10 - Lionel Messi - v4

Status
Not open for further replies.

serghei

That picture proves what I'm talking about. Messi doesn't have the players around him to play simple passes in the middle.... he has players who like to play it direct.

I don't think it's about playing direct and I don't think it's just Martino's fault. I think it's about having too many individualistic players who think they can make the difference on their own. The real fact is that the only player who can do that every game from their team is Messi. The sooner some of their players realize this, the better.

AnnieSureshot

Neymar plays with a poor Brazilian side and always manages to make a difference. Guerrero is surrounded by players who often seem to have problems with simple passes, yet ends up Copa top scorer. Don't know what's up with Messi and Argentina, not sure if him not scoring is a sole fault of other players.
They appeared better under Sabella last year, so I'd point to Tata as the weakest link.

serghei

They appeared better under Sabella last year, so I'd point to Tata as the weakest link.

Not to me. Every important game they've played in the World Cup last year was decided by very small margins and by luck as well. In fact, the best game they've played in the last two years came under Tata Martino. To me, the difference between this Argentina and the last year's Argentina is marginal.

Kerrybai

I'm gutted for Messi, international trophies or not he's still the best ever for me. I hope he enjoys his time off and bounces back in style.

AnnieSureshot

Not to me. Every important game they've played in the World Cup last year was decided by very small margins and by luck as well. In fact, the best game they've played in the last two years came under Tata Martino. To me, the difference between this Argentina and the last year's Argentina is marginal.

Last year they were head to head with Germany. This year they couldn't get past Chile. They do always seem to win or lose by a hair but the quality of the opponent matters too.

serghei

I'm gutted for Messi, international trophies or not he's still the best ever for me. I hope he enjoys his time off and bounces back in style.

He is to me as well, obviously. You can't say he's not because of two games that ended draws inside 90 mins. And that could have easily gone either way. You can't say Messi is not the best ever because Burruchaga scored against Germany in 86, and Palacio missed. Those are such fine margins that they can't base a solid argument IMO. Back to back finals in World Cup and Copa America ain't failling btw.

serghei

To me World Cup Germany definitely beats the "barely-scraped-past-10-man-Peru" Chile.

Germany barely beat modest Algeria after Neuer was man of the match. Chile could have beaten Germany last night as well IMO. If I remember right, Pinilla hit the post in the last min. of extra time against Brazil in the World Cup. Again, very fine margins. Chile could have easily been in the last 8 while Germany could have been out in the last 16 at the last World Cup. Outside the 7-1 against Brazil, which was a freak accident caused by Brazil missing their two best players mostly, Germany didn't impress me one bit.

Last edited:

DrPepper

To me World Cup Germany definitely beats the "barely-scraped-past-10-man-Peru" Chile.

What about "luckily-scraped-past-Algeria-only-because-of-best-goalkeeper-of-all-time"? ;) Not sure you can base this on one match.

Anyway what I'm saying is that Chile's been underrated for a long time and they can fight with the big boys. They beat Spain, narrowly lost against Brazil, beat Argentina etc.

Alik

I think both Chile and Argentina were poor in the Copa America final.

Both Argentina and Germany were very good in the WC final.

AnnieSureshot

Germany barely beat modest Algeria after Neuer was man of the match.

I think it was more of a case of underestimating an opponent. Chile could have beaten the current Germany maybe, but still couldn't really beat Argentina yesterday. It was a draw (on their home soil).

AnnieSureshot

What about "luckily-scraped-past-Algeria-only-because-of-best-goalkeeper-of-all-time"? ;) Not sure you can base this on one match.

well, ok you can't judge a team base on just one match. Germany had a poor game with Algeria, but a great World Cup. Chile's Copa wasn't that good really, was it?

SeloBarca

Messi was poor yesterday, fanboys should just realize that.
His lack of movement of the ball made is extremly easy for Chile to mark him out of the game.

But the team is not not good enough to help him out either. Its just a team filled with egoists.
Without Messi Argentina couldnt do anything. He got no help finding space or anything.
Maradona didnt have as good players around him individually, but as a team they were far superior to todays Argentina.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans