10 - Lionel Messi - v5

gatsu

To all u plastic fucktards questioning Messi's mental strength and resilience, take a good look at yourselves, having a meltdown just because he didn't switch to GOAT mode.

Let's hope he will switch to Goat mode before getting eliminated and by the why end his NT carrier. This is probably Messi last chance to achieve something of note with his NT. This is how much this WC should be to him. Someone would expect a level of motivation on par with this competition importance. Today it was not the case.
Or maybe Messi doesnt give a shit about WC

DennyCrane

We have a conundrum here:

We all know Argentina is crappy without Messi. But we can clearly see from this game that they always try to give the ball to Messi and rely on Messi to do something. Perhaps they should stop feeding every ball to Messi, perhaps they should know how to play without Messi? At least that way they have multiple outlets to make things happen, not just one (Messi). Messi has an off game like today they are completely idealess.

Messi can't do anything about the fact that Argentina's build up is slow as fuck, that they have virtually no counter/transition play and that their defense runs around like headless chickens. ARG consistently plays below their possibilities. Obviously, they would be way worse without Messi.

BruceWayne11

See Messi when Pavon went down?

Argies players appealed... Messi covered his face.

Not saying he didnt want pen but strange reaction.

I didn't see it, but if he did, he needs to stop giving a shit. You need to know and see and FEEL that it already is in the back of the net. That's the mentality you should have as a professional. If he hit it to his right, which is his preferred placement, I'm sure it would be a goal. That's what he needs to do know. Smash the ball to his right.

Sorin

I don't know why he doesn't just smash the ever living shit of the ball when he shots a penalty. He always tries to be cute with it. He doesn't hit in the corner also. Just a bit left or right of the keeper. At least with a powerful hit you don't give time to the keeper to save it. All around poor.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
We have a conundrum here:

We all know Argentina is crappy without Messi. But we can clearly see from this game that they always try to give the ball to Messi and rely on Messi to do something. Perhaps they should stop feeding every ball to Messi, perhaps they should know how to play without Messi? At least that way they have multiple outlets to make things happen, not just one (Messi). Messi has an off game like today they are completely idealess.

Perhaps they shouldn't start two DMs where one of them in Mascherano is finished as a midfielder. Also FGS send Di Maria back to wherever the fuck he came from and put Pavon in.

JamDav1982

The thing that worries me more about Messi is the fact that he shows no sign of "trying to improve". When he was undisputed the best player, it was ok to not make himself better. But right now he's just the same player, doing the same things over and over.

This stamina issue has been discussed a lot and it's impossible that Messi can't improve in this aspect. I'm studying wellness in university and there are a lot of researches about physical stuff in football. It's normal to have a physical downgrade over the years but it's impossible that Messi is the only player that looks like an old guy. Every day a new method to increase stamina, acceleration, explosiveness, intensity are discovered. But no, in Messi's case it's the same "he can't run because he will get injured bla bla bla bla".

How about going to the gym more often? Build more muscles? Muscle resistance is something that can be improved with anyone, from kids to old people.

Messi can't expect to do the same damn thing and get new results. Right now he is in his safe zone, too relaxed. Do something new, motivate yourself, make yourself better.

Totally agree he was completely predictable today.

Simple passes if deep or too risky a one two if on edge of area for vast majority of game.

Having said that if Argentina can defend and Iceland have to defend then it opens up for him.

JamDav1982

I don't know why he doesn't just smash the ever living shit of the ball when he shots a penalty. He always tries to be cute with it. He doesn't hit in the corner also. Just a bit left or right of the keeper. At least with a powerful hit you don't give time to the keeper to save it. All around poor.

Done that a few times and missed as well.

Stoichkov1

Against parked buses?

Let me ask you something... How many teams park buses against Madrid and Portugal as opposed to Barcelona and Argentina?

All teams park buses against Madrid and Portugal face a lot of parked buses except when they're playing against top teams.

BruceWayne11

Against parked buses?

Let me ask you something... How many teams park buses against Madrid and Portugal as opposed to Barcelona and Argentina?

That's a huge difference. You never see teams triple-mark Ronaldo like what happens with Messi. The difference between them as players and their teams contribute to that as well. Real Madrid are more dynamic as a team, and Portugal rely on counters etc. Ronaldo as a player can score from headers, shots etc, and he doesn't pose enough of a threat in build-up to warrant 2-3 players on him. He waits for his moments in the box.

blaugrana1987

Exactly. If you are going to be cute about it, then at least hit corner. He just goes for one side and if goalie gets right, its 100% miss.

M

MessiCam

No idea where others want him to play.

It is not about playing another position so he can run around a lot more as he wont no matter where he plays.

That’s a cop out. You’re one of the posters that is constantly talking about his lack of movement, running etc etc. So where should he play so he can make these movements and runs. Can’t do it on the wings because they play with the ball at their feet, can’t do it as 10 because they too play with the ball at their feet and are required in central zones.

Home of Barca Fans