10 - Lionel Messi - v5

Blaugrana Bull

HiiiPoWeR
For a professional football player in this era his stamina is ridiculously bad. That is why you can not count on him in the biggest matches. Sometimes he performs, sometimes not. It is too random.

JamDav1982

You've been against Messi for a while now, so your comments mean nothing to me..

What do you expect Messi to do if the mdifield is non-existent and the defence was hitting long balls to the forwards all match?

And the only reason Ronaldo has stood out is because of the goals he's scored..... which are made for him because he's plays in a much better team than Messi does. I'm amazed Messi has the amount of goals he's does this season, with the lack of support he gets.

Haha not against him at all and want him to be best ever but wont act deluded as likes of you.

Ronaldo is a constant threat and would have been far more effecitve tonight than Messi was. For a start he would have been an outlet in behind. Constantly moving.

You describe Messi as someone who completely realies on his team mates to have any impact which has never been the argument for him and why he is the best.

Why did Messi outperform Ronaldo at Bernabeu twice last year if team mates so shit?

Donatello

I think Argentina getting battered at the WC this summer could be the best thing that could happen to him in terms getting motivated for next season.

His best season in recent times was in 14-15 and it came after an agonizing defeat to Germany in the WC Final. He looked like he had seriously declined at that point and people were calling him finished. Not many people expected him to come back the way he did. That WC loss really lit a fire in his belly and that following season was the best I've seen him since the early Pep days.

No offence to Messi but the last time Argentina lost Copa America, he was about to retire from national team. I don't think another WC loss would increase his motivation. In fact I fear the opposite, no doubt he is the the best in terms of footballing skills, but I don't rate him that high in terms of mental strength. Remember , this would be his last shot at a WC.

MessiTBE

Banned
I don't even think Argentina will get past group stage. It sounds silly but Argentina group is so tough. It will be embarrassing and of course they will all blame Messi of course. Even though that Argentina team is hopeless with or without Messi

Much2soon

Lol jump on that Ronaldo bandwagon. But you do realise Ronaldo has great support and a great team around.... and has for years. But whatever, blame Messi for us going out. That's what happens everytime we lose or go out of a big competition.
Its true that Ronaldo has great support around him but at the same it’s alwahs him who’s stepping up and scoring goals when it gets tough.

His Juventus goals last week are perfect examples. First goal, the pass looked like it was for Benzema (who was blocked the Juve defender) but Ronaldo reacts quicker than everyone to get the goal. Second goal was a him attacking the ball before De Scligio (who was just standing there) could get to it.

JamDav1982

I don't even think Argentina will get past group stage. It sounds silly but Argentina group is so tough. It will be embarrassing and of course they will all blame Messi of course. Even though that Argentina team is hopeless with or without Messi

They should get out that group.

No offence to Messi but the last time Argentina lost Copa America, he was about to retire from national team. I don't think another WC loss would increase his motivation. In fact I fear the opposite, no doubt he is the the best in terms of footballing skills, but I don't rate him that high in terms of mental strength. Remember , this would be his last shot at a WC.
I really don't get his obsession with the WC i mean the possibilities are really like REALLY low, even when you have a more than decent team(not the disaster current Argentina NT is). Would been vastly more realistic to aim at a Copa America

xxxxxx

Haha not against him at all and want him to be best ever but wont act deluded as likes of you.

Ronaldo is a constant threat and would have been far more effecitve tonight than Messi was. For a start he would have been an outlet in behind. Constantly moving.

You describe Messi as someone who completely realies on his team mates to have any impact which has never been the argument for him and why he is the best.

Why did Messi outperform Ronaldo at Bernabeu twice last year if team mates so shit?

Of course Ronaldo is a constant threat, because he's in a team that suits him. He has a team that can create.

What midfielders can create for Messi?

And of course Messi needs some help. He can't run through the whole team and bang in the goals. He still needs support.... especially when he's nearly 31!

And there's a big difference to the Barcelona team this year to the one of last year.... most of the team are starting to show their age. And Messi can't always put in a goat performance. How many times has he carried Barcelona to wins? I've lost count.

Richard.H

I agree with the user who said that losing the WC could light a fire under his ass for next season. The 14/15 Messi was perhaps the best all around sports athlete I had ever seen. It helped that we had a younger iniesta, peak neymar, and prime Suarez too.

Falcao

It’s not right that Ronaldo is most likely going to win the CL and another Balon d’Or. He outgrew Barca a long time ago and should have moved on he deserves better.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
You've been against Messi for a while now, so your comments mean nothing to me..

What do you expect Messi to do if the mdifield is non-existent and the defence was hitting long balls to the forwards all match?

And the only reason Ronaldo has stood out is because of the goals he's scored..... which are made for him because he's plays in a much better team than Messi does. I'm amazed Messi has the amount of goals he's does this season, with the lack of support he gets.

I doubt it. Argentina getting bettered is almost guaranteed, but it looks like he has different priorities these days (family) so I really don't think he will be as motivated as before ever again.

Edit: Sorry, wrongly quoted. Meant to respond to Dembele.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

Of course Ronaldo is a constant threat, because he's in a team that suits him. He has a team that can create.

What midfielders can create for Messi?

And of course Messi needs some help. He can't run through the whole team and bang in the goals. He still needs support.... especially when he's nearly 31!

And there's a big difference to the Barcelona team this year to the one of last year.... most of the are starting to show their age. And Messi can't always put in a goat performance. How many times has he carried Barcelona to wins? I've lost count.

Why has Messi outperformed Ronaldo in La Liga with this Barca side but not in CL?

No one is saying he has to be goat every game either. Which in CL he most certainly has not been.

Messi needs to be supported better and he needs to do far more to help the team. Works both ways.

BBZ8800

Messi was and always will be my favorite sportsmen ever.

But, someone needs to talk to him and slap his ass.

He played 90 minutes against Leganes.
No one can change my opinion that he is too obssessed with a fight with CR7 also and that he wants to play every single match and break all records.
On the other hand, CR7 played only 64 minutes this weekend.

CR7 rests in some matches.
CR7 and RM don't play CDR.

Messi wins La Liga and a CDR and gets tired in a CL every single year.
CR7 wins a CL again.

Is it really CR7's fault and is it really ONLY about CR7's and RM's luck or are we always slightly too naive team with a lot of bad and naive decisions and rotations?

We can hate Rm and CR7, but in some aspects (of planning and IQ) they are light years infront of us, that needs to be said.
Barca is knocking ourselves out every single year.
We are basically saying: Please RM, please win it again, here you go...

Home of Barca Fans