10 - Lionel Messi - v3

Status
Not open for further replies.

serghei

I dont think it is quite that simple.

Without Messi they would play a different way, at moment the way they play their whole attack is focused on him and other players do have to press more etc.

+1. When people say "without Messi" they actually erase Messi's existence from the game. As if Argentina played that game with 10 men.

I dont think it is quite that simple.
The group games showed that Argentina have put all their money on Messi and it worked as he was the decisive factor but some of the poor performances in those games were down to Messi being quiet and poor at times also.

Exactly this. And against Nederland, it was clear that the game has been carried out well by the defence mostly. That's why no offensive player came even close of getting MotM in that game.

Anyway, I find it pretty unreasonable to say the differece between Argentina and Bosnia, Iran, Nigeria is just Messi.

Last edited:

CatalinR10

So, your logic is: Messi scored most of Argentina's goals in the group, so if you take away his goals ARG would've been sent packing?

Not very rational.

I could say that if Di Maria wouldn't have scored that goal vs Switzerland, Argentina would've been sent home. Same applies with Romero.

The thing is, Messi didn't carry this team to the final. The team played well as a whole. If anything, the defence and Romero have been the biggest surprise at this World Cup. Not Messi.

No. Since the offensive line was verry poor in the group games and with Messi almost scoring al Argentina goals , it is easy to assume what I've said. Higuain missed big chances and wasn't at his best , Di Maria wasn't even at 40% of his Real Madrid form , Aguero was one of the flops of the tournament. Lavezzi was mediocre and Palacio....man..don't even get me started on him. I fail to see how Argentina would have qualified.

Sure the team , overall , had a bigger impact than Messi had in the games vs Belgium and Netherlands but still , I think they would not have qualified without Messi out of the group.

Stric

I think Germany is too strong for Argentina, but if it's his night, there's nothing that Messi's moments of brilliance can't outdo. Good luck and VAMOS LEO!!!

10550870_10202955924472004_4665614036881623206_n.jpg

Icarium

Lifestealer
I wonder how many of the people who are saying maradona or pele is the best ever have seen them play live. I for one haven't seen them play and for me messi is the best ever and the result of this match does not matter. Unless I see someone better than him he will be the best. I am saying he is the best ever because his achievements are better than those 2 legends. He conquered league, Europe and 1 step away from conquering world and he has 4 ballon d'or and I think he is capable of getting 2 more. I am not entering this discussion because everyone is entitled to their opinion and i can't change their opinion, comparing players between ages is very hard. I dont know how good maradona or pele were but when I see messi I just get the feeling I will never see a player with as much talent as this guy. This is a forum and you are supposed to discuss and argue but I think this discussion will never have a conclusion.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Tapatalk

ViscaBarca914

BLASPHEMY!
The reality is that Messi dragged them to the KO rounds. Since then every game has been a team effort with Messi playing a vital role in the team. He has been their most important player by far this tournament along with masch.
This is what I have been waiting for. The most important match of Messi's life.
Let's sit back and try to enjoy :D.

I definitely won't be in the chat and I suggest a lot of people do the same. Having people bitch and complain about his every mistake and every time he walks is just ridiculous.
Enjoy this game as much as you can people. Might not happen again.

PaulFCB

Banned
Without Messi, an outcome similar to 1990 would have been...possible. Only that in 1990 they made it to the 2nd Round from 3rd place behind Cameroon and Romania with 4 points and somehow dragged themselves to the final, in 2014 this would've meant the outcome of 2002, so adios WC from the Group Stage.
A Messi in 2002 would've helped them make it to the 2nd Round and to an eventual final with Germany after needing to pass Senegal, Turkey and Brazil on that road, if you look at it, it would've been very possible that they could've made it...

I

instinct

I can't even say that Messi is the best ever. Like iamrohith said, I haven't seen Maradona and Pelé play but I can say that Messi is the best player I've ever seen. Wether he is the best ever or not, don't know. I let people judge who witnessed the magic of all 3 but Messi is surely the best player of my generation.

Icarium

Lifestealer
Maradona did not even score in the final in a 5 goal match, I dont know he single handedly won and messi is just another guy in the team. For winning matches you need your team to work well everyone not just one player. One man can never win a match single handedly and I am sure maradona had some help just what messi is getting now. I am getting tired of these haters. Even I am not going to be in chat, I want to enjoy the match.

Busi-Messi Barca

I wonder how many of the people who are saying maradona or pele is the best ever have seen them play live. I for one haven't seen them play and for me messi is the best ever and the result of this match does not matter. Unless I see someone better than him he will be the best. I am saying he is the best ever because his achievements are better than those 2 legends. He conquered league, Europe and 1 step away from conquering world and he has 4 ballon d'or and I think he is capable of getting 2 more. I am not entering this discussion because everyone is entitled to their opinion and i can't change their opinion, comparing players between ages is very hard. I dont know how good maradona or pele were but when I see messi I just get the feeling I will never see a player with as much talent as this guy. This is a forum and you are supposed to discuss and argue but I think this discussion will never have a conclusion.

I've seen Maradona play live but not Pele! I agree the argument is pointless and there is no right answer. Everyone has a favourite and comparing different generation's is unfair anyway.

At the end of the day does it really matter, its pretty childish. :)

Devils

Best ever for me, regardless of what happens today.

That being said, Leo has all of my support today, I'll be cheering for him like I have never done before.

Kerrybai

Hopefully, yes. I really want him to win the World Cup.

If only he was in his peak physical condition (2009-2012). The current Messi has no stamina, but surely that can be rectified next season. Messi hasn't carried Argentina to the final but I do think he's been their most valuable player. The likes of Masch have been great too. Unfortunately for Messi his fitness is off and the way Argentina set up against the Dutch gave him little to work with, and I expect the same to happen tonight.

They will play defensively and the forwards won't get much to work with, and if Argentina lose Messi will get the blame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans