10 - Lionel Messi - v3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kerrybai

This is true and if you are being honest to yourself you know that this has been the case for alot of the past season, strange thing is in some matches his fitness dont seem to be a problem. It cant be a lack of stamina really with the amount of matches he has played the past year, burned out? possible but he was injured and almost had a 2 month lay.off so its really strange. You see poeple run the double amount as he is but is not as nearly affected by the heat and humidity. I dont know what it is but its most definatley something.

Maybe that puking was a symptom of some condition? Who knows... it's all very worrying but I see no point in taking guesses as to why his fitness is so poor. We just have to wait and see how he is next season.

You could add to this the fact that playing for nearly 90 minutes in most matches (except against Nigeria) every 3-4 days in the afternoon, in Brazil's grueling heat and humidity (which Messi is not accustomed to) would also take a toll on him. With regards to fatigue.

But alot of players have done that and not seem nearly as affected so i dont Think thats the whole story

Maybe that puking was a symptom of some condition? Who knows... it's all very worrying but I see no point in taking guesses as to why his fitness is so poor. We just have to wait and see how he is next season.

But the puking has been there for a much longer time though...

Icarium

Lifestealer
Every coach says before the match against messi: We know how to stop messi/we have a plan to stop messi

But after the match : We were better but they have best player in the planet......

But seriously lvg nearly neutralized messi, even though messi was not playing at near his best, his little runs proved efficient in before matches actually all matches, Netherlands match credit can be given to palacio and maxi too but he had a very quite night by his stadards. Many coaches know how to stop him, just shadow him with a DM and surround with 3 players when he gets the ball. If he was at his physical best he would have find a way to beat that but now it is just getting harder and harder with better marking. I don't understand one thing though if opponent knows how to stop your best player there must be a counter for that plan right? I mean there must be someway the team mates and coach play like that he gets more space right? Di Maria Higuain and Aguero/Lavezzi are supposed to do that, i don't know what they are doing, so useless aguero lavezzi and even higuain and Di maria not at their usual level. Messi is not at his best but what about the rest. Argentina defense is playing beyond their expectations but what is the rest of attack doing? Argentina reached finals very unconvincingly, i hope that changes in the final.

I don't know what is the problem with messi but it just hurts to see him nullified in some matches, he looks like mortal now. Not only his physical situation but tactics must improve too. Neymar and Suarez might help in that direction, lucho should make the team around messi even though we have neymar and suarez the team should work such that we get the best out of messi again. It has been working for us it will work again just with better tactics.

Empty

Argentina were basically playing a semi-counterattacking 5-2-1-2 formation (4-3-1-2 with Masch playing a god damn DM/CB hybrid), with Lavezzi out wide and Messi isolated for almost the ENTIRE MATCH. It's not hard to stop Messi against that formation, against a mediocre Argentina, with nobody creating any spaces, and gluing 3-5 defenders on Messi at all times.

JamDav1982

Argentina were basically playing a semi-counterattacking 5-2-1-2 formation (4-3-1-2 with Masch playing a god damn DM/CB hybrid), with Lavezzi out wide and Messi isolated for almost the ENTIRE MATCH. It's not hard to stop Messi against that formation, against a mediocre Argentina, with nobody creating any spaces, and gluing 3-5 defenders on Messi at all times.

Messi never had 3/5 defenders on him the whole time against the Netherlands and the reason he does have little room when he receives ball is lack of movement.

For most of the game against the Netherlands he rarely had more than one player marking him. They didnt need to do much more than that.

Galning

Argentina - The Netherlands was a snorefest of both teams not wanting to take any risks and looking to counter or a flash of brilliance from Messi & Robben respectively. I don't think Germany will play the same, there'll be plenty of space on the counter for the Argies.

Kerrybai

Messi never had 3/5 defenders on him the whole time against the Netherlands and the reason he does have little room when he receives ball is lack of movement.

For most of the game against the Netherlands he rarely had more than one player marking him. They didnt need to do much more than that.

While his movement was very poor he was certainly marked tightly. They didn't put 3 players directly on him but they cut off any space he might usually have. They played boxed him out and isolated him from his team mates.

Egert

Estonian Culé
The Master has arrived in Rio :worthy:! Leo make us proud. Vamos Argentina!
a4ubma.jpg

JamDav1982

While his movement was very poor he was certainly marked tightly. They didn't put 3 players directly on him but they cut off any space he might usually have. They played boxed him out and isolated him from his team mates.

They clearly kept men back and in shape and that allowed them to stop him as he was never much attempt from him to make things more difficult with movement etc.

People who act as if he was marked by 3/4 players and there was nothing more he could do are way off the mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans