10 - Lionel Messi - v4

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Flavia

[tw]626741213505392640[/tw]

[tw]626737312400064512[/tw]

I assumed that Rivaldo wanted to say something like that, but he said it in a wrong way.
Plus, that part about how he would be the best player in the world was too egoistic and not needed.
You assumed wrong. Rivaldo meant the quality of the players is lower, regardless of the team they play, rm or almeria.
It's not Messi who has a high level, it's all opposiiton that is low. Rivaldo is dead wrong, just being an attention whore and saying bs. And who else, besides Messi and cr, are scoring that many goals? No one.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
tumblr_nsaw1xoocz1tlc3zvo1_400.gif

tumblr_nsaw1xoocz1tlc3zvo3_400.gif

BBZ8800

But, to my knowledge, no one is close to Messi and CR numbers. Doesn't that say anything?

It says:
1) that either both players are the best players in a history, and they played in the same era, which is highly unlikely
2) the 2nd option is that Messi is the best ever (which he is) and he would score an insane number of Goals in any era. CR7, while he is a very good player, is a reason why you need to raise your eyebrows and ask yourself whether the current teams are superteams in which key players have much better individual stats than equally good players in 80s, 90s or 00s when the top teams weren't as rich and much better than the opponents as today.

But everything about that has been said, so no need to go offtopic, especially on Messi's topic :p
So, I'll stop here.

You assumed wrong. Rivaldo meant the quality of the players is lower, regardless of the team they play, rm or almeria.
It's not Messi who has a high level, it's all opposiiton that is low. Rivaldo is dead wrong, just being an attention whore and saying bs. And who else, besides Messi and cr, are scoring that many goals? No one.

CR7.

That rings bells, at least for me.

But again, let's stop it here.

khaled_a_d

It says:
1) that either both players are the best players in a history, and they played in the same era, which is highly unlikely
2) the 2nd option is that Messi is the best ever (which he is) and he would score an insane number of Goals in any era. CR7, while he is a very good player, is a reason why you need to raise your eyebrows and ask yourself whether the current teams are superteams in which key players have much better individual stats than equally good players in 80s, 90s or 00s when the top teams weren't as rich and much better than the opponents as today.

But everything about that has been said, so no need to go offtopic, especially on Messi's topic :p
So, I'll stop here.

CR7.

I hate to go off-topic ,but the way you are saying it .the 1st option is way more likely than 2nd one .like way way more likely

F

Flavia

It says:

So, I'll stop here.

CR7.

I asked who else, besides Messi and cr. And you answer cr :lol:

That doesn't ring any bells. Gerd Mueller also scored tons back in the day.
If players like Suarez and Ibra were scoring as much, that could hold water.

JamDav1982

It says:

So, I'll stop here.

CR7.

This idea that this is an easier era for Messi and Ronaldo at 'super teams' again....

There have been dominant teams in every era and in every country. It is nothing unique.

You cant use the point totals of Real and Barca of evidence of how easy La Liga is now and down play their goal stats. It is a ridiculous argument to suggest the more dominant those players make their teams the more it works against them in the argument over how good they are.

If it is so easy to do where are the other players doing it for Real and Barca before Messi/Ronaldo when the teams still dominated financially? Where are the players doing it in other leagues where some teams are vastly richer than others?

The CL is stronger than it has ever been and Messi/Ronaldo are out scouring everyone there as well.

That is not to say Ronaldos goals make him up there in discussion as best ever anyway as there are far more elements to take into play. But he is without doubt one of the best goalscorers ever.

khaled_a_d

This idea that this is an easier era for Messi and Ronaldo at 'super teams' again....

There have been dominant teams in every era and in every country. It is nothing unique.

You cant use the point totals of Real and Barca of evidence of how easy La Liga is now and down play their goal stats. It is a ridiculous argument to suggest the more dominant those players make their teams the more it works against them in the argument over how good they are.

If it is so easy to do where are the other players doing it for Real and Barca before Messi/Ronaldo when the teams still dominated financially? Where are the players doing it in other leagues where some teams are vastly richer than others?

The CL is stronger than it has ever been and Messi/Ronaldo are out scouring everyone there as well.

That is not to say Ronaldos goals make him up there in discussion as best ever anyway as there are far more elements to take into play. But he is without doubt one of the best goalscorers ever.

Agree with most of this ,and I don't really remember 2 players who has been dominant in their era like Messi and Cr7 and separated themselves from the rest of the pack like them . they are the only 2 doing this
But I gotta disagree with last line ,Cr7 is for sure one of the greatest ever and very high on the list . the Barca-RM & Messi vs Cr7 rivalry has gone a bit too far to underrate him .he is one the of the game greatest legends and was/is a worthy rival for Messi.
Their rivalry is probably greatest in football history (player wise) and both benefited from it no doubt .their name will be always mentioned together a lot too.sort of like Bird & Magic

CR7 isn't an all time great to me. But i guess that depends on the definition.

Talent wise, he is very far from that level. His goalscoring is literally his only asset, and to compete with Messi's greatness Rm had to turn into CR7's little helpers for years.
Now I must say that i can't entirely explain away just how successful Cristiano has been in that regard. Flair, talented teammates, pure selfishness, penaldos, naturally gifted at headers, excellent positioning... I'm still scratching my head, really :)... 'cause the fact is this system has yielded some impressive results, even though los blancos haven't won shit in that time period, considering.

raskolnikov

Agree with most of this ,and I don't really remember 2 players who has been dominant in their era like Messi and Cr7 and separated themselves from the rest of the pack like them . they are the only 2 doing this
But I gotta disagree with last line ,Cr7 is for sure one of the greatest ever and very high on the list . the Barca-RM & Messi vs Cr7 rivalry has gone a bit too far to underrate him .he is one the of the game greatest legends and was/is a worthy rival for Messi.
Their rivalry is probably greatest in football history (player wise) and both benefited from it no doubt .their name will be always mentioned together a lot too.sort of like Bird & Magic
Its a media driven stats based rivalry. In the way of them going strong for so many years scoring a near equal amount is pretty epic but it is just about one aspect, goalscoring. For ever being linked to Messi means Ronaldo can piggyback from one of the greatest goalscorers to one of the best players ever.
That is definitely going to happen.

BBZ8800

Its a media driven stats based rivalry.

Yes, and they are the first players/rivalry who play/live in the era when internet exploded, when we have a social media, Facebook, Twitter, Youtube and similar.

90s and early 00s (or any earlier era) would surely have some epic rivalries/battles between Milan and Juve, Real and Barca, Man. Utd and Arsenal at their prime etc.

A few years ago it seemed that Gangnam style was the most popular/viewed song ever, in the history of the music industry.
And some could say: that song is more successful than Beatles or Elvis.

But then, a few Months later, even Taylor Swift managed to get 2 songs with 1 Billion views in less than a year.
Then you have to ask yourself (at least I am asking myself) is it really everything that exist today THAT much better/popular/more interesting than everything that existed 10-20-50 years ago.
I mean, if Taylor Swift managed to get 1 Billion views, Beatles would surely have 10 Billions in the same period.

Imo, a somewhat similar analogy could be said about Messi/CR7 rivalry, Barca/Real rivalry, media hype, Facebook, everything from today.

10-20-30 years ago, Barca:Real and their top players could have been seen only on Tv, radio or in newspapers.

Today, you can see what they have ate today, how they play pianos, where they went out last Saturday etc.
I am cautious about current times and how everything from today is bigger, better, more colorful, more interesting, have the highest amount of followers/viewers ever etc...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans