10 - Lionel Messi - v4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morten

I think you have to factor in that South American sides are so awkward to play against as well and play like it's the 1980s and the referees allow it. The Copa America probably has more strength in depth now than even the Euros and the top teams are as strong. To win this competition Argentina would have had to get past Uruguay and Paraguay, Colombia and probably Brazil and Chile. Whoever wins the Euros next year will have an easier path. Although Chile have been very lucky with their draw.

Messi's winning the MOTM awards in this tournament so he's still the stand out performer. Argentina just aren't putting the ball in the net enough and Messi needs to be more prolific but he's putting them on a plate for players who can't finish.

Perhaps, but i recon that the top teams in Europe are at a higher level than the teams in South-America. It has been that way for a while.

jamarcus

For Messi high standards, one goal off a PK doesn't scream standout performer of the tournament. A much better performance overall than his 2011 Copa America though.
Nonsense. Messi's performance against Costa Rica in 2011 is miles ahead of anything he has offered in this tournament. Messi was also excellent against Uruguay, Colombia and Bolivia. He's played well this time around but he's nowhere near as decisive in the final third as he can be.

[youtube]qua4fKSCYDg[/youtube]

Messi was also better in 2007 than he is playing in this tournament.

F

Flavia

[tw]614832537551114240[/tw]

Those refs :facepalm:

Messi should had scored that header though. His performances haven't been good(for his standards) this copa. I think the long season is taking its toll on him.

Mitchell1978

The tournament has been awesome! Quite a nice break from stale and boring European football. I think I'm going to start watching some more South American games from next season.

You serious (or trolling again)? Most teams in the CA play a boring, defensive and very cynical game, constanly fouling etc. Tournament is barely averaging 2 goals a game.

doublehh03

[tw]614832537551114240[/tw]

Those refs :facepalm:

Messi should had scored that header though. His performances haven't been good(for his standards) this copa. I think the long season is taking its toll on him.

If you count him not scoring as not playing to his standards, sure. But his overall game is at a high level. ARG isn't finishing. They absolutely dominated Colombia. Messi has had games like this during the season where he didn't score, but his play impacted games, like it did tonight.

F

Flavia

If you count him not scoring as not playing to his standards, sure. But his overall game is at a high level. ARG isn't finishing. They absolutely dominated Colombia. Messi has had games like this during the season where he didn't score, but his play impacted games, like it did tonight.

Not talking only about the game vs colombia, but all games so far. He can do much better, but tiredness is surely playing a part too. Also the overall play of his nt, he can't make players like di maria play well.

Egert

Estonian Culé
He has been the best vs Uruguay and vs Columbia so far this Copa. Let's see what happens in the coming games.

BarcaOG

Banned
Messi hasn't scored, sure, but when he has the ball he looks miles ahead of everyone else. He's played very well as far as I'm concerned.

Truthist

I thought Messi was fantastic but Colombia were a disgrace. Anytime an Argentinian player went on a run they would get cynically hacked down and the referee would wave play on.

I'm surprised there wasn't a brawl,they were behaving like thugs.

Ritchie

Indeed I think this has been the worst copa America in my memory

It was bad enough last time with Paraguay not winning a game, barely scoring a goal and making the final through penalty shootouts. The lack of extra time further encourages negative play.

Hopefully the one next year in the US will be better with stronger referees,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans