10 - Lionel Messi - v5

-SG7-

If you were to analyse messi over all his knockout appearances through out his career, is he the same as he is now, bar a minor drop in performance? As in was he walking around the pitch back then as well? I think a good way too see this is get the distances covered during each game for the comps. (Not sure how/where i can pull thr stats maybe you guys know?)

Not pulling excuses...but could it be due to his medical condition (growth deficiency) that gets him fatigued quicker in knockout competitions. Is it mental block he gets? Not sure what the underlying problem is.

Apprently in past 4 world cups he hasnt scored any goals in knockout rounds. Doesnt mention assists though which in my opionin are just as important if not on the same level as goals in thosr type of comps.

Past 4 world cups is during the time when messi was at his peak. If he was walking around back then as well...seems to me that its the national team coaches that have failed him in being able to adapt to his situation.

Last edited:

Horatio

You're welcome
He reminds me of Ronaldo fenomeno as well when it comes to how explosive he is. Kid is still very young. I like him though since he isnt flashy in that social media way like neymar and pogba for example.

El fenomeno? No way. Fundamental difference is is that Killian needs his space. Ronaldo would squeeze through 2 or 3 players.

raskolnikov

The result is better than what should have happened. France is insanely stacked like they were in 98/00/02. They are just not playing to their full potential yet. Deschamps letting them play counter all game is a waste of talent. Argentina on the other hand are going trough a bad time.

I wish Messi had a team with a great midfield like Riquelme/Veron type players rather than the likes of pavon, Biglia and perez. Not to mention the thugs in defense.
Its a miracle they scored 3 goals to be honest. I would have won 1k if it wasnt for that fluke Aguero goal by the way. Argentina needs a total overhaul. Time fir a different generation to represent them. Messi wont be in Qatar anyway, he might as well call it quits and focus on his last 3/4 Barca years.

RMU ReBorn

The way Sampoli completely ignored Lo Celso is beyond me . Guy is far better than any midfielder Argentina has now with the exception of Banega . This team would do much better with a manager like Simeone who can utilise the potential of players like Dybala , Lo Celsa and pavan . Under Sabella Argentina had one of their best defensive unit in 2014 ,with Garay ,Rojo , Zabaletta , Masche all peaking in

Mitchell1978

Don't think he "doesn't move" because he doesn't want to. Maybe it's something with his physique that he doesn't run as much as other players. Whatever it is and even if he was sitting on his ass all the time, he gave Barca and football in general more than any other player that existed.

He's consistently been the best footballer in the world for 12 years now.

People are upset and disappointed because his superior ability and talent didn't reflect in number of trophies. I get that. But some people need not be that shallow.

Some people even have been complaining about his lack of defensive contributions and low work rate since he was a Barca B player (just reed one of his biographies).
The amount he runs has been pretty consistent since he first played as a false 9 i'm shure (around 8k)
So i don't get why people are complaining about this. And btw it was the same after the previous WC.
He's more or less playing like he always has. He just never had this little talent around him to work with.

booge

Anyway his world cup goals have been pretty brilliant.

Nigeria free kick, solo effort, bosnia and iran.

Also in the friendlies scored some crackers against the likes of France and Brazil.

It's going to be a travesty when he completely loses his pace.

The only goal he scored at this world cup reminded me of all the old Guardiola messi. Sliding right foot finish :)

Raketa10

he should retire from NT once and for all. there's no point for him to continue anymore. no matter what happens he will always be singled out for any failure,like now,again. fans and media are shitting on him while basically ignoring everyone else.

Apsolutely not!!! Should Ronaldo retire because he dodn’t win WC? Stop talking bullshit. He brought them to 3 consecutive finals and for me that’s an astonishing achievement. He can stil win Copa and he should keep trying.

sundar

This is the problem with international football. Players rarely play together. And in 4 years many thing changes. You need to be lucky with injuries and the level of opponents.
They had a chance in 2014. They bottled it.
You don't get an opportunity like that.

kilian

The fact that everyone expected him to drag Argentina to the final and in contrast no one expected the similar with Ronaldo and Portugal says everything there is to say about their legacies.

Most papers today talk about Messi exiting the WC, mentioning Ronaldo on a much smaller scale.
I`m sad for our little alien, but I`m glad his legacy is untouched, as it should be. This Argentina team really didn`t deserve to be world champions.

Ritchie

That Argentina side were never winning the World Cup. The fact Messi got them there single handed was enough. It would have affected legacy more had they not qualified and he still produced moments in the tournament. The Croatia game was a low but he turned it on against Nigeria and assisted goals against France who are just a far better team.

He should stick it out for the Copa next year where they may have a chance if they can rebuild effectively but they need to move most of the old guard on and there just isn't enough coming through.

He could stay for the next World Cup but even qualifying will be a long hard slog.

vlad

Some people even have been complaining about his lack of defensive contributions and low work rate since he was a Barca B player (just reed one of his biographies).
The amount he runs has been pretty consistent since he first played as a false 9 i'm shure (around 8k)
So i don't get why people are complaining about this. And btw it was the same after the previous WC.
He's more or less playing like he always has. He just never had this little talent around him to work with.

thing is, he doesnt have anymore best midfield behind, so he cant run same amount kilometers as before, but he still does this and that is a problem for few seasons now

Windhook

Now all of sudden journalists realize that Maradona had 5 world class defenders and DM to back him up during the 1986 World Cup. Winning singlehandedly in football is a MYTH. It's simple as that - you don't have a good team, you don't win.

Home of Barca Fans