10 - Lionel Messi - v4

Status
Not open for further replies.

raskolnikov

Pastore, Banega and Masch in midfield is good enough. ADM and Messi with Aguero in front is as good of a team you can get. How they play this bad is unexplainable. ADM is horrible since last summer...He wastes so many balls I lost count. Always late on pass and alot of times does touch too much...

Wel Argentina were fine till midfield got subbed out, Di Maria is hit and miss like usual.

Truthist

Play Tevez left of attack, Aguero through the centre and Messi on the right.

Get rid of that liability Higuain. Agree with the poster above who mentioned Argentina need a Riquelme, perhaps Pastore could play there I don't know but the talent at their disposal is amazing.

They should be far far better than what they usually show.

BrazilFan

kinda funny that some people don't realize that pretty much every player from argentina plays worse at the nt than at their club. .

It's actually true. Club form and international form are 2 different things. You might have to player a lesser talent over a star because it work or fit the system better. Just don't take it to the extreme like Scolari did.

Ritchie

Play Tevez left of attack, Aguero through the centre and Messi on the right.

Get rid of that liability Higuain. Agree with the poster above who mentioned Argentina need a Riquelme, perhaps Pastore could play there I don't know but the talent at their disposal is amazing.

They should be far far better than what they usually show.

Try Messi, Aguero and Tevez as the MSN equivalent. Keep Higuain away from it, he's a waste of space. Where's Dybala or Vietto?

Di Maria would be a handy sub to run at tiring defences along with Messi. Tata is terrible at in game changes though.

Egert

Estonian Culé
Lionel Messi needs 10 goals to be the number one top scorer in Argentina National Team history.

tumblr_npwpa1SNDp1qioezko1_500.png

I think he'll gonna score atleast 5 goals more in this Copa , in fact i Hope !

He will surely get the prize :)

raki

Try Messi, Aguero and Tevez as the MSN equivalent. Keep Higuain away from it, he's a waste of space. Where's Dybala or Vietto?

Di Maria would be a handy sub to run at tiring defences along with Messi. Tata is terrible at in game changes though.

Dybala, Vietto and Icardi were not chosen. You cant have them all.

Semi-Neutral

Sir Alupp Heynrguson

Neither of Aguero and Tevez play out wide, I think Di Maria needs to start on the left like yesterday

blaugrana1987

ADM shouldnt be on the pitch if he doesnt recognize problems he has with his game. First of, he is pacey and good with the ball but that doesnt mean he can go Banzai on defense everytime he gets the ball, neymar learned that more or less in a year. If you cant see yourself beating 2 guys then pass the ball, dont lose it for 30 times in one match. He is in form dip, that much is clear, but he was never dependable in the first place. I would leave him in first 11 for now but they need to get their act fast and try to play recognizable and predictable style of football as soon as possible, thats the only way to get medals in this day and age as proven by Spain and Germany.

Ritchie

Neither of Aguero and Tevez play out wide, I think Di Maria needs to start on the left like yesterday

Tevez starting left, Messi right and interchange. Bring Di Maria on after an hour to mix it up, or start him in midfield. If he was at the top of his game then play him left, but he's not playing well.

blaugrana1987

If ADM learns how to pass the ball in time, then yes. They need to keep that trio and with Banega, Pastore and Masch they have good enough team to beat anyone without too much problem. That lineup is closest thing you can get to Barca...

BrazilFan

Tevez or Aguero would be wasted out wide. Also, Tevez and Messi style of play clash in the past. I don't see why it would work now. It's play one or the other.

lessthanjake

Messi was good, but not god mode. His form does seem to take a dip for Argentina. Not as big of one as people say, but a definite dip. I have some thoughts on why that is. I think the players for Argentina don't go on as many forward runs as Barcelona players do. And they don't practice together nearly as much, so Messi is not quite so used to where they want the ball or when they will make runs. His passing game is really all about splitting open the defense by passing to a guy making a well-timed run. If players don't go on those runs that often and you are not sure exactly when they will do it, you'll end up making a lot less of those great passes. Of course, no one has much practice with their NT teammates, so logically this would affect everyone, not just Messi. But other greats players' passing games aren't reliant quite so much on perfect timing, so I think this hurts Messi more than it might hurt other players at the NT level. If his passing isn't going to make quite so much of a difference, Messi is left to try to make a difference through dribbling. But to dribble, you need space. Yes, even Messi needs space to dribble. Barcelona gets him space in two key ways. First, players make runs. This drags defenders away from Messi OR gives Messi an open teammate to pass to. Again, Argentina's players don't make those runs nearly so often, so the defenders can bunch up and take away Messi's space. Second, when defenders do bunch up like that, Messi typically tries to play one-two's with Barcelona teammates. You can get through a crowded area much more easily without the ball, so he 1-2's his way through crowds. But that takes really precise one-touch passing, the type of passing Barcelona players thrive on and practice every day. But his Argentina teammates just don't have the same skill set to do that. And without that, it becomes much harder to turn a dribbling move into a scoring or assisting opportunity. So Messi is stuck dribbling into crowds and having few defense-splitting passes open.

Basically, I think perhaps Messi's game is a little reliant on his teammates making well timed runs and having the touch to make 1-2's in crowded areas. And he doesn't get that as much for Argentina, so it's harder for him to make stuff happen. He is left dribbling into crowds, trying to make shots outside the box (i.e. outside of the crowds of defenders), and/or trying to get goals through those well-timed late run into the box he does. He can still be quite effective doing that (and I really hope that he will be in the rest of this Copa America), but it's a significant difference from what he can do at Barcelona.

Last edited:

Iarwain

Argentina lost balance with the introduction of Tevez and Higuain. Martino saw his midfield is being overrun (since he had 3 players not utilized at tracking back at all) and tried to fix ti with Biglia sub, but he still had midfield disadvantage since he subbed him in for Banega.

I have absolutely no idea why he subbed in BOTH Tevez and Higuain. It's as if there's pressure on him to use all forwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans