10 - Lionel Messi - v5

JamDav1982

Half of the forum criticize Messi. I've no problem with them. I just feel despised on seeing a Ronaldo fanboy pretending to be a barca fan and spreading cancer. Morten and Wolfe and Jai Ventura all are honest with the clubs and the players they support.

Haha you think I am a 'Ronaldo fan boy' pretending to be a Barca fan?

Your are so far deluded that anyone who thinks Ronaldo is one of best players ever and has been better than Messi in 3 of 4 CLs is a 'cancer'?

Says more about your state of mind than anything else.

Last edited:

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
The problem as you might have noticed is that Messi needs the midfield to work for him in a particular way. For somebody like Ronaldo it is not necessary that the midfield has to play a certain way. He scores in all types of situations, in all kinds of formations, and regardless who his striker partner is and who the midfield personnel are. btw I also saw a stat on reddit that Messi has 4 goals from a losing position, while Ronaldo has 22. Why the disparity. It surely can't be that RM go behind than Barca that much more often. Ronaldo scores goals in almost any condition and any game situation over the past few seasons. It is not all down to what a "niche" player he is. He is anything but niche in his role frankly. Add to that, he has to shoulder the goalscoring burden every single RM game.

His staggering record over the past 6 seasons in the CL is testament to that. He has consistently outscored Messi every single season in the knockouts.

Talking about midfield battles, Ronaldo scored against PSG despite having a midfield of Kovacic, Casemiro, Vazquez, and Asensio. And PSG handily controlled possession until the time Ronaldo scored. Why is Messi so midfield dependent in the big games?

The variation on Ronaldo's play is overstated. RM's squads have renewed greatly over the years and they've had different formations but the plays where Ronaldo scores have by and large been a result of heavy buildup on the wings and a huge emphasis on crosses/1 touch finishes and 1-2 man fastbreaks. As I said before, especially under Zidane, it's become a routine of 2 variations of a crossing play once they get to the final third and very little else. It's not like Ronaldo has been out there taking down parked buses with his dribbling and then scoring, or longshots and scoring (not for the past 5 years anyway) and doing different things against different opponents or situations. His scoring is pretty consistently uniform and the actual situations where he's involved have remained the same, despite whatever formation/roster changes he's dealt with.

Also, you said that he did it with a midfield of Kovacic/Casemiro/etc. But in that game, RM actually did STILL manhandle PSG's midfield. They had more possession, produced almost 3x as many shots (only 4 to Ronaldo, so they weren't just creating because of Ronaldo's runs or whatever which is a totally fictional narrative), more than 3x as many key passes, etc. As well as the fact that Verratti only played 2/3 of that game before getting sent off and both of RM's goals came AFTER the red. Casemiro also had an insane game, he truly is one of the best DM's in the world right now. It's not just about the midfielders but the fullbacks in Marcelo/Carvajal as well who are crucial in progressing the ball and creating chances for them.

In reality, RM have not been on the losing side of a midfield battle in the CL for a while now. In fact the only opponent that has really ever outplayed them there since Zidane took over was Tottenham this season in the 3-1, where Ronaldo's goal came from a stupid error/rebound.

And in these past 2 years and even before that, RM's definition of losing a midfield battle has been different from Barca's. They can get outplayed, but still make quick transition plays on the other end and create a lot of chances. They still find space a lot and generally do go back and forth with the opposition midfield. For Barca it's getting thoroughly outrun/outpressed in midfield while lacking a forward outlet in Rakitic, or playing ponderously slow against a parked bus and not penetrating whatsoever. In these cases they have an insanely difficult time even getting the ball past Busquets/Raki/Iniesta who are all forced to play a lot deeper. Whereas in RM's midfield upsets they are still going end to end albeit less effectively than the opposition. Part of this is that they have the better personnel to deal with adversity in midfield and also that Barca's style can stalemate them in some games because of how specifically they play.

A game where RM are being properly outplayed in midfield the way Barca have been usually goes with a 'Ronaldo was completely invisible' performance. Like many Clasicos in the Pep days, the 0-4 Clasico at the Bernabeu, Dortmund in 2013, vs teams like Germany/Spain/Chile with Portugal, etc.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Half of the forum criticize Messi. I've no problem with them. I just feel despised on seeing a Ronaldo fanboy pretending to be a barca fan and spreading cancer. Morten and Wolfe and Jai Ventura all are honest with the clubs and the players they support.

I think JamDav is simply trying to quash Messi fanboys for refusing to take in any criticism and their blind rejection of Ronaldo. And sure, he could be quite argumentative at times but he is a Barca fan. Why would anybody want to pretend his or her identity/club affiliation on a forum like this?

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
True but it's also true that in the last 2 CL campaigns Barca conceded 4 goals against PSG, 3 against Juve and 3 against Roma now.

We were also the worse team against Chelsea but Messi saved us.

Real Madrid as a team doesn't play like that in the CL.

We simply have not been good enough last several seasons as a team. Our reliance on Messi is ever greater that has reached a very dangerous point. We need to rebuild.

I think JamDav is simply trying to quash Messi fanboys for refusing to take in any criticism and their blind rejection of Ronaldo. And sure, he could be quite argumentative at times but he is a Barca fan. Why would anybody want to pretend his or her identity/club affiliation on a forum like this?

I don't know why anybody would want to pretend. But I've never seen him defending Messi when undeservedly criticized as well as never seen him criticizing Ronaldo when it's deserved.

JamDav1982

I don't know why anybody would want to pretend. But I've never seen him defending Messi when undeservedly criticized as well as never seen him criticizing Ronaldo when it's deserved.

Well you seem to have a full handle on things and are not in any way having a meltdown. Honest.

Feel free to put this Ronaldo fan boy on ignore.

SeloBarca

At the end romaldo is just a lucky striker who is getting a lot of help from his teammates specially in cl

That.
RM is built around Ronaldo scoring.
Almost every goal he scores nowadays are goals inside the goalarea, tapins and headers.

Messi has been appalingly bad in some games, but Ronaldos abilities are overrated, especially now as hes getting older.
Ronaldo has been crap in the league, but since globally, the CL and WC are MUCH more viewed, Messi doesnt have much chance for any prize if he doesnt carry Argentina to gold.

eaman

Ronaldo has had a better structured team around him for the last few years who control games and supply him from all angles. There is no way he would get Barca any further the way they play at the moment coz he would not be getting the service. I mean tonight barca barely got near the Roma box so what would Ronaldo have done. Suarez is similar to Ronaldo in alot of ways( he's a top finisher who thrives on service) and I'm sure if he was with this Madrid team instead of Ronaldo he would be winning champions leagues. Remember last year when Barca were terrible against juventus away at least Messi created two clear chances for his teammates. Who was creating for him.

T

TS88

[MENTION=6099]JamDav1982[/MENTION] is the worst Ronaldo fanboy you could ever see. You can verify his chat history. He defends Ronaldo as if his life depends on it. And takes all the possible ways to diminish Messi. If you ask him, he will say that he believes Messi is the greatest ever but Ronaldo is very much closer to him. But his post history will show that he's the greatest Ronaldo fanboy you've ever met. This forum is the only place where you constantly hear things like "Ronaldo shows up in big moments", Messi disappeared in the last thee knockout matches. While the truth is that without Messi this Barca wouldn't even finish top 4 in League. JamDav is the most active account in this forum. He spreads cancer so effectively that Ronaldo being better than Messi in the last 4 years is a common belief in this forum. I'm sure you can never find a single post of him defending Messi even when he was at his best.

You need to go outside and take a few deep breath's, its just a fucking game grow up. You should be ashamed for mentioning cancer smh now thats NOT a game, no need for it at all.

Last edited:

Givenchy

I get the feeling alot of 'barca' fans on here are actually just Messi fans. fuck the ballon d'or, fuck the world cup, fuck the legacy, fuck the debate. BARCA just got humiliated and Messi did fuck all to change that.

Messi is still and always will be the GOAT together with Maradona

Messi
Maradona
Pele
Cristiano

I don't agree with Jam often but hes right, the past 4-5 years the gap has been closed and Cristiano has put his name in the GOAT list. if he wins another CL, 3 in a row, he has a big shout in being at the top of that list. it depends how you look at football. Messi is obviously superior in terms of talent, entertainment etc but whos had the better career?

Home of Barca Fans