10 - Lionel Messi - v4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golazo

Funny to post this since Maradona never scored in a final too (and reached two less than Messi).

Since you hold goals in finals in high regard here is another fact for you:

In his WHOLE professional career (club+NT), Maradona scored only ONE major final goal: a penalty vs Stuttgart in 1989 UEFA Cup final. Counting minor competitions, Maradona scored two goals in two-legged Copa de la Liga, a Spanish incarnation of a "League Cup" that lasted for only 4 years before being cancelled.

Counting all finals they played, their goal count is:

Messi: 20
Maradona: 3

:wave:

Haha, excellent point.

blaugrana1987

Lol at people saying the WC was a Messi choke job. :lol:

It's 11 vs 11 . This isn't an individual sport.

Right because Higuain missing the best chance makes it a Messi joke job.

The way some people are turning on him is sad.
I said Messi choked and the whole Argentina team. Messi had one great scoring chance that he puts in the net 9 out of 10 times. This time he didnt. Like higuain and palacio. They missed chances they should have scored. Threy bottled it when they shouldnt have. Stop being defensive. I love messi, but like the time he had to take Zarras record, nerves got better of him.

Zidane121

Banned
I said Messi choked and the whole Argentina team. Messi had one great scoring chance that he puts in the net 9 out of 10 times. This time he didnt. Like higuain and palacio. They missed chances they should have scored. Threy bottled it when they shouldnt have. Stop being defensive. I love messi, but like the time he had to take Zarras record, nerves got better of him.

The thing is we can all talk about whether Messi failed or succedeed with the NT, but Leo himself knows he didn't do well, which is why he retired at age 29. He was devastated at the losses and crying. Leo will be the first to admit that the NT path hasn't gone to plan. Hopefully can comeback and take Arg to WC 18 victory.

Hardy

the issue is that who knows if Messi and Argentina will ever play a final again, Messi is already 29 unfortunately and will slowly decline and will be less capable of dragging argentina to the final.

too bad they wasted their 3 whole opportunities

football is not exactly math, you never know what happens. I'm italian and i never imagined that in 2006 (after the Calciopoli's scandal...) we were going to win the WC with team much less strong then previous editions. What about Milan in 2007? Or Chelsea 2012? Anything can happen.

Zebulun

There's no message from Messi on any of his social media pages after the loss. I wonder what he's thinking now.

im 50-50 on this one. i want him to stay retired so they'll regret what they've done. Argentinians/AFA/Maradona. why should be come back to play with fucking higuain.
Only reason i want him to come back is for his peace, he wont rest easy for the rest of his life knowing that he gave up his jersey.

Golazo

There's no message from Messi on any of his social media pages after the loss. I wonder what he's thinking now.

He's probably devastated to miss the PK and feels like he failed his country. But we all know he should lift his head and be proud of his performance.

blaugrana1987

football is not exactly math, you never know what happens. I'm italian and i never imagined that in 2006 (after the Calciopoli's scandal...) we were going to win the WC with team much less strong then previous editions. What about Milan in 2007? Or Chelsea 2012? Anything can happen.
That was magical WC IMO. Loved how Italy was so determined...Im cheering for you guys at Euro.

amircule

Or real madrid 2016..

Ripsta

Lovely statue of Leo unveiled outside the capital in Buenos Aires.

He's had so much support since the decision was made, particularly in Argentina.

He simply has to change his mind. 29 is no age to retire from International football, he'll still be in peak condition in 2018 and 2019 at 31/32.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans