10 - Lionel Messi - v4

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Flavia

Correa has barely played for Atletico and should never be in the squad. Dyabala should be in....but that doesnt make him a coward.

The Argentina defence was fine and didnt concede in final two games.

He never just let Messi resolve things. He got the best out of Messi for most part and had players like Banega and Augusto supporting him really well.

You lot set out rules from start that bend to suit. Messi does well then its not aided by Tata it is just Messi 'resolving things' on his own. Messi doest play well and Tata gets the blame.

Its not Tatas fault that Higuain misses his chances or Messi misses his pen. He took them very close to winning it.

Well, if you think that defense was fine... Put that against a great team and watch them get annihilated. Also, Messi was isolated most of the time. What's that, the coach or players fault? I think it's the lack of a good system. Banega was supporting Messi well, but that was it. Gaitan did it too, but then didn't start ahead of di maria. Argentina couldn't score in 2 different finals. Higuain missed a sitter, but they weren't exactly creating many chances. Rojo as a starter is also baffling.

Tata is very limited, and won't take them anywhere. In the wc, if they make it, they wouldn't pass the round of 16.

JamDav1982

Well, if you think that defense was fine... Put that against a great team and watch them get annihilated. Also, Messi was isolated most of the time. What's that, the coach or players fault? I think it's the lack of a good system. Banega was supporting Messi well, but that was it. Gaitan did it too, but then didn't start ahead of di maria. Argentina couldn't score in 2 different finals. Higuain missed a sitter, but they weren't exactly creating many chances. Rojo as a starter is also baffling.

Was Gaitan not injured?

I agree he should start ahead of Di Maria and not saying Tata is flawless but he has been far from incompetent.

They are ranked no.1 in world and lost the two competitions he has been manager of in penalty shoot outs.

Dont agree Messi was isolated though I think it was the best I have ever seen him supported in an Argentina side over all.

The only other Argentina side Messi has looked that comfortable in was the counter attacking team which Sabella had in qualifiers a few years ago. Before a couple of them got injured and he went super defensive in WC and starved Messi of any real chance to influence games and really isolated him.

Rojo is crap. Agree there. Not sure who alternatives are though.

NotInHere

They never played like and incompetent team in the final and it was an even game they maybe had the best chances in.

The midfield in final was far from incompetent as well. Masch and Banega were brilliant and strongest area of the team.
meh all I see is a team that can't fully play up to their potential, all I saw was a tangled Argentina playing to who knows what

I do agree with you that they only lost by a small margin, same as last copa america and wc.. But again all these names compiled but no good football to show

serghei

Argentina doesn't have such a great team. Chile is better than them in several key positions. It's not like Tata has a stellar, balanced team, and he's underperforming. He does play it too safe for my taste though.

blaugrana1987

I agree with JamDev. I would also like to add there is a reason why pretty much every int final in last decade ended in ET or pens (last 3 WC, last 3 copas). Teams are very defense heavy in the finals and dont take too much risks.

Against Germany Argentina lost in 115th minute, and tbh for the entire game it was them that looked more threatning. Against Chile same story.

Ball didnt go into net. Call it choking, luck or nerves it doesnt matter, defense wasnt problem.

I also agree while there are better DTs then tata, his Argentina played very good. Especially with gaitan instead of ADM.

No point in pointing fingers...there is a WC to be prepared for. As these Euro and SA Cup showed, Argentina should top 3 favorites for Final. That kind of chance shouldnt be trown away. Spain is a shadow of itself, France is overrated and Germany while good isnt and never was godlike team. Plenty to play for Leo...

Raketa10

Beautiful letter to Leo from teacher in Argentina. You should read it if you havent. It's all over the internet and it is great!

Last edited:

raki

CmEVwgQVYAQkJeZ.jpg:large

Stric

Argentina doesn't have such a great team. Chile is better than them in several key positions. It's not like Tata has a stellar, balanced team, and he's underperforming. He does play it too safe for my taste though.

Good point. The Tata hate is getting ridiculous. Sure he's not a phenomenal coach, but they did reach two finals with him, didn't they?

F

Flavia

I don't think the difference is that big, if any, on the best possible 11. Difference is chile had a very good coach for years, who transformed these players into a good team. Tata is there for 2 years, and he hasn't achieve that yet.

SeloBarca

That kinda is the whole point with how bad the rest team are.
Game after game Messi gets 4-5 players against him, and what do the other teammates do? they just watch what Messi is gonna do instead of running the gaps or creating pass openings for him.
The same thing happened in the WC final, Messi got marked by 3 players, thats when the rest of the team has much more space to move in and have an easier way going forward, but instead they became stunned and didnt know what to do when they didnt have Messi to do everything for them.
Same happened in 2010 WC, Messi pulled shitloads of defenders on him in all games but the rest of the team just stood there doing nothing.
messi2_1660223c.jpg

In Barcelona everyone works together, running gaps, opening up themselves for passes etc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans