10 - Lionel Messi - v5

KingLeo10

Anyway, we can argue this all we want. It's not the end. Both of these players will play on for another three years in these two clubs I can imagine.

And Barcelona can rectify this situation, by bringing in a manager that actually plays attacking minded football and is willing to take risks when needed, even Zidane takes risks when he has to, and "Fortune favours the brave" isn't just a cliche, it's true.

Get rid of all the players that simply aren't good enough and spend more money on established WC midfielders. We need a WC midfield again. Iniesta and Rakitic are not that anymore, don't fool yourself people, performances in the CL exposes both of them badly.

Barcelona need to be more ruthless. Stop being the damn nice guys. Hold manager and players both accountable. If someone is underperforming and on a huge wage he gotta go.

nothing will change till a manager is brought in who doesn't prioritize CDR like mid table tiers (lucho, valverde) and players have their game intelligence/strategy raised to prime themselves for the business end of the season.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Oh, bring in someone that actually implements a system that somehow resembles the football and tradition this club has held for almost a century. Not just anyone with a past in Barca. A system that will reap rewards in the long-term too. You can always make improvements to the system if you want later with how football evolves, I mean Rijkaard and Pep played it differently, but both remained within the traditions of the club.

Tuchel and Sarri are German and Italian and might have never even been in the City of Barcelona, but their style of football resembles this club's values and traditions more than Valverde who played two seasons for the club.

Stoichkov1

Anyway, we can argue this all we want. It's not the end. Both of these players will play on for another three years in these two clubs I can imagine.

And Barcelona can rectify this situation, by bringing in a manager that actually plays attacking minded football and is willing to take risks when needed, even Zidane takes risks when he has to, and "Fortune favours the brave" isn't just a cliche, it's true.

Get rid of all the players that simply aren't good enough and spend more money on established WC midfielders. We need a WC midfield again. Iniesta and Rakitic are not that anymore, don't fool yourself people, performances in the CL exposes both of them badly.

Barcelona need to be more ruthless. Stop being the damn nice guys. Hold manager and players both accountable. If someone is underperforming and on a huge wage he gotta go.

With Bartomeu as president nothing will change.

Bartomeu didn't want to sack Lucho even after our terrible performances in CL against PSG and Juve, he won't sack Valverde now and he won't buy many other players.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire

Don, there aren't that many WC midfielders available and we are going to spend 100m this summer to get Griezmann, Arthur will join in January 2019 so the earliest we will get another midfielder would be summer 2019, by then there could be more trophies lost.

KingLeo10

Don, there aren't that many WC midfielders available and we are going to spend 100m this summer to get Griezmann, Arthur will join in January 2019 so the earliest we will get another midfielder would be summer 2019, by then there could be more trophies lost.

our problem is not winning la liga or copa (LOL). we have figured this league out like ferguson did EPL, winning it by dominating lower/mid tiers and getting opportunistic wins on real. however, ferguson and united couldn't measure up versus the best sides in europe and had a lot of humiliating exits (group stages!!) for a manager of his pedigree. we are in a somewhat similar situation right now.

DonAK

We need someone this summer. They have to find a way to make it happen, sell someone if they have to. Pay over the odds. Man I remember saying all this back in 2013 and 2014 when I joined this forum. We're going to pay for our sins of our past lol, sins being spending an exorbitant amount of money for mediocre players.

Sorry Barto and all you idiots in the board and management, you created this mess, now you(we) have to pay for it. In a few years Messi won't be at Barcelona anymore and his massive salary will be gone that will create some breathing space, but right now they have to pay over the odds to not only compete for trophies right now, but also not repeat Milan v2 when Messi retires.

DonAK

With Bartomeu as president nothing will change.

Bartomeu didn't want to sack Lucho even after our terrible performances in CL against PSG and Juve, he won't sack Valverde now and he won't buy many other players.

As much as I dislike Bartomeu, he's given other people control of the football affairs of the club, and he's given money for the club to spend on players. It's not his fault our managers(Lucho and Pep) and Sporting Director(Zubi and Robert) have gone on to spend a shitload of money on average players.

Since 2010 when Sandro Rosell got elected as President, only one club have spent more money on transfers than Barcelona and that's Manchester City.

Even with PSG spending 222m on Neymar, Barcelona have spent more money since 2010 which is also when QSI effectively took over that club. Real Madrid have spent less money.

So no, the board have given the management enough money. They've wasted it.

Quick Edit: We're actually 5th behind Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea and PSG.

Last edited:

Givenchy

5 years ago Messi had Ronaldo beaten. more trophies, more ballon d'ors, more goals etc etc and that was without even going into how much more talented Leo is compared to Cristiano. the problem now is; Ronaldo has arguably had the better career and 3 CLs in a row is very hard to argue against. for me, Ronaldinho is the most talented player to ever touch a football yet we don't put him in the GOAT category because he didnt have the longevity/career of the greats. Messi may be more talented than Ronaldo but who has had the better career in the history books?

Much2soon

5 years ago Messi had Ronaldo beaten. more trophies, more ballon d'ors, more goals etc etc and that was without even going into how much more talented Leo is compared to Cristiano. the problem now is; Ronaldo has arguably had the better career and 3 CLs in a row is very hard to argue against. for me, Ronaldinho is the most talented player to ever touch a football yet we don't put him in the GOAT category because he didnt have the longevity/career of the greats. Messi may be more talented than Ronaldo but who has had the better career in the history books?
Just as you said 5 years ago Messi was better, if we look 5 years into the future it might all turn back in Messi’s favor.

But to answer your question, if Madrid miraculously end up not winning the CL then it all goes back in Messi favor, he might even end up winning the balon d’or.

Barcilliant

He's playing too deep. He should play the role of goal poacher similar to Ronaldo. Maybe have a young strong striker who plays in front of him. His goal scoring talents are wasted with him deep.

Valverde started the season with Messi upfront and Suarez out wide but switched and we've p the price.

Flavius

Last time Messi scored in QF of UCL Ronaldo had 1 BdO.

I know he.s goat and so on , at least for me, but man he was bad in the last year's on these stages. I know the team isn't like 2010s quality...but he should have showed much more. He.s tarnishing his legacy big time...sadly.

I cant believe the stuff im reading here, this season we would be 4th place in la liga, out of the copa, and would have been out of the champions league in the last round if it wasnt for messi.. this game what was messi supposed to do? we had no midfield at all, there was not one scenario in the game where we played the ball with any sort of tactics from our defence to midfield to the forward line. people want messi to get the ball for ter stegen dribble through all the players and score?? the few times he was able to get the ball he did more than any other player in our team even though he was surrounded by 4-5 roma players. This was completely valverdes fault, Roma pressed so high up all we needed was a player like dembele to help open up the game a little.
I had never seen barcelona being dominated like this, i dont blame messi at all.
Real madrid dont ever get dominated like this, and in games they do Ronaldo doesnt do shit, in the clasico we dominated the game and what did ronaldo do? nothing.. people forget these things, Madrid is firing on all cylinders the midfield is dominating play and providing balls for Ronaldo, who is a great striker, to score.. Messi is playing infront of a non existent midfield

Home of Barca Fans