10 - Lionel Messi - v5

Icarium

Lifestealer
It is the same situation as LeBron in nba. Everyone knows he is undisputed number 1 but doesn't mean he has to win MVP award.

Zuti

if barca took la liga after that win in el classico it would matter alot, but they didnt, im talkin about CL where messi didnt do nothing, he had good match vs juve away, and cr7 had a goal festival in toughest matches,

See, thats exactly what Im talking about, you are counting trophys. Id also argue that CR isn't the best player in RM anymore, let alone the world.

RevoTeller

i dont agree, last season was probably best cr7 season since he is in real, and as much messi is more joy to watch, he was nowhere to be seen vs PSG in 2 matches, and against juventus i second match, cr7 was scoring on higher level, he totaly deserve balon d´or

Ah yes, of course it is very comfortable to spend half of the season in the stands while your world class team easily wins 15 games without you and then come in nice and fresh for the final rush of the year.

Let Cronaldo carry a whole team for 60 games, starting from orchestrating play in the midfield, dribbling his own way to the net and still be top scorer with 50+ goals. Let's see how he would handle this, Mr "deserved" Balon d'or.

Our midfield is shit, Neymar was nowhere to be seen for 85% of the games besides some notable exceptions like the return leg against PSG and Suarez was awful like an amateur the whole season.
On the contrary, Real is so good in every zone of the field, Cronaldo, very rested and fresh, scores crucial goals for them like the king of poachers Inzaghi, but the truth is that they demonstrated that they won, they win and they will win every type of match in a total comfortable way even without him.

The difference of burden and required effort, throughout a whole season, on the shoulders of Messi compared to Mr "deserved" balon d'or Cronaldo's is enormous and I frankly find it ridicolous it that many people still cannot see it.

The difference between the two players, NOT THE TWO TEAMS, is still the one we saw in the return leg of the Clasico:

- Cronaldo didn't score, as a consequence he was awful for his team, no contribution whatsoever.
- Messi, once again, created magic on the field with a performance that only few blessed players in the history of football could have replicated. And Mr "deserved" balon d'or is not and will never be amongst them.

Last edited:

clemente

You can watch Ronaldo CL games it looked like he wasn't even playing, then he gets those perfect passes from Carvahal and gets the goal, I sometimes wonder if he is making their team worse.

JerseyAddict

You can watch Ronaldo CL games it looked like he wasn't even playing, then he gets those perfect passes from Carvahal and gets the goal, I sometimes wonder if he is making their team worse.

One more year and they should really get rid of him... I am serious. No kidding. Better players exist. With such backup behind and beside him even Lukaku (Supercup fail) would be scoring machine.

JerseyAddict

Ah yes, of course it is very comfortable to spend half of the season in the stands while your world class team easily wins 15 games without you and then come in nice and fresh for the final rush of the year.

Let Cronaldo carry a whole team for 60 games, starting from orchestrating play in the midfield, dribbling his own way to the net and still be top scorer with 50+ goals. Let's see how he would handle this, Mr "deserved" Balon d'or.

THIS. Signed.

vlad

See, thats exactly what Im talking about, you are counting trophys. Id also argue that CR isn't the best player in RM anymore, let alone the world.

I will not argue if ronaldo have huge impact on his team same as messi, i will leave that to goalcom and their followers, what im trying to say is that ronaldo had more important goals for real then messi for barca on top of that 2 big trophies, CL twice in a row, thats it, messi doesnt have a chance this year when it comes to ballon d'or award

T

TS88

You guys talk like Ronaldo is an average football player when in reality he is without a doubt in the top 10 greatest of all time. I still believe Di Stefano is reals greatest player ever. He is definitely the greatest athlete to the play the game without question. Messi has too be careful and really give it his all this season or Ronaldo could overtake him in Ballon Dor's. The next two season will still be decided between Messi and Ronaldo. Madrid are being smart with Ronaldo, resting him at the right moments to unleash him for the business end of the season.

Last edited:

GetIn

You guys talk like Ronaldo is an average football player when in reality he is without a doubt in the top 10 greatest of all time. He is definitely the greatest athlete to the play the game without question. Messi has too be careful and really give it his all this season or Ronaldo could overtake him in Ballon Dor's.

Ronaldo could play like shit and win the Ballon D'or yet again as long as Madrid continue to rack up the trophies. The Ballon D'or should just be renamed to the award for the most marketable player on a CL winning team.

RevoTeller

Ronaldo could play like shit and win the Ballon D'or yet again as long as Madrid continue to rack up the trophies. The Ballon D'or should just be renamed to the award for the most marketable player on a CL winning team.

This. This is the TRUTH and everybody who is not biased or retarded can see it.

And he will win it again, since it is very probable that Real Madrid AS A TEAM wil outplay Barcelona AS A TEAM once again this year.
Still, this doesn't matter because Messi is >>>> Cronaldo as a football player, it has always been like that and always will be, irrespective of today market-media pumped, useless individual trophies and teams results.

Like once Maradona said: "I've not become Maradona when my teams started to win trophies, I have always been Maradona as a football player even when I fought for relegation with Argentinos Juniors".

The same is true for Messi: MESSI will always be MESSI irrespective of how many trophies Real Madrid wins or how many individual awards Penaldo is gifted.

And now stop offending Lionel Messi's thread by writing Cronaldo's name in it.

It is the same situation as LeBron in nba. Everyone knows he is undisputed number 1 but doesn't mean he has to win MVP award.

Tbf, i'd rather he did. If Lebron had suddenly appeared last season he'd probably have won it too. People are instinctively tweaking their criteria to avoid nominating the same dude years and years in a row.

Icarium

Lifestealer
Tbf, i'd rather he did. If Lebron had suddenly appeared last season he'd probably have won it too. People are instinctively tweaking their criteria to avoid nominating the same dude years and years in a row.

LeBron not being in top 3 was so stupid last season. I mean the guy who gets compared Michael Jordan is not even top 3. Pure bullshit. Same for messi, the trophies change people perspective. Now ronaldo will have same awards as messi.

Mitchell1978

There wouldn't be any misunderstanding if reward was called Most valuable player not the BEST player. Like in NBA, Durrant is MVP but, wheter you like Lebron or not, he is no better player than Lebron. When calculating MVP for the season then team success comes in to the play even though is hard to point out single players in team sports. That is always subjective, but if you call someone best player then team success doesn't mean much. Because CR is no better player after Eder scored in euro finals nor is Messi less of a player because Higuain missed.
That type of title is subjective and it must be called by those who watch football.

Actually Westbrook was the mvp (even though he's probably barely a top 5 player) and Durant was the finals mvp but i agree Lebron is probably still the best player.

Mitchell1978

LeBron not being in top 3 was so stupid last season. I mean the guy who gets compared Michael Jordan is not even top 3. Pure bullshit. Same for messi, the trophies change people perspective. Now ronaldo will have same awards as messi.

Its all about the narrative that the press creates, Westbrook abandoned by Durant racking up trible double that was the story so he won the mvp even though there are at least 4 better players in the NBA imo

Home of Barca Fans