10 - Lionel Messi - v5

hellsangel1

He clearly does but as I said it all started with that double hamstring injury few years ago. After that puking started.

I agree with your statement. I’ve said this before but you’ll get howled down by the fanatics here. I’m a fanboy but not delusional. His burst of acceleration is gone and has been since that PSG game, and we’ve only seen it in flashes and the odd games since then (and not often during the big crucial Champions League games). There was a moment in the second half and Argentina had a great counter attack with Messi on the ball, and an Icelandic player who was at least 3 or 4 yards behind Messi was able to easily catch up and get in front of him, this would not have happened during his peak years. People want him to play in midfield now but given his lack of defensive work-rate, the team would be horribly exposed down the center. We’d have to buy players like Kante who can be tenacious battlers to make up for it. Anyways, with an aging Suarez and Busquets and Pique not getting any younger, Barca need to start planning the post-Messi Barca era right NOW.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I don't think it is his techniques that failed him in PK (practicing more would help though), I think it is his nervousness/lack of mental toughness that failed him. He succumbs to pressure too easily in big games when he takes PK. I don't blame him, there are people who are easily nervous (I am one of them).

Not sure what he can to deal with that.

Sorin

He will have easier time with Croatia as Croatia cant defend for shit. I know I am Croat.

You also attack better than iceland and against that defense if you don't score at least 2 goals you have done something wrong. The only one who gets a pass is Otamendi and even then, it's a stretch.

Joan

You just can't park the bus well vs. Real or Portugal. They are crossing first teams. For Real we all know, with Portugal it's the same. They've scored most of their goals via crosses to Ronaldo and Andre Silva.

Parking the bus is, on the other hand, good tactics to stop teams built around Messi. As we know.

M

MessiCam

Not a cop out at all. I dont think he should play anywhere else as wont run enough or defend enough.

It is. Hypothetically where should he play to make these runs? This is what everybody is complaining about so offer your thoughts.

He won’t defend yes, that’s a given, because he’s atrocious at it but are you really going to tell me that a wing or a number must run to make space for himself?

Devils

Df0u7GcX0AE5Nqy.jpg

Not good penalty technique tbh.

JamDav1982

You just can't park the bus well vs. Real or Portugal. They are crossing first teams. For Real we all know, with Portugal it's the same. They've scored most of their goals via crosses to Ronaldo and Andre Silva.

Parking the bus is, on the other hand, good tactics to stop teams built around Messi. As we know.

Well they want to break first and teams know that so sit deep but sit deep and they will cross for fun.

That is the reason they face parked buses less but still majority of time.

This idea that teams just decide not to park the bus v Real but do v Barca and it is so much harder for Messi is just ignorance.

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
It is. Hypothetically where should he play to make these runs? This is what everybody is complaining about so offer your thoughts.

He won’t defend yes, that’s a given, because he’s atrocious at it but are you really going to tell me that a wing or a number must run to make space for himself?

then we should just admit that Messi is easier to defend against. I am not implying that though. Depends on the type of opponent.

Joan

You also attack better than iceland and against that defense if you don't score at least 2 goals you have done something wrong. The only one who gets a pass is Otamendi and even then, it's a stretch.

Not really. Yes, Croatia attacks better but it's not that much of a difference.

And, you wouldn't tell it when you see names, but don't have a functioning midfield. Our coach, Dalić, wants Modrić to play as a 10. Doesn't work well, yet he won't give up.

Also, the pivot pairing (Brozović and Rakitić) don't cover the space between them and the defense well. Croatia suits Messi.

JamDav1982

I am saying he wont make the runs or change his game. So think he should play where he does.

Yes if you are playing in games like today it is an advantage if run more and try to find space more. Messi wont or cant though.

Joan

Well they want to break first and teams know that so sit deep but sit deep and they will cross for fun.

That is the reason they face parked buses less but still majority of time.

This idea that teams just decide not to park the bus v Real but do v Barca and it is so much harder for Messi is just ignorance.

Madrid is a force so most teams will sit deep. No doubt. But it's very hard to park the bus and not concede vs. Madrid.

But it's easier for Ronaldo because he's better at breaking buses than Messi.

Home of Barca Fans