10 - Lionel Messi - v3

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Frejsgodes

cr won the bdor this year, winning 0 titles last season. Even with Messi winning la liga. Their form around october, november will probably be the defining factor. Unless Argentina wins the wc.

Not the same situation. Ronaldo had better stats than Leo for 2013 (69 goals in matches for Ronaldo vs. 45 goals in 46 matches for Leo) and won only one less trophy, i.e Ronaldo won nothing while Leo only won the league.

In 2014 it could be Ronaldo winning as many as 2 or 3 trophies while Leo gets nothing. That's a larger margin in trophies between them them compared to 2013.
And considering that Messi currently had just 2 goals more than Ronaldo, it wont mean much. At least when Ronaldo won in 2013 with no trophies, he scored a lot more goals compared to Messi. And yes, Messi was injured, but that's part of the game.

But yes, it could changes everything if Argentina won the WC. Doubt that happens though.

I agree with Frejsgodes that CR has closed down the margin of current play between the two but should Messi break the overall CL I do think it will be just as big as CR single season. It will all go down to World Cup and if CR continues leading Madrid to trophies this season end. There is much chance for Messi to make up ground and bring his form back, but it will be close again for Balon d'or.

Ronaldo leads at the moment. You have to be a proper Messi fanatic to even think he has the lead. Messi has some catching up to do.

What treble? Atlético is top of the table as far as I can remember [...]

Atletico will drop points before coming to Camp Nou. Book it.

F

Frejsgodes

Like how you predicted City would thrash us? :pep:

But that's OK, we will lose to Atletico the last game. :p

I also predicted we'd lose points in la Liga thus making Madrid catch us and that we'd get exposed by Atletico in the QF. City result is what it is. I still think they could handle us, as I think other English teams such as Chelsea could too.

Hopefully we'll play the youngster and make sure Atletico still wins the league. But knowing us we'll probably clinging on to the naive hope that Real Madrid will somehow lose points in the last round, and that we by beating Atletico at home can win the title. smh

Kerrybai

Not playing like he has been, or with this incompetent board not making the proper transfers business moves etc or with a coach who doesn't kick Messi in the ass to get him pressing and hungry again, and if not bench his ass when needed. Until all that happens, I'm afraid people will be in for a rude awakening.

You never fail to cease an opportunity to put Messi down :lol: Bench his ass? Now iv'e heard it all. Messi is playing in a team with awful tactics.
All jokes aside, Cristiano is comfortably ahead in the race for the Golden Ball anno 2014. Already has more goals, breaking Messi's record in the CL (a huge record that it), and more trophies. Ronaldo could easily end up with a double or treble. Then Messi would have to lead Argentina to glory at the World Cup, which isn't happening. And Ronaldo isn't going to get injured like Messi did in the end of 2013, and even if Ronaldo did get injured, he'd still have bigger margin in trophies than Messi had in 2013.

Soon it'll be 3 Golden Balls to Ronaldo, and 4 for Leo. Ronaldo is slowly, but surely getting there. Leo is no longer the consensus best player.

I rate Ronaldo very highly, I've said before top 20/10 of all time but he is nowhere near the best player and never will be. He scored a tap in and a free kick. Ronaldo against parked buses would be laughable.

Ronaldo will also break the overall CL record, he's only 1 goal behind Messi and he has a final left to play in this season.

And he has played maybe 20 more games? That goal tally statistic means nothing until both players have hung up their boots.

So let's look at things objectively. Messi is playing his worst season riddled with injuries, terrible tactics and a team without motivation. Ronaldo meanwhile is apparently in the form of his life... yet Messi trails him by only 9 goals. Ronaldo isn't fit to shine his shoes.

DinhoR10

Ronaldo scored two goals after the tie was well over, Bayern would've had to score 4 before he scored he just added gravy like he always does. I can think of one final where ronaldo did anything of worth ( 2011 copa del rey).

NotInHere

All I hope is that Leo finds his hunger and desires back. If he has those, he will be almost unstoppable (and he has to work on his rusty touches and finishing :p).
Yup, it just pisses me off him being not playing up to his full potential or him not being utilized correctly, Leo will not get any younger, he still has the energy to do amazing things, but that can only last so long. 26 years old peeps. Still young, but not young enough to slack off.

I know that might sound kinda selfish, but he is paid to do what he loves, the least he could do is give it his all every game.

e28makaveli

Yup, it just pisses me off him being not playing up to his full potential or him not being utilized correctly, Leo will not get any younger, he still has the energy to do amazing things, but that can only last so long. 26 years old peeps. Still young, but not young enough to slack off.

I know that might sound kinda selfish, but he is paid to do what he loves, the least he could do is give it his all every game.

Leo will return with the right tactics, I am sure. Quality and passion for this game does not just evaporate overnight.

There is always a fine line between love and hate and it has all to do with the circumstance. I think Tata's tactics is messing everyone up.

NotInHere

Leo will return with the right tactics, I am sure. Quality and passion for this game does not just evaporate overnight.

There is always a fine line between love and hate and it has all to do with the circumstance. I think Tata's tactics is messing everyone up.
Tata should politely leave, if they keep him again I'll be furious. Everything was fine in the beginning, we were winning games, but towards the end everything started to deteriorate.

Kerrybai

He gives it his all every time he gets the ball. Looking at his stats he has averaged a mere 45 passes per game this season compared to 60/70 plus for other seasons. Less passes = less touches yet he is still somehow averaging around a goal a game despite having far less of the ball.

Just give him the ball and let him do bis thing. Pep and Tito set us up in such a way that Messi was utilised 100%, and as a result the team picked up trophies every season. Like Madrid we need to go back to focusing our game around our star player and playing to his abilities. If we do that then I have no doubt we can reach another CL final and get back on top in La Liga. Messi dependence rocked, but as dependent on Messi as our team was he was equally as dependent on them, as is every great star.

Richard.H

I hate to say this, but I highly doubt Messi will do well in the WC. It's utterly ridiculous to claim that he's playing bad because he's "saving himself for the WC". His form will not magically go up when the WC starts. If anything, he plays worse for Argentina than he does for Barca.

I expect the same type of WC from Messi as he had in 2010, maybe slightly better.

NotInHere

He gives it his all every time he gets the ball. Looking at his stats he has averaged a mere 45 passes per game this season compared to 60/70 plus for other seasons. Less passes = less touches yet he is still somehow averaging around a goal a game despite having far less of the ball.

Just give him the ball and let him do bis thing. Pep and Tito set us up in such a way that Messi was utilised 100%, and as a result the team picked up trophies every season. Like Madrid we need to go back to focusing our game around our star player and playing to his abilities. If we do that then I have no doubt we can reach another CL final and get back on top in La Liga. Messi dependence rocked, but as dependent on Messi as our team was he was equally as dependent on them, as is every great star.
But you have to admit that sometimes he looks unmotivated for whatever reason, you could just tell by the light jogs when he has the ball and the lack of desire to take on defenders.

He was good this past game, his whole focus was just to go forward. That's the Messi that we should always see, alert when his teammates have the ball, always asking for the ball. We really need another man in front of Messi, someone who makes it easier for him so defenders wont always be on his tail. Aguero is a dream.

F

Flavia

But you have to admit that sometimes he looks unmotivated for whatever reason, you could just tell by the light jogs when he has the ball and the lack of desire to take on defenders.

He was good this past game, his whole focus was just to go forward. That's the Messi that we should always see, alert when his teammates have the ball, always asking for the ball. We really need another man in front of Messi, someone who makes it easier for him so defenders wont always be on his tail. Aguero is a dream.

The last game was very telling, imo. He was motivated for Tito. I'm not saying he isn't for Tata, might be some other reason. But something's wrong. This season was a huge mess. And after valdes and pique's injuries, something else broke down harder.

NotInHere

The last game was very telling, imo. He was motivated for Tito. I'm not saying he isn't for Tata, might be some other reason. But something's wrong. This season was a huge mess. And after valdes and pique's injuries, something else broke down harder.
Can we afford to have this mess as we watch Messi get older? I'm not saying Messi is the whole team at all, our team starts from the bottom core, but Leo just so happens to be our most important piece at least against top tier teams. Neymar really needs to come into his own, he needs to cut Messi some slack.

Hopefully the right pieces are put together so we can once again be mesmerized by our football. We can't afford to have this mess when the likes of Iniesta, Messi, Xavi(whose not the same anymore, but his important regardless) Pique, Busquets are still wearing the jersey. Neymar could wait, his still young, and the likes of the newcomers Adama, Deulofeu, Rafihna, all these youngsters could wait imo.

Not our stars right now though, time is ticking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans