10 - Lionel Messi - v5

Juan03

I honestly don't think it's a mental issue.To me, he just lacks the stamina or fitness to make more off the ball movements. I don't know how they train at Barcelona, but I suspect they don't emphasize stamina and/or endurance training enough.
I hope he bounces back and helps his team pull through.

JamDav1982

Against parked buses?

Let me ask you something... How many teams park buses against Madrid and Portugal as opposed to Barcelona and Argentina?

More threat from parking bus vs Real than Barca for obvious reasons.

Even then teams do it hence the cross after cross games that happen so often.

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
Messi has gone through lots of suffering in football in the past three years. He should be angry by now. Plays better when he is determined, today he was eager too but not decisive enough. His body language was not confident.

eaman

He should have stuck with that stutter run up he used to do years ago. Just kept working on that when taking penalties. Just wait for the keeper. The rest of the team needed to do more today. There were plenty of times when Messi had taken 3 of their players away but no one had the vision to get in behind. Maybe dybala would have

blaugrana1987

Messi's penalties are so subpar for his calibre that it is almost hard to believe it is possible for such a player to suck so much at them. Should have given to Aguero, thats one thing he does good.

KingLeo10

parking the bus v real would only make it easier for teams to get scored on. kroos taking corners...ramos, CR7, benz, bale in the air :lol:

Felipetonelo

"Not trying to improve" yeah it's not like his long passing, vision or free kicks improved by magnitudes since 2012? LOL

He improved in aspects that can't break a parked bus. Long passing and vision depends on his teammates, that are shit. Maybe free kicks are a good thing, but he didn't have much impact with them.

JamDav1982

That’s a cop out. You’re one of the posters that is constantly talking about his lack of movement, running etc etc. So where should he play so he can make these movements and runs. Can’t do it on the wings because they play with the ball at their feet, can’t do it as 10 because they too play with the ball at their feet and are required in central zones.

Not a cop out at all. I dont think he should play anywhere else as wont run enough or defend enough.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Messi can't do anything about the fact that Argentina's build up is slow as fuck, that they have virtually no counter/transition play and that their defense runs around like headless chickens. ARG consistently plays below their possibilities. Obviously, they would be way worse without Messi.

I agree with the last sentence 100%. However I think Messi himself contributes to Argentina's slow build up. For example today he was hogging the ball too much and was too slow when Argentina had a few counter opportunities. He could have been quicker and passed the ball to a teammate.

Sorin

Done that a few times and missed as well.

Still missed many more by trying to be cute. By now it's clear that he can't place the ball to save his life from the spot. If he hits it hard at least there's less time for the keeper or he can't handle it as easy. One thing is having to punch a soft ball, another is when a canon ball comes towards you. Not saying he'll score 10/10 but at this point he can't hit 10/10 either way. At least smash it so you don't have any regrets.

M

MessiCam

More threat from parking bus vs Real than Barca for obvious reasons.

Even then teams do it hence the cross after cross games that happen so often.
That’s not because of parked buses that’s just how Madrid play and even if what you say is true Messi is too short to make himself a nuisance in the box in those instances and hence he picks up positions outside of it. Madrid very rarely face parked buses because they don’t dominate the ball in the manner Barcelona do. The games it does happen like against Tottenham they shit the bed.

Givenchy

I don't think its a lack of stamina or motivation. imo hes trying to do too much himself which admittedly works more often than not at Barca but international football is a different ball game alltogether pardon the pun.

Masch should be captain, sure hes not their best player but leadership skills are what a captain needs and Messi sadly lacks those. same for England with Harry Kane, hes our best player sure but hes not a leader. Messi shouldn't be wearing that armband, I dont care if Diego did, being your teams best player doesn't equate to captain material.

please fucking take him off penalties aswell, let Aguero take them.

his biggest issue for me, he can't get out of that 'everything must run through me' mentality hes been forced into at Barca. Dybala should be starting, i don't really give a shit about this 'they get in eachothers way' this is a world cup, 6 games to try and glue a team together, when you have players of that talent you make it work.

JamDav1982

That’s not because of parked buses that’s just how Madrid play and even if what you say is true Messi is too short to make himself a nuisance in the box in those instances and hence he picks up positions outside of it. Madrid very rarely face parked buses because they don’t dominate the ball in the manner Barcelona do. The games it does happen like against Tottenham they shit the bed.

Real want to play on break as first thought so no it is not about their style of play. It is their style of play when teams sit deep and park the bus.

Barcelona face parked buses due to slow possession play as well if that is what you want to make it about.

Real are harder to defend by parking bus for obvious reasons.

They face them all the time which leads to the endless crossing.

Home of Barca Fans