10 - Lionel Messi - V6

El Barcelona

The whole team goes in full retard mode in away ko games + our tactics are so easy to predict. EV is so predictable and can't fix our right flank with Messi drifting to the middle. So it's basically everyone's fault, the players, coach and the directors who don't have the balls for making radical changes in the squad. They keep counting on the old core who don't have the legs/lungs anymore to run and press the whole game. Blaming only Messi is just not fair but bbz made some good points to.

EdmondDantes

The whole team goes in full retard mode in away ko games + our tactics are so easy to predict. EV is so predictable and can't fix our right flank with Messi drifting to the middle. So it's basically everyone's fault, the players, coach and the directors who don't have the balls for making radical changes in the squad. They keep counting on the old core who don't have the legs/lungs anymore to run and press the whole game. Blaming only Messi is just not fair but bbz made some good points to.

Not the whole team. Against Liverpool, our midfield was the fulcrum of our disastrous performances - home and away. Busquets has declined physically but he absolutely cannot play with two - technically shit - non-footballers like Rakitic and Vidal, especially when one of them has turned into an absolute, ever hiding pussy, in Rakitic.

Look at Liverpool, even their distroyer Fabinho, who's a monster, is incredible an elegant on the ball.

The irony is, Messi was the one who masked the absolute shit that midfield served up in the first leg.

Last edited:

Judoman

Maybe because there isn't ONLY ONE reason for our failures.

Again with reinventing the wheel.

The thing is, you are focusing on the smallest problems, which often aren t even a problem, but only a consequences of the underlying cause. Does that make sense to you?

The cause is very simple and you just need to aknowledge it:

The management screw up big time with setting up a team post-Guardiola era.

Everything from this point, when Guardiola left was a consequence of multiple bad decisions. A snow ball effect.

The problem no. 1 on your list started when? After Guardiola right? Why? Why did this problem grow more prominent? Is it Messi s fault?

Who is responsible for getting the right players and coaches and building a team based on multiple factors, which include their mentality?

It s not hard to understand and we ve been over this multiple times, but it seems like it s more fun for some ppl to pinpoint Messi s lack of leadership as a problem, or perhaps Dembele s lack of discipline.

It s absurd man.

First task after Guardiola left was to find a WC coach. Management failed to do this.
Than we had aging Xavi-Iniesta, we needed long term replacements. Management failed to do this.

This two things started Messidepencia. Of course the ball is gona go to the only guy who knows what to do with it. It was better with prime Suarez and Neymar, but we still didn t have much control-creativity in midfield.
There was a way to pivot from this point with more muscle-speed in midfield, but we had Busquets, Rakitic and aging Iniesta. So....

Again, it doesn t make sense to discuss Messi s shortcomings, when there are much bigger problems around him and most things you mentioned are the concequences of the snow ball effect.

Last edited:

El Barcelona

Not the whole team. Against Liverpool, our midfield was the fulcrum of our disastrous performances - home and away. Busquets has declined physically but he absolutely cannot play with two - technically shit - non-footballers like Rakitic and Vidal, especially when one of them has turned into an absolute, ever hiding pussy, in Rakitic.

Look at Liverpool, even their distroyer Fabinho, who's a monster, is incredible an elegant on the ball.

The irony is, Messi was the one who masked the absolute shit that midfield served up in the first leg.
Not only our midfield. Alba played his worst game of the season, Stegen also, Piqué played his worst game in months, Coutinho was just Coutinho just like Suarez. Messi couldn't put his feet in the game because all the mess and probably I forgot a lot other stuff because I don't want to remind to that night. In my eyes the team failed as a collective and EV tactics where wrong and couldn't change the game to. Everything was wrong that night and a lot of players were thinking that everything was already decided. Just my opinion but I respect yours to. That night was a big disappointment and showed they all didn't learn anything from the last slaughterings in the past couple of seasons. The games after Liverpool were a disaster to what showed how weak they all were after the defeat. I'm curious about what is coming next in this season..

Totally agree with Judoman.

MagIX

Messi should stick to the false nine role and play more close to the box, is there where he shines. He wants to be a Xavi in this part of his carreer but he cannot be a Xavi, he doesnt has the brain of Xavi to play in that role

Yes, it would be better (for him and the team) that Messi play close to the box, but unfortunately he's forced to do 2 jobs together: be the creative player (10) and be the top scorer (9). What Messi is doing is simply outstanding, so exceptional that it seems normal, score as one of the best ever forward-centre (9) and create (assists, key passes, through balls,..) as one of the best ever fantasist (10)....but despite that, he's human and soccer is a team sport, we can't pretend his magic in every single match. Messi has such an important (messidipendencia) part that we have reached such an absurd situation: if Barcelona wins or loses it's because of Messi's merit/demerit, as if we weren't a team.
I repeat: soccer is a team sport and there is no such thing as a player who alone makes a team win everything.
This fucking messidependencia ruined/is ruining both Messi and the team, a situation that has arisen "thanks to our incompetent board with a total absence of visions, serious and long term projects and failed transfer market." (quote myself).

Judoman has explained the problem very well in the post above.

Last edited:

EdmondDantes

Rumours is that Messi's starting vs Chile tonight. I don't get why he's so keen to play such a meaningless game. 3rd place play offs are pointless.

eaman

Rumours is that Messi's starting vs Chile tonight. I don't get why he's so keen to play such a meaningless game. 3rd place play offs are pointless.

If you look at tournaments in an Olympic kind if way they're not. He can add a bronze medal to his already impressive collection of silver's including world cup silver which is a great achievement. But I think the real reason he is playing is because he can see this team is improving with every game and he wants another game to try and gel even more. Better than a friendly and all that

FCB1987

Banned
No win situation tonight. Play well or win and he'll be mocked for doing it after they're knocked out and only beating Chile in the meaningless game. Lose or play poorly and he'll be mocked for another failure.

Home of Barca Fans