10 - Lionel Messi - v3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alarcón

Our best player has been on a dry spell for 7 games in La Liga. You saw today what a dry spell can do with a player.

Yeah that's more random given the fact that he scored 4 times in 2 games against Getafe. It just happened to be Copa but to me it makes no difference.

L

linetty

Messi: "This is always a difficult away game. They defended well, we did all we can to win, created chances, but lacked a bit of luck..."

Galning

Everytime he makes a run, skips past one, skips past two, gets fouled by number 3 who has no intention to play the ball. Referees take no action against this whatsoever, it's ridiculous.

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
Everytime he makes a run, skips past one, skips past two, gets fouled by number 3 who has no intention to play the ball. Referees take no action against this whatsoever, it's ridiculous.

I agree, those fouls are a clear last resort to stop him without any regard to play the ball...

I see no other issue worth of worry though, the match was hard and Levante parked the bus... If there's something we should complain about is conceding in a corner once again...

footyfan

Calma, calma

The ref gave a yellow card for most of those incidents. Nothing to complain about there, if you know opponents are going to hack Messi down because let's be honest that's one of the only ways to stop him - why not develop an alternate strategy? Why try the same type of attacking move over and over again? Messi is good enough to make one of those times count, but we can't depend upon him to finally break through every time.

And his positioning is awful considering that he is supposed to be the centre forward, but it's perfect if there had been someone in front of him. For the past 2 years against parked buses, his best moves always come about when either of Xavi or Fabregas step into the #9 position.

Last edited:

Galning

The ref gave a yellow card for most of those incidents. Nothing to complain about there, if you know opponents are going to hack Messi down because let's be honest that's one of the only ways to stop him - why not develop an alternate strategy? Why try the same type of attacking move over and over again? Messi is good enough to make one of those times count, but we can't depend upon him to finally break through every time.

And his positioning is awful considering that he is supposed to be the centre forward, but it's perfect if there had been someone in front of him. For the past 2 years against parked buses, his best moves always come about when either of Xavi or Fabregas step into the #9 position.

First off, he only gave one yellow card for that even though it happened multiple times today. Secondly, while I do agree that it's not the referee's fault that we lost this game or that it didn't influence today's result, it's just something that happens every single game and the referees rarely take action. And I don't agree with the fact that Messi has to change his style just because the opponents decide to tackle the shite out of him everytime he goes on a run. The referees have to change something about that, not the player. "It's the only way to stop him" isn't an excuse either, so just because it's Messi they should be allowed to do so?

Again, not an excuse for today, just a general observation from the last couple of seasons.

footyfan

Calma, calma
First off, he only gave one yellow card for that even though it happened multiple times today.

Well, not all of them are yellow card offences. He can't go around giving yellow cards for every tackle made on Messi just because of the intent. The severity of the tackle is also important.

And I don't agree with the fact that Messi has to change his style just because the opponents decide to tackle the shite out of him everytime he goes on a run. The referees have to change something about that, not the player. "It's the only way to stop him" isn't an excuse either, so just because it's Messi they should be allowed to do so?

I understand where you're coming from but ultimately, it's Barcelona that needs the 3 points, not the referee. Can't depend on the referee to give out cards just because opponents are not allowing us to play our type of football. It's Barcelona and it's players that need to figure something out.

Maybe appoint Mourinho as the manager instead :mou:

Stric

this this this this this this this this this this this this

1. If the ref handed a yellow card for every time a defender did this, we'd be playing against a team of 6-7 players by the end of the game.
2. If the defenders were fair enough not to pull this shit in the first place, Messi would be shooting at goal all the time.

The level of physical abuse Messi gets on the pitch without anyone ever being properly punished for it is incredible.

Galning

Well, not all of them are yellow card offences. He can't go around giving yellow cards for every tackle made on Messi just because of the intent. The severity of the tackle is also important.

He can actually. Every tackle with the sole intention of stopping play is a bookable offence. There's a difference between trying to tackle the ball and coming too late and just trying to hit the opponent. It's really difficult for the referee to spot the intention of the player of course, but it's his job. Nobody said it was easy :p

Pepe Silvia

didn't see the second half but i have noticed how crappy the team has collectively played with messi back. alexis and pedro are back to their withdrawn state and if that's the way its gonna be we can kiss cl goodbye now, because these euro defenses have us figured out when it comes to stopping a one-man barca attack.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
didn't see the second half but i have noticed how crappy the team has collectively played with messi back. alexis and pedro are back to their withdrawn state and if that's the way its gonna be we can kiss cl goodbye now, because these euro defenses have us figured out when it comes to stopping a one-man barca attack.

This. Tata must figure out how to incorporate Messi back to the rhythm our team had prior to his return, and making sure his return is not done at the expense of Pedro's and Alexis' productivity. Having Messi as the focal point of attack makes sense, but he must not be the only point. Marking and paralyzing just one player is relatively easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans