10 - Lionel Messi - v3

Status
Not open for further replies.

King Leo

Banned
A photo of Messi's historic jersey. I wonder who will get to keep it after the game.

2qibb61.jpg

Last edited:

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I have no idea why non-Agentinians are nervous. Your team isn't playing.

Watching the WC is more fun when your country isn't there to embarrass you. Damn you Scotland!

What is so hard to comprehend?

When your own country is not here, for one reason or another people find teams to support.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
lol @ thinking Messi winning this WC will change anything for the Messi haters. They most certainly will not accept him as the greatest if he wins.

They've already created a new narrative. That Messi hasn't been carrying Argentina like Maradona did, that Messi hasn't been nearly as good.

Messi hasn't been carrying Argentina? :lol:

These people are either blind or retarded.

JamDav1982

Messi hasn't been carrying Argentina? :lol:

These people are either blind or retarded.

He hasnt carried Argentina though they have had a lot of important players with Messi being one of them. Certainly the best in group stages.

Romero, Garay, Masch have all played huge parts in getting them this far.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
A photo of Messi's historic jersey. I wonder who will get to keep it after the game.

2qibb61.jpg

Wait, is that for real?

Why is Messi wearing the Climacool replica jersey in the final? AFA ran out of money to buy the Adizero version jerseys for its players?? :lol:

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
He hasnt carried Argentina though they have had a lot of important players with Messi being one of them. Certainly the best in group stages.

Romero, Garay, Masch have all played huge parts in getting them this far.

Not so much in the last two games, but the first 4 games Messi definitely carried Argentina.

Maradona carrying Argentina doesn't mean other players didn't do their part.

JamDav1982

Not so much in the last two games, but the first 4 games Messi definitely carried Argentina.

We obviously have very different understandings of what 'carrying' a team means then.

Being the best and decisive player doesnt equate to that.

Carrying a team suggests someone is almost single handedly taking his team through etc.

Other Argentina players have been better than just to give Messi full credit for getting through first four games.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
We obviously have very different understandings of what 'carrying' a team means then.

Being the best and decisive player doesnt equate to that.

Carrying a team suggests someone is almost single handedly taking his team through etc.

Other Argentina players have been better than just to give Messi full credit for getting through first four games.

Other players have been better? But Messi scored/created the decisive goals/assist to get Argentina to the quarter-final, right?

Messi was very good last WC performance-wise, apart from not scoring any goals. Did be carry Argentina with his good performances?

And how did Maradona single-handedly carry Argentina? Did he score te goals and make the saves all by himself? ;)

JamDav1982

Other players have been better? But Messi scored/created the decisive goals/assist to get Argentina to the quarter-final, right?

Messi was very good last WC performance-wise, apart from not scoring any goals. Did be carry Argentina with his good performances?

And how did Maradona single-handedly carry Argentina? Did he score te goals and make the saves all by himself? ;)

No I never said other players have been better than Messi, they have performed better than to just dismiss them as part of a team Messi has carried.

Not once have I said Maradona carried Argentina either..

serghei

Argentina would've been first in the group with or without Messi. It was one of the easiest groups from this WC. The only decisive game Messi really made a difference at this World Cup was the Switzerland one. Just my opinion.

Last edited:

Busi-Messi Barca

I think the team has been good, only three goals conceded after all. Mascho, Zabaleta, Garay, Romero, Rojo have stood out. Di Maria has been good apart from one game where he was frustrating. No player can win the world cup on his own including Messi and Maradona. They do come close though.

CatalinR10

Argentina would've been first in the group with or without Messi. It was one of the easiest groups from this WC. The only game Messi really made a difference at this World Cup was the Switzerland one. Just my opinion.

Just because teams are bad on paper doesn't mean that they're the same in the field. A poor team will park the plane the whole game . That's what happened with Iran. If Messi didn't have that impact in the first games , Argentina would be home after the groups. It isn't logical to say that they would be 1'st when Messi scored the winning goals in every game and had overall scored 90% of the team's goals. If the group was so easy , why didn't Aguero , Di Maria , Lavezzi or anyother player mop the floor with those teams ?

suckabov

Lemon curry?
I just hope that he'll have a great game, regardless of the outcome. Would be kinda heartbreaking to see him not to his best for one of the most importants moment of his career, especially if it's down to something like fitness issues. :(

JamDav1982

Just because teams are bad on paper doesn't mean that they're the same in the field. A poor team will park the plane the whole game . That's what happened with Iran. If Messi didn't have that impact in the first games , Argentina would be home after the groups. It isn't logical to say that they would be 1'st when Messi scored the winning goals in every game and had overall scored 90% of the team's goals. If the group was so easy , why didn't Aguero , Di Maria , Lavezzi or anyother player mop the floor with those teams ?

I dont think it is quite that simple.

Without Messi they would play a different way, at moment the way they play their whole attack is focused on him and other players do have to press more etc.

The group games showed that Argentina have put all their money on Messi and it worked as he was the decisive factor but some of the poor performances in those games were down to Messi being quiet and poor at times also.

serghei

If Messi didn't have that impact in the first games , Argentina would be home after the groups. It isn't logical to say that they would be 1'st when Messi scored the winning goals in every game and had overall scored 90% of the team's goals.

So, your logic is: Messi scored most of Argentina's goals in the group, so if you take away his goals ARG would've been sent packing?

Not very rational.

I could say that if Di Maria wouldn't have scored that goal vs Switzerland, Argentina would've been sent home. Same applies with Romero.

The thing is, Messi didn't carry this team to the final. The team played well as a whole. If anything, the defence and Romero have been the biggest surprise at this World Cup. Not Messi.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans