10 - Lionel Messi - v3

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamDav1982

Messi has a club career that dwarfs Maradona and has already scored more goals than him for Argentina.

What Maradona will have over Messi is the spectacular World Cup.

I suppose it depends on what you thinks makes the better player for me its Messi's career even now. For others it will be Maradona.

F

Frejsgodes

Consensus will always be that Maradona was the greater player unless Leo wins the WC in impressive fashion - whether Barcaforum likes that or not. Has he been as impressive as Maradona in 86? No. But he still saved Argentina on more than one occasion. Let's hope he steps up in the final.

Barcaforum: Messi is already the GOAT. Doesn't need a WC win because of his superiority at club level.
Neutrals: Messi can be the GOAT if the wins a WC and continues to dominate at Barca for another 4-6 years.
Haters: Messi can never be considered the GOAT even if he wins the WC, because he didn't carry Argentina like Maradona did. He also never carried a club to a title, because he always had the very best players around him.

JamDav1982

Consensus will always be that Maradona was the greater player unless Leo wins the WC in impressive fashion - whether Barcaforum likes that or not. Has he been as impressive as Maradona in 86? No. But he still saved Argentina on more than one occasion. Let's hope he steps up in the final.

Barcaforum: Messi is already the GOAT. Doesn't need a WC win because of his superiority at club level.
Neutrals: Messi can be the GOAT if the wins a WC and continues to dominate at Barca for another 4-6 years.
Haters: Messi can never be considered the GOAT even if he wins the WC, because he didn't carry Argentina like Maradona did. He also never carried a club to a title, because he always had the very best players around him.
]

It is nowhere near as black and white as you make out and a lot of 'neutrals' away from this forum think Messi is best ever.

Basing it on one tournament for me is flawed logic, that was an opinion that has nothing to do with being on barcaforum.

That logic tells us Roger Milla was better than Van Basten etc. It makes no sense.

xxxxxx

The 1986 Argentina team was more of a team than Messi's team. People go on about saying Maradona carried Argentina every game in that tournament, but he didn't, it was more like 2 games. Also, there have been injuries to Aguero, Di Maria, and even Higuain has been injuried..... and you can argue Messi isn't fully fit. They've never really had a full attack with their best players all tournament.

I am hoping Messi has an amazing game and wins the World Cup, because he deserves it.

King Leo

Banned
Well it's true, I think Maradona was the greatest ever. Messi is second IMO.

Sometimes I watch videos of Maradona and think he was the best, but other times I think Messi surpassed him. Maradona was not a striker, but also scored alot of goals. Messi plays more of a striker role but the number of assists he makes is crazy!

I think Messi slowing down and turning more into a Maradona, less goals than before but I see him more of a play-maker in the future. So maybe Messi will have two careers and be better than Maradona?

Pele was the greatest in his time, Maradona was 10 or 20 years ahead of his time and Messi is the greatest today. I gave up on the GOAT argument long ago because there's no such thing today or tomorrow.

Daemul

previously known as Jonathan28
Well am i the only one supporting Germany in the final? Im a Barca and Messi fan but im a fan of Germany national team.... so either way im happy and sad whoever wins the final. Happy for Germany and sad for Messi or Happy for Messi and sad about Germany :D Hope its going to be a spectacular Final.

I personally don;t care who wins the final, I just want a good game. I'm worried though because all of Argentina's knock out games have been boring as fuck. Germany will need to score an early goal otherwise I expect another borefest.

Kerrybai

Well it's true, I think Maradona was the greatest ever. Messi is second IMO.

I don't think comparing players from different generations works. Messi and Maradona had different challenges and conditions. What I will say is sports science has advanced a lot since the 80's so for that reason I would always favour the player from the modern era, i.e. if we have this debate in 30 years team between Maradona, Messi and (new great talent) I will side with the new talent again.

poldep

I want Messi to win it, cuz after all that he has done for Barca, I want him to have THIS WC. He has done so much for Barca and I know that this is something he has been wanting for years. I want him to have it!! But reading on the internet only makes me sad..everywhere it says Arg have no chance to win. The Germans will take it blabla.. I can't stand the image of Messi crying if he loses.

L

linetty

David Beckham is thrilled to see Lionel Messi feature in the World Cup final and is backing the Argentina star to lead his team to victory.

"He's amazing", Beckham said in an interview on Adidas football's YouTube channel.

"He gives people so much pleasure with the way he plays and what makes him special is he plays as a team-mate as well, a good team player. He's got great individual skill, but winning means everything to him. If other team-mates score goals he's the first one there to celebrate with them and I think that says a lot about him."

"Playing for Argentina, I'm sure there's a certain amount of pressure, but going as far as they've gone is incredible. It means so much to him, his family and everyone else around the world, the fact Messi's going to be playing on this stage."

Having been reluctant to offer a prediction for the final, Beckham - who will be at the game with his children - eventually tipped Argentina to triumph 3-1.

"Argentina have a group of talented players who play with a lot of passion, but Lionel, I'm just excited to see him play."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans