10 - Lionel Messi - v4

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
There's rumours that he's seriously considering taking a break from the NT.

I wouldn't blame him as some major newspapers are actually blaming him, not the team, nor the coach, but him, a single player for their defeat to Chile.

Diario Ole's Editor was at a Cadena Ser show and said he was Argentina's worst player in the final.

He doesn't owe Argentina anything. The so-called Player of the People has won jack shit, has a horrible goal record, and gets a lot of love from their press, but the guy who will probably end up holding all major records for Argentina gets shat on? FFS he should've just chosen to play for Spain.

It's not like Maradona always played great. He was criticized for his form in the NT until the WC 86. Before that, Maradona got the same criticism that Messi is getting. The biggesst difference though, is that Maradona had teammates who could take their chances. For example, look at the WC final 86. Maradona was invisible in that game until that assist to Burruchaga. Imagine if Higuain would have scored those chances at the WC final and the Copa America final, while Burruchaga would have missed. Maradona right now would have been called a NT flopp, while no one would criticize Messi now for his form in the NT..

Plus Maradona had one of the best defenses ever and someone by the name of Jorge Valdano, possibly the best RM player of his era.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire

I wouldn't blame him as some major newspapers are actually blaming him, not the team, nor the coach, but him, a single player for their defeat to Chile.

Diario Ole's Editor was at a Cadena Ser show and said he was Argentina's worst player in the final.

He is definitely taking a beating from this defeat, but I don't think Messi will quit the NT. He really loves Argentina more than these jokers can imagine.

Ini8

¡Gr?*cies Xavi!

I presume there was no mention of his teammates?

NotInHere

I've been an argentina fan since the 86 world cup. I'm one of the biggest messi fans you'll find. But I couldn't help but think to myself during the final 'why aren't messi and his teammates killing themselves to get to the ball like they did against colombia?'. I still don't know why. I'm assuming they wanted this trophy more than anything. I'm pretty sure they are as talented as the chile team. Was it intimidation by the fans? That can't be it, they play in the biggest stadiums in the world. Was it the team system? Was it too much pressure on messi? Honestly I couldn't help but think he needs to run until he can't run anymore and leave everything on the field. I just don't know...
Messi is not known to give you the workrate of a Diego Costa, sometimes I feel like it is one of his weakness if he has any, one thing is to run like a headless chicken which is foolish to do and another is to try to impose your will in a game when things aren't going your way, thing is I didn't even see him try often enough.

Pooz

Must be really great to be a part of argentina squad, if you score one goal but play bad in the entire competition, you did better than Messi, if you fuck things up, it's Messi's fault.

Beast

The Observer
He doesn't owe Argentina anything. The so-called Player of the People has won jack shit, has a horrible goal record, and gets a lot of love from their press, but the guy who will probably end up holding all major records for Argentina gets shat on? FFS he should've just chosen to play for Spain.

Plus Maradona had one of the best defenses ever and someone by the name of Jorge Valdano, possibly the best RM player of his era.
ROFL....excuse i have to laugh because i was actually living that time..Valdano was not the best player of RM era scoring 40 goals in 3 years wasn't something to talk about .. Buitre was .. Valdano was simply a striker much like Higuain/Lavezzi now nothing fancy just gets the job done with nothing to talk about ..he is more known through his management role than being a good player
As for the best defense ? seriously ? the current defenders shit on the ones Maradona had.. if you talk about the previous generation with Passerella i could have agreed but Jose Brown , Ruggeri co .. Jesus.. they were crap .. most of them faded away apart from Ruggeri stint who move to Real for a year and was shipped back to Argentina end of his first season... he had no one like Otamendi, Zabaleta nor the amazing Mascherano..
He made them all better ... same like he did to his underdogs in Napoli.. that's Maradona he make average players feels like world beater

As for Cesdel post
Maradona could have been the youngest player ever to win the WC if Menotti didn't exclude him fearing his young age (17 ) in 1978 WC...
he picked him for the youth WC & he was like 1986 devastating...he was the man of the people and loved .. but at this age what he had was the temper which was calmed down as he progressed and after he left Barcelona
he doesn't need a great goal record because he wasn't a false 9 nor a striker.. Maradona was mainly an AM who sometimes played an SS but never the man in the center like Messi did always a striker in front of him and through out his career he was always given a free roaming role that's why most of his famous dribbles you'll see him starting from the center of the pitch .. .. never in Messi position & certainly the defenders where a lot tougher & better than now
The NT was dominated by the 1978 WC winning generation until Dr. Billardo took over .. the Maradona-Passerella never got along at all and yes Maradona was man marked with 2 players for 90 minutes like shadows from Lother Matthäus and yet his decisive assist made it happen
Messi will be like Di Stefano probably.. having the greatest club record of all time but for the NT ? it's still Maradona for them for so many reasons including the England match...
but there is time for Messi in the next world cup.. with proper management & more mental strength & self believe they can easily win it.. they still have the best squad on paper minus few weak points like IMO Romero who barely play all season but the Otamendi-Garay-Rojo-Zab and General Mascehrano they are very very solid at the defense.. superior in the attack but lacks another midfielder beside Di Maria-Pastore & Masch ... seriously Argentina can still supply 4 international big team with firs class strikers till now even with people like Milito gone.. the future is bright and a WC 2018 is not beyond Messi & co reach

dakt

I think it's a bit disrespectul to refuse a prize no matter of ones preference.

It is disrespectful, but considering the situation it's logical. The pressure people put on him is just insane.
Fuk all of you who are doing that. We all know Messi is capable to do anything, but sometimes you just need luck. I'm sure Maradona had that factor.

GOAT!

mehdimike

It's not like Maradona always played great. He was criticized for his form in the NT until the WC 86. Before that, Maradona got the same criticism that Messi is getting. The biggesst difference though, is that Maradona had teammates who could take their chances. For example, look at the WC final 86. Maradona was invisible in that game until that assist to Burruchaga. Imagine if Higuain would have scored those chances at the WC final and the Copa America final, while Burruchaga would have missed. Maradona right now would have been called a NT flopp, while no one would criticize Messi now for his form in the NT..

I agree that always you need some luck but saying he would have been called a NT flop is a bit exaggeration IMO.

This is taken from his Wiki page :

Maradona followed this with two more goals in a semi-final match against Belgium at the Azteca, including another virtuoso dribbling display for the second goal. In the final match, the opposing West German side attempted to contain him by double-marking, but he nevertheless found the space past the West German player Lothar Matthäus to give the final pass to Jorge Burruchaga for the winning goal. Argentina beat West Germany 3–2 in front of 115,000 spectators at the Azteca.[61][65]

During the course of the tournament, Maradona attempted or created more than half of Argentina's shots, embarked on 90 dribbles some three times more than any other player and was fouled 53 times winning his team twice as many free kicks as any player.[66][67] Maradona scored or assisted 10 of Argentina's 14 goals including the assist for the winning goal in the final, ensuring that he would be remembered as one of the greatest names in football history

So surely he was phenomenal,if these stats are right.

Beast

The Observer
I agree that always you need some luck but saying he would have been called a NT flop is a bit exaggeration IMO.

This is taken from his Wiki page :

Maradona followed this with two more goals in a semi-final match against Belgium at the Azteca, including another virtuoso dribbling display for the second goal. In the final match, the opposing West German side attempted to contain him by double-marking, but he nevertheless found the space past the West German player Lothar Matthäus to give the final pass to Jorge Burruchaga for the winning goal. Argentina beat West Germany 3–2 in front of 115,000 spectators at the Azteca.[61][65]

During the course of the tournament, Maradona attempted or created more than half of Argentina's shots, embarked on 90 dribbles some three times more than any other player and was fouled 53 times winning his team twice as many free kicks as any player.[66][67] Maradona scored or assisted 10 of Argentina's 14 goals including the assist for the winning goal in the final, ensuring that he would be remembered as one of the greatest names in football history

So surely he was phenomenal,if these stats are right.

The stats are right.. 5 goals silver shoe after Lineker 6 goals and 5 assists top of the assist chart in the world cup
3 in Korea for Valdano (2 ) and Ruggeri ) and 1 for Burruchaga against Bulgaria 1 in the final against Germany.. rest of the games apart from the Uruguay match was scored by him alone (Italy-England-Belgium )

Faceless

No more faces at night
Player with his kind of talent always gets criticized if they don't meet the demands of the people. There are PLENTY of legends in history that has not won the world cup/any major trophy with the same amount of importance. Yet, we can treat Messi like he is a flawless God. He has his fault and I really do appreciate him for has he done for club and country; but you really cannot say people can't criticize him because he hasn't won the World Cup or the Copa America. He has to and the people want him to.

Sterlingfan2000

Is there any rational Explanation why stupid Aguero is always XI? He is so shit in Argentenia and still get picked above Tevez. Cant be Football reason

For me Maradonna is better than Messi , because he didnt depend on a certain Football style or very good Players. But everyone has their own opinion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans