10 - Lionel Messi - v4

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotInHere

Many people probably exaggerate when it comes to Maradona because of his WC, but agreed [MENTION=19697]Vlom[/MENTION] I've seen videos of him also and he doesn't strike to me to have the same talent as Leo except dribbling like you said.

Everyone is waiting for a goat like wc from him, in my opinion that's how the popular opinion of him being the goat will officially become official.

Science Kid

Yes, Maradona is greater than Messi because Higuain and Palacio can't score two one on one chances. If they score, Messi's greatness would have been magically enhanced! Higuain would probably have went on to be cast as Dumbledore in the Harry Potter remake once his true powers have been introduced to the world.

There's not a more arbitrary competition than the World Cup. 60% luck, 20% fortuitous circumstances, 15% good prosperity and 5% skill.

raskolnikov

If Maradona would have been nurtured in a la masia type environment with the right mentality he could have been even more amazing. Its no doubt he was extremely talented, his ball control is better than messi as was his leadership, freekicks, headers and penalties. You can argue about vision/passing/dribbling.
Messi has a huge egde imo due to consistency, goalscoring and mentality. But I definitely highly rate Maradona as it comes to talent, despite how much of an asshole he might be nowadays.

vlad

I saw many videos of Maradonna and I'm having trouble seeing how he could be better than Messi, he's only equal (may be) in dribbling, not in goalscoring nor vision.

Messi IS the goat.

because he won scudetto with napoli and wc with argentina as a main player in both cases, especially in napoli, maradona is true legend, also that charisma he had is big thing when messi and maradona are compared, also maradona had breaked leg when he was in barcelona, and still managed after do this great things.

edit: yes, i know all this is mantra when people talking about maradona, but thats how it goes, he was a true leader, he was doing everything what messi is doing now when it comes to skill

Last edited:

Catalan Fan

Don't start with the GOAT thing again, it's impossible to calculate :lol:

Pele was the benchmark, especially if you look at his WC record.Maradona then came along and started the debate (because before Pele there was no debate) in the modern era..Now we have three...

How do you quantify it ? Messi has the best club record, but no WC's ? All 3 were/are fantastic players but Messi is the top dog for me in club games definitely.

Overall team trophies ?
Individual awards ?
National + Domestic titles ?
Goals ?
Assists ?
Disiplinary records ?
Longevity ?

Just enjoy him whilst he's still playing would me my advice.

Last edited:

LordLichtenstein

pqQj67b.png

Knowing that he is only 28, makes these stats so much more impressive. :worthy:

Honestly, I think he'll reach 750+ goals and 300+ assists before he is done.

raskolnikov

Don't start with the GOAT thing again, it's impossible to calculate :lol:

Pele was the benchmark, especially if you look at his WC record.Maradona then came along and started the debate (because before Pele there was no debate) in the modern era..Now we have three...

How do you quantify it ? Messi has the best club record, but no WC's ? All 3 were/are fantastic players but Messi is the top dog for me in club games definitely.

Overall team trophies ?
Individual awards ?
National + Domestic titles ?
Goals ?
Assists ?
Disiplinary records ?
Longevity ?

Just enjoy him whilst he's still playing would me my advice.
You cant to be honest. Its very hard to compare era's. There is more than 3 if you want to, you could easily argue Cruyff being the goat due to his impact on football. All you can say with certainty is who is the best player you have seen play since you started watching football. To me thats Messi, easily.
Followed by in no specific order: Ronaldo, Xavi, Iniesta, Zidane, Henry, Dinho and Cristiano. But even that is highly sujective of course.

Catalan Fan

You cant to be honest. Its very hard to compare era's. There is more than 3 if you want to, you could easily argue Cruyff being the goat due to his impact on football. All you can say with certainty is who is the best player you have seen play since you started watching football. To me thats Messi, easily.
Followed by in no specific order: Ronaldo, Xavi, Iniesta, Zidane, Henry, Dinho and Cristiano. But even that is highly sujective of course.

It's very hard yes.. especially over different eras.But the top 3 players are Pele, Messi, Maradona (for me) since the 60's, they are the stand out players of their generation.

All the other guys you mention have been/are world class obviously, but I doubt they will end up in this kind of debate, ie best player.

It's just subjective, no big deal :cheers:

LordLichtenstein

I have spent an hour or two going through their (Messistats) stats. As of now, I have found four errors.

1. The site says 200 career assists, instead of 201. They haven't included Messi's assist to Riquelme against Qatar in 2005. (201 OPTA assists)

2. They have forgotten a yellow card he received against Racing Santander 22-1-2011, after his goal celebration.

3. They have wrongly given him a yellow card against Villarreal 24-01-08.

4. They have wrongly given him a yellow card against Valencia 27-02-08.

I intent to contact them, once i've gone through all of their stats.

Last edited:

kollegah

I have spent an hour or two going through their (Messistats) stats. As of now, I have found four errors.

1. The site says 200 career assists, instead of 201. They haven't included Messi's assist to Riquelme against Qatar in 2005. (201 OPTA assists)

2. They have forgotten a yellow card he received against Racing Santander 22-1-2011, after his goal celebration.

3. They have wrongly given him a yellow card against Villarreal 24-01-08.

4. They have wrongly given him a yellow card against Valencia 27-02-08.

I intent to contact them, once i've gone through all of their stats.

how do you know these things with yellow cards etc.?
do you have your own database.

respect for your knowledge

MagIX

If Maradona would have been nurtured in a la masia type environment with the right mentality he could have been even more amazing. Its no doubt he was extremely talented, his ball control is better than messi as was his leadership, freekicks, headers and penalties. You can argue about vision/passing/dribbling.
Messi has a huge egde imo due to consistency, goalscoring and mentality. But I definitely highly rate Maradona as it comes to talent, despite how much of an asshole he might be nowadays.

I mostly agree, only thing: his vision was simply fantastic.
Diego is the only player which I can say that instead of a left foot he had a left hand: his ball control is by far the best i have ever seen.

I can only judge player that i have seen: until recently i rated Diego over Leo, but now I consider Leo the best player I ever seen. Leo is not talented as Diego was, but all in all, as said, Leo is better than Diego.

NotInHere

Did you watch Maradona play live a lot? Just asking because we get to watch Messi on a weekly basis and maybe our homerism gets the best of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans