10 - Lionel Messi - v3

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
aaaaa, to put long story short, buying neymar meant only that messi's role was bound to change. And it has led us to here. And with luis suarez is has further changed.

Yeah. Changed for the better. Messi is not a classical #9 neither will he play on the wing(Because he doesn't want to do so and because it will limit his influence on the game which is just not worth it) and with these parked buses, compact defences, you need more weapons to break them down and that's where the likes of Neymar and Suarez comes in.

Gohan

Super Saiyan
I don't give a damn about the Ballon D'or anymore. People can't look past Ronaldo's goals. He had a horrendous World Cup and wasn't decisive in the CL Final. The guy stacks hattricks against teams like Elche and people praise him into heaven. Also people who say Messi didn't play a good World Cup.

Which comes to my conclusion : Messi being at the top for so many years, people want change. How good Messi plays, people will look beyond it and look for reasons to deny him what he deserves. Ballon D'Or isn't what it used it be.

Butaan4barca

Yes, the Messi-Neymar combo is one big failure this season!

don't mis interpret. Its not a failure, but for it to work messi had to sacrifice himself. And thats what he is doing. Now consider this a problem or extreme advantage with having messi in the team is he is equally good passer, interpretetion of the game, and his tactical ability as good as he is a scoring ability that he has owned this new role. But that sure has a payoff, which is pretty obvious lesser goals from him.

By that i didn't mean to say he has gotten worse, i don't believe that. he is happy with his new, true no 10 role, then previously false 9. And so am i.
But lesser goals are fully made up for in the form of assists and chances created by him.

Now when i was refering back to my earlier post of "no need to buy neymar as it will effect messi's game" posts, by that i was only pointing out that this was bound to happen, good or worse thats matter of individual perspective. but earlier i believed that messi was scoring goals, like crazy and there was no need to buy another main stream , focal point sort of a player.

But now that we have both, this new messi role has been sublime. And by the way, in those posts i also explained how messi role needs to be deeper and more of a playmaker to accomodate neymar & alexis (at that time)

Last edited:

Pepe Silvia

I don't give a damn about the Ballon D'or anymore. People can't look past Ronaldo's goals. He had a horrendous World Cup and wasn't decisive in the CL Final. The guy stacks hattricks against teams like Elche and people praise him into heaven. Also people who say Messi didn't play a good World Cup.

Which comes to my conclusion : Messi being at the top for so many years, people want change. How good Messi plays, people will look beyond it and look for reasons to deny him what he deserves. Ballon D'Or isn't what it used it be.
tumblr_ne670iqtCs1s5e5bko1_500.gif

Chong Li

Media power.

Absolutely! If you read german (or swiss) media outlets, they almost always base their (poorly written) articles on AS and Marca. It always sounds like "according to the spanish Sportspaper Marca blabla...".

Latest example was the fake story about "arrogant Messi doesn't respect his coach and rejects sub" just last week.

And thanks to our incompetent and ball-less board the club doesn't fight these fabricated lies at all and Messi is seen as a villain.

Jägermeister

Do they not represent/reflect the general opinion of German sports fans (or football fans to be more precise)?

Bild is one of those papers who do everything to sell as much as possible. Rumors, half-truths and things like " am I stupid when I still work?" are their headlines. Therefore they represent the opinions of people who read such trash papers.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire

Well said. People are tired of seeing Messi on top for too long, people take his out-of-this-world level for granted and are holding him against that standard, anything short of that level makes people unimpressed. In short, people have been spoiled.

And for the record, he is not hated by the general public or the general football fans, only by fringe fans (Real Madrid fans particularly). Most sane football fans recognize that he is the best footballer in the world.

Paganinisrvnge

I think he's going to break all sorts of assist records once Suarez starts scoring for fun. The question is whether people will appreciate him as much if he isn't scoring as much as Ronaldo. Intelligent football fans will but a lot of people will only look at goals.

raskolnikov

People will continue to say things like: Messi isnt scoring like he did in 2011 or 2012 therefore he is moremediocre now compared to a Ronaldo who is at the same level without a drop in form.
Not realizing how high his level was, still is, and football wise superior to anyone, even today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans