10 - Lionel Messi - v5

Devils

Looks like a free kick. He has such an accurate shot with his laces and yet still does this soft kick.

Yeah exactly. You'd think Messi of all people would trust his talent and strike through with his laces.

The technique in the image makes sense for a free kick if you are going for more placement and trying to curve the ball over a wall, but for a penalty kick it makes more sense to go for power.

Stoichkov1

I don't think it is his techniques that failed him in PK (practicing more would help though), I think it is his nervousness/lack of mental toughness that failed him. He succumbs to pressure too easily in big games when he takes PK. I don't blame him, there are people who are easily nervous (I am one of them).

Not sure what he can to deal with that.

He's just awful at penalties. Some players like Ronaldo or Lewandowski are really good at them and players like Higuain or Messi aren't.

blaugrana1987

Madrid is a force so most teams will sit deep. No doubt. But it's very hard to park the bus and not concede vs. Madrid.

But it's easier for Ronaldo because he's better at breaking buses than Messi.
Lol no he is target man there, if team doesnt deliver he is nowhere more often then not. Messis role is to break bus by either scoring or passing the ball.

Sorin

Not really. Yes, Croatia attacks better but it's not that much of a difference.

And, you wouldn't tell it when you see names, but don't have a functioning midfield. Our coach, Dalić, wants Modrić to play as a 10. Doesn't work well, yet he won't give up.

Also, the pivot pairing (Brozović and Rakitić) don't cover the space between them and the defense well. Croatia suits Messi.

Just individual quality and its enough to take advantage of that defence. I get it that you can be more than that, but just look at the chances that Iceland got. It's like they faced a team of Van Bastens and brazilian Ronaldo's. Headless chickens every one. Maybe Messi will have less harder time but it doesn't mean that Argentina will win it.

Joan

Lol no he is target man there, if team doesnt deliver he is nowhere more often then not. Messis role is to break bus by either scoring or passing the ball.

Yet buses are there to prevent players from scoring or passing. That's why those tactics works well vs. Messi.

If Ronaldo's in the box marked by a few, you can either try to pass him the ball or to cross him the ball.

With Messi crossing doesn't work.

It's easier to break the bus with Ronaldo.

Hardy

Messi shots penalty without confidence, there is nothing worst than take penalty if you are afraid to miss it.

Joan

Just individual quality and its enough to take advantage of that defence. I get it that you can be more than that, but just look at the chances that Iceland got. It's like they faced a team of Van Bastens and brazilian Ronaldo's. Headless chickens every one. Maybe Messi will have less harder time but it doesn't mean that Argentina will win it.

Don't see how they won't win it.

Iceland is a team. Croatia is not.

MTL_Barca

You just can't park the bus well vs. Real or Portugal. They are crossing first teams. For Real we all know, with Portugal it's the same. They've scored most of their goals via crosses to Ronaldo and Andre Silva.

Parking the bus is, on the other hand, good tactics to stop teams built around Messi. As we know.

Well they looked pretty clueless 2016 vs Iceland when all Portugal could do was parking the bus themselves the whole tournament.

Just because they have a tall guy that doesn't mean it's easy to break parked buses, crossing can also achieve next to nothing vs teams like that.

Last edited:

blaugrana1987

Yet buses are there to prevent players from scoring or passing. That's why those tactics works well vs. Messi.

If Ronaldo's in the box marked by a few, you can either try to pass him the ball or to cross him the ball.

With Messi crossing doesn't work.

It's easier to break the bus with Ronaldo.
Exactly. And Giroud is great at breaking the bus. My point is, Messi plays completely different position to that of Ronaldo. Like comparing Maradona and Gerd Muller.

Joan

Well they looked pretty clueless 2016 vs Iceland when all Portugal did was parking the bus themselves.

Just because they have a tall guy that doesn't mean it's easy to break parked buses, crossing can also achieve next to nothing vs teams like that.

Nothing's certain in football.

Just saying it's easier to break the bus via crossing than passing around the box. Not that teams can't park the bus vs. crossing first teams at all, but it's harder.

Joan

Exactly. And Giroud is great at breaking the bus. My point is, Messi plays completely different position to that of Ronaldo. Like comparing Maradona and Gerd Muller.

I thought your point was that Ronaldo wasn't better than Messi at breaking the bus.

Of course they are different.

Home of Barca Fans