11 - Neymar Jr. - v4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neeraj

Let's hope he comes back in good form and spirit after this great (albeit symbolic) victory!

Off topic - I'm going to miss the olympics! I love these sort of tournaments - olympics, world cups, etc. For those few weeks, you feel like you are part of the action, almost as if you are in the city. Brazil has done an amazing job after being under so much scrutiny about its preparation and readiness for the games. The closing ceremony was spectacular! Wish I could have attended this olympics - a beautiful city with beautiful people. I've earmarked my calendar though - Tokyo 2020 - will be there!

Messi983

ffs holidays are over he should get his ass back to training asap

Barça won't train until Wednesday, he'll be back by then.

I was thinking yesterday about that he'll come back and play against Bilbao (I think he'll start on the bench) and then he'll fly back to South America to play WC qualifications for Brazil. Now it's too late and it probably wouldn't happen anyway but I think when they negotiated his participation in Olympics the club should made an agreement with Brazil FA that he won't be called up for those two September qualification games. He should stay in Barcelona resting and make some kind of preseason training over the next two weeks.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
He shouldn't bother coming back then since he's not likely to play vs. Bilbao anyway.

He's basically on vacations since May with a partylike participation in amateurish Olympic cup.

BBZ8800

You still wont say the criteria for Neymar playing well across a whole season.

You leave it to being subjective and you constantly change the goal posts as has been pointed out.

Aren't majority of judgements on a player somewhat subjective?

Someone may think that the last season he played like a crap, the other guy may think that he was the 3rd best player in the world.

Some will point to stats like scored goals, assists, ratio of goals/assists compared to minutes played or ending product against bigger teams.
Some will say in some eras or for some players that stats mean a lot, while in other eras: stats don't mean a lot and there is a lot more in football than stats (Cr7's debate).

At the end of the day, in a season 2014/15 both Neylovers and Neydoubters/haters had to agree that he was awesome, instrumental in winning a CL (both on an individual and team's level) and that he was 2nd, 3rd or 4th best player in the world.

In 2015/16 he was below that level.
Both his individual stats were weaker, like scored goals and assists.
Also his personal impact (a subjective view) was weaker than in 2015/16.
Also, his team's results (Barca) were weaker in 2016 than in 2015.
Also, even voters for Ballon D Or will rank him lower in 2016 than in 2015.

So, on lots of objective, semi objective and subjective levels, Neymar was weaker in 2016 than in 2015.

Since I don't have a magic formula to please your criteria, let's use as many as possible criterias, like mentioned above:
1. total goals scored
2. total number of assists
3. impact on a field, regarding goals+assists
4. goals+assists+general impact in key La Liga matches, not against Granadas and Levantes (CR7's style)
5. goals+assists+general impact in key Champions league matches (not group stage matches in autumn)
6. trophies at the end of the season. (I know, CL is somewhat lucky tournament, but the best and most influental players usually CAN find a way to fight against all obstacles and to bring us titles in the end. Ronaldinho's/Messi's style. Even Cr7's style lately, even though majority will call it a pure luck. The same applies for La liga. A true leadres/winners will eb able to carry a team on their shoulders even if half or their team play like a crap.)
7. opinion and his ratings outside of Barca's forum, like Ballon D Or, journalists etc (at the end of the day, he still received more all round worldwide praise in 2014/15 than in the last season)

So, my point is: if he would play more or less the same, or close to a level of his 2014/15 season, then THAT would really be a true 2nd best player in the world and a true future Barca's leader and probably the best player for years, behind Messi/Cr7.
Then all the hype and hopes from Barca fans would make sense.

But if he'll continue to play like Neymar from 2015/16, then he is a flop in terms of hopes for: the 2nd best player in the world, a future Barca's leader etc.

So, I am not saying that he isn't one of the best players in the world.
But there is a difference between being an undisputed No1 or a No2 in the world, and between being ONE OUT OF TOP 5-6-7-8-9-10 best players in the world.

You see, in 2015, it was something like this (my view, not a fact, lol):
1. Messi
2. Neymar
3. Suarez
-------------
4. all other players in the world

In 2016, it was something like:
1-2. Messi and Cr7 (but he will win because of CL and Euros)
3, 4, 5. Bale, Griezmann, Suarez
6-10: random top players like Pogba, Benzema, Neymar, Zlatan, Iniesta, Kross etc

Barcaforum and Ney's hype are predicting that he will be more or less undisputed No1-No2 already or at least very soon.
My prediction for the next season, and for his general career is that he will be closer to 5th-10th place.
He will be one of the best players in the world, but NOT exactly as good, as influental and with such an ability to lead Barca as people are expecting.

To make it simper: just copy this to the next season and that's it.

If you'll try to get some numbers, like: Neymar needs to score 30 goals and we need to win a CL/La Liga or something, I am not trying to "ruin away", but it is really way more complicated than that.
Cr7 won a CL and Euros, and 90% of people on this forum don't give him any credit for that.
He was lucky, he was not influental etc.
This is why I can't say: if Barca wins a CL in 2017, that will automatically mean that Ney is a No2 in the world. Or if we won't win it, that he is a crap.
It is not that simple.

I prefer to look at more factors, as mentioned above to rank his season as average, good or godlike like in 2015.

Last edited:
F

Flavia

Lucho gave him permission to stay this week here. Since there's a Fifa date after the game vs athletic, and he'd need to come back anyway.

Raketa10

Lucho gave him permission to stay this week here. Since there's a Fifa date after the game vs athletic, and he'd need to come back anyway.

Great! Now he can drink and do nothing for next 15 days so when he comes back he will bi total shit for next two months!!!! This is beyond stupid!

CatalinR10

Great! Now he can drink and do nothing for next 15 days so when he comes back he will bi total shit for next two months!!!! This is beyond stupid!

maybe wait untill he comes back and judge him on said 2 months and talk in november rather than talking crap in august

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
If he would have to come back to Brazil for Brazi NT's fixtures anyway, it makes sense for him to stay there. The question is whether we can beat Athletic without him this Sunday.

FC B

Barça won't train until Wednesday, he'll be back by then.

I was thinking yesterday about that he'll come back and play against Bilbao (I think he'll start on the bench) and then he'll fly back to South America to play WC qualifications for Brazil. Now it's too late and it probably wouldn't happen anyway but I think when they negotiated his participation in Olympics the club should made an agreement with Brazil FA that he won't be called up for those two September qualification games. He should stay in Barcelona resting and make some kind of preseason training over the next two weeks.

This!

Barca's management is unfortunately way too incompetent for such a must do manouver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans