10 - Lionel Messi - v3

Status
Not open for further replies.

raki

I don't think that will change. Messi is defended like that with Argentina, where he has Di Maria, Higuan, and Aguero. He's the most marked player in the world.

Watching Madrid sometimes, Ronaldo has so much room to operate.

Different playing styles. Barça only knows 1 kind of football. Is annoying.

Kerrybai

We don't need to rest Messi much though, most players cover 10 plus KM per game, Messi is at around 8.5. Its also worth remembering that he played almost every game under Pep and was rarely injured.

footyfan

Calma, calma
He's in fantastic shape, although the finishing and tenacity for attacking the box is still not up to his 2012 standards, and there were some sloppy passes in the first half. The difference to last season is clear to see, whether it was because of 'saving himself for WC' or Tata.

That dribble that culminated in the toepoke shot, no other player in the world can do that. And he gets better at it year after year. He's just faster than everybody else.

CuleLife4Life

His dribbling is back to where it used to be too which is great to see.

While it sucks to see Ronaldo scoring so many goals and Messi not scoring as many due to his new role, I think this is the better set up for the team. Messi's play-making abilities are second to none and now we are really taking advantage of that.

Honestly I'm not even upset. Penaldo can score the goals but as long as Messi plays for the team, even if that includes not scoring, I'll be happy as ever. Individual awards can't replace team awards.

F

Flavia

Honestly I'm not even upset. Penaldo can score the goals but as long as Messi plays for the team, even if that includes not scoring, I'll be happy as ever. Individual awards can't replace team awards.

Messi didn't score in the greatest clasico ever, the manita in 2010. Assisted twice, was instrumental. That's what makes him so great. Not just goals.

blaugrana1987

Messi is slowly getting back to his best. Had he score that pen against levante and 2-3 more today and against Rayo he would have numbers from last few seasons.

What makes me happy though is the fact that his dribling is getting better and better. Surely he is going to get more deadly as Suarez comes back.

footyfan

Calma, calma
No he's not losing the ball any more than he used to, he always lost the ball a lot... but that is perfectly normal as he's the one who makes the most forward passes and runs on the team. Luckily for us he is also the best on the team in this area.

You might want to check out whoscored's new 'detailed tab' feature. It shows the number of unsuccessful dribbles now, and Messi's unsuccessful dribbles have been higher than his successful ones unlike in previous years. On the other hand, his possession losses are lower.

http://www.whoscored.com/Players/11119/History/Lionel-Messi (go to the detailed tab, under category, pick dribbles)

dakt

That goal was insane. I can analyse it for years. Vision, pass, perfect accuracy. If he had been lucky enough hat-trick would fall easily (head + in between legs)
Oh what a player he is.:worthy:

BarcaVillain

Ronaldo is now the ultimate goalscorer, and kudos to him. Chances are, people will praise him because of it. Anyone whose opinion matters will know that there is more to football than that. However, let them decide.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
That goal was insane. I can analyse it for years. Vision, pass, perfect accuracy. If he had been lucky enough hat-trick would fall easily (head + in between legs)
Oh what a player he is.:worthy:

Not to forget the layoff by Neyboy in the buildup :worthy:

doublehh03

Ronaldo is now the ultimate goalscorer, and kudos to him. Chances are, people will praise him because of it. Anyone whose opinion matters will know that there is more to football than that. However, let them decide.

He's also taking 2x more shots than anyone else. His main job is to score, and pretty much nothing else. Madrid has gone nuts offensively so far this year, and he has had a whopping 1 assists in the league.

Devils

Ronaldo is the ultimate goalscorer for the past month. He's been in insane form, but he isn't going to be scoring hattricks every game/second game for the rest of the season like he's done this past month.

Messi is still scoring lots and I wouldn't be surprised at all if Leo hit a sensational goal scoring run too and ends up with a goal tally similar to Ronaldo by the end of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans