10 - Lionel Messi - v5

xxxxxx

Ronaldo has scored all sorts of goals and been the most deadly player in the world on the break if teams played a high line like Roma tonight.

Messis team mates have given him a big enough platform to help beat Real and Atletico domestically but get dicked by Roma and other teams in CL.

For me it is not about the fact Messi didnt just go and decide the game it is that he showed no desire, ideas or effort to change it or even try to.

When the argument is that he is better than Ronaldo as he is the scorer, midfielder and creator then he should show it and at least make efforts to improve things. Which in CL he has not been doing.

The difference is, and what you're failing to realise is, Ronaldo isn't playing under a poor manager.... or has never played under a poor manager since he's played for Real Madrid. And he certainly hasn't had to put up with a poor board or a declining team. You put Ronaldo in this Barcelona team and he wouldn't do a damn thing.... heck, he would have left 2 years ago.

I am not saying Ronaldo isn't a great player or he doesn't deserve his credit, because he does. But you're missing the fact he's never had an actual poorly ran team or a poor manager.

JamDav1982

He can't create for himself because there's no space, he can't create for Suarez who just dives and points to the ref, he can't create for Roberto, for aged Iniesta. What kind of things he should do?

He needs to find space that is the point.

Why can he thrive in La Liga with those same players but not against Roma?

Messi is seen as the one player who can make others better, who can change a game in an instant. The argument is not he has to do that every time but do more to make it happen.

JamDav1982

The difference is, and what you're failing to realise is, Ronaldo isn't playing under a poor manager.... or has never played under a poor manager since he's played for Real Madrid. And he certainly hasn't had to put up with a poor board or a declining team. You put Ronaldo in this Barcelona team and he wouldn't do a damn thing.... heck, he would have left 2 years ago.

I am not saying Ronaldo isn't a great player or he doesn't deserve his credit, because he does. But you're missing the fact he's never had an actual poorly ran team or a poor manager.

Why have Barca go better of Real in La Liga in past few years if Barca are so shit and have had poor managers?

KingLeo10

Messi was and always will be my favorite sportsmen ever.

But, someone needs to talk to him and slap his ass.

He played 90 minutes against Leganes.
No one can change my opinion that he is too obssessed with a fight with CR7 also and that he wants to play every single match and break all records.
On the other hand, CR7 played only 64 minutes this weekend.

CR7 rests in some matches.
CR7 and RM don't play CDR.

Messi wins La Liga and a CDR and gets tired in a CL every single year.
CR7 wins a CL again.

Is it really CR7's fault and is it really ONLY about CR7's and RM's luck or are we always slightly too naive team with a lot of bad and naive decisions and rotations?

We can hate Rm and CR7, but in some aspects (of planning and IQ) they are light years infront of us, that needs to be said.
Barca is knocking ourselves out every single year.
We are basically saying: Please RM, please win it again, here you go...

the absolutely senseless pursuit of CDR as if it is CL the last 4 seasons has been mind boggling.

CDR is an achievement for teams like celta and bilbao...guess where lucho and valverde coached?

meanwhile, real's managers have been ancelotti and zidane...you know players with multiple european cups and WCs as their pedigree.

pep never took copa seriously either and he had pedigree as a player....

the 6 copa del rey games in jan-feb are absolute useless season killers.

JamDav1982

the absolutely senseless pursuit of CDR as if it is CL the last 4 seasons has been mind boggling.

CDR is an achievement for teams like celta and bilbao...guess where lucho and valverde coached?

meanwhile, real's managers have been ancelotti and zidane...you know players with multiple european cups and WCs as their pedigree.

pep never took copa seriously either and he had pedigree as a player....

the 6 copa del rey games in jan-feb are absolute useless season killers.

Pep did take Copa seriously.

T

TS88

The difference between Ronaldo and Messi is that CR7 has much more determination than Messi and never gives up. When the times are tough like they were today, Messi just walks around and accepts it while CR7 will try his best to try and turn the situation around. I never thought Messi was the best ever, I still believe that is Maradona but that is another whole discussion. We have to accept it, Ronaldo is now better than Messi if we are being completely honest. I mean, Ronaldo is about to win THREE CL's in a row for crying out loud! that is insane. Ronaldo being 4-1 down in BO's and now he is going to surpass him tells the story. Ronaldo has improved his game while Messi has dropped a couple of levels and that has enabled him to likely overtake him in BO. Ronaldo cannot touch Messi 2008-2013 (2015 was great but still not on the level of those years). Messi he has never really been the same player since the 2013 injury against PSG.

Also, Messi has the reputation of being a choker in recent years and I can't deny that. He skied his penalty in the Copa America final shootout and his CL KO stage performances have been abysmal.

KingLeo10

Ronaldo has aged better. This is what age does to you. Makes you to have to work harder to stay at the top. And if you are not up for it, then let Ronaldo do it.

I always thought Messi is like Federer. But looking at Ronaldo and Federer well in their 30s, maybe I got it wrong.

federer looked terrible between age 30-35 before making a miracle comeback last 1-2 years. basically was a free win for djokovic for a while.

let's hope messi gets it together.

xxxxxx

Why have Barca go better of Real in La Liga in past few years if Barca are so shit and have had poor managers?

Because sometimes the whole team can put in a great performance like that, just like sometimes poor La Liga sides can beat the best teams in the league.... it can happen. And as I said, age is catching up with most of the team now.

BusiTheKing

I'd say great players with large amounts of experience and Messi tipping 90% of equal matchups in Barca's favor. A setup that offers good consistency but lackluster top level.

serghei

The difference between Ronaldo and Messi is that CR7 has much more determination than Messi and never gives up. When the times are tough like they were today, Messi just walks around and accepts it while CR7 will try his best to try and turn the situation around. I never thought Messi was the best ever, I still believe that is Maradona but that is another whole discussion. We have to accept it, Ronaldo is now better than Messi if we are being completely honest. I mean, Ronaldo is about to win THREE CL's in a row for crying out loud! that is insane. Ronaldo being 4-1 down in BO's and now he is going to surpass him tells the story. Ronaldo has improved his game while Messi has dropped a couple of levels and that has enabled him to likely overtake him in BO. Ronaldo cannot touch Messi 2008-2013 (2015 was great but still not on the level of those years). Messi he has never really been the same player since the 2013 injury against PSG.

Also, Messi has the reputation of being a choker in recent years and I can't deny that. He skied his penalty in the Copa America final shootout and his CL KO stage performances have been abysmal.

Hardest thing is to work hard every week for years and years. To keep getting better. Ronaldo has that. Messi doesn't. At this point, Ronaldo's determination and pure will to be the best is what has kept him motivated and hungry all these years. For me, and it's hard to say, because I usually side with the artists, not with the hard workers, Messi has let himself down in the last 3 years in the biggest games. You can't be submissive. Leaders aren't like that.

Givenchy

please, stop with this retarded Americanization bullshit 'choker' and 'clutch' infesting football these days. everyone is a choker according to this forum. I agree with the rest of your post though, Ronaldo has the drive and determination to win like no other sportsman. Messi wins a Ballon d'or -> Ronaldo probably goes home and punches a hole in the wall, we laugh and he comes back stronger.

Home of Barca Fans