messi would know fine Clichy was there.

Messi should have done better and got to ball quicker ahead of Clichy and not lost it so easily.

Blaugrana Bull

HiiiPoWeR
It is not the first time it happened that is why I am talking about it. I knew it would be impossible to criticize Leo in here anyway.
It was even after the Malaga game where he had a horrible game.

The thing is I think he had a good performance in general. But not amazing or MOTM by any means.

Kerrybai

Messi would know fine Clichy was there.

Messi should have done better and got to ball quicker ahead of Clichy and not lost it so easily.

Yes he could have been stronger at trying to shield it and not lost it so easily I'm not debating that at all. All I'm debating is that he didn't bother his arse to get it, because he clearly did go to get it.

It is not the first time it happened that is why I am talking about it. I knew it would be impossible to criticize Leo in here anyway.
It was even after the Malaga game where he had a horrible game.

The thing is I think he had a good performance in general. But not amazing or MOTM by any means.

He was poor against Malaga, most here said so. And you are right sometimes he could put in more effort, but saying he didn't bother to get it is unfair as he does clearly go for it and gets there first.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

Yes he could have been stronger at trying to shield it and not lost it so easily I'm not debating that at all. All I'm debating is that he didn't bother his arse to get it, because he clearly did go to get it.

Wouldnt say he 'didnt bother his arse' but he could have done more to get there quicker and not even allow Clichy to get that challenge in.

He was too relaxed in the situation and not switched on to Clichy closing him down as quick as that.

Kohe321

Posting this stat that i_bleed_blaugrana just posted in the match thread here as well:

@barcastuff: Messi recovered more balls than Rakitic, Iniesta, Suarez and Neymar together in the game against Man City tonight

Awesome. Messi is my MOTM by some margin, followed by Suarez and Pique. Iniesta and Rakitic also had great games :)

Kerrybai

Wouldnt say he 'didnt bother his arse' but he could have done more to get there quicker and not even allow Clichy to get that challenge in.

He was too relaxed in the situation and not switched on to Clichy closing him down as quick as that.

I think we can call that half an agreement then.

JamDav1982

Posting this stat that i_bleed_blaugrana just posted in the match thread here as well:

@barcastuff: Messi recovered more balls than Rakitic, Iniesta, Suarez and Neymar together in the game against Man City tonight

Awesome. Messi is my MOTM by some margin, followed by Suarez and Pique. Iniesta and Rakitic also had great games :)

I struggle to believe that is true.

What do they mean by recovered balls?

Going by 'who scored'

Messi - 3 tackles

Other players mentioned combine - 7 tackles

Messi - 3 interceptions

Other players - 3 interceptions.

Devils

Looking back at the miss now I'm cracking up. Lmao!

That diving header was just so bad, I cannot believe it came from Leo. :lol:

That will probably be the worst miss of his career.

Stric

There's so much luck that goes into how a penalty will end up that it's ridiculous to be sure that he needs to practice more. Seriously, though, everyone misses sometimes. And it's not because they don't practice. And looking back at the footage, that was a near-perfectly taken penalty. Sharp, powerful and well directed. He was just unlucky that Hart guessed the spot right.

Last edited:

Egert

Estonian Culé
Couldn't get any sleep until 3am, 2h I just was thinking about his misses, watched them over and over again. But it was a good pen and he was unlucky, but that rebound miss was just horrible....

karthik

I thought he was having one of his best games ever before the turnover for city's first goal.

Just amazing and carries the responsibility of the team on his shoulders. Only Suarez seems to be a player who replicate a little bit of what Leo can do for us.

NotInHere

To dismiss his performance today just because of a horrible taken penalty is stupid, his first half is probably one of the best halfs ive seen him play. Overall he was amazing.

Lomar1o

is it just me or does it feel like whenever Messi loses the ball it almost always results in a quick goal against us?

copa del rey final 2011
cl semi final against chelsea
la liga round against almeria
and yesterday

these are the instances i remember but i'm sure there are other moments =D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans