11 - Neymar Jr. - v4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
Neymar's move was perfect. If Messi held his run, he would have acres of space and an empty net to shoot into.

Messi holds his run, and doing so keeps the second defender on himself. It's only until Neymar beats his defender that the second one sprints to him opening Messi. Neymar needed to pass the ball then and there. Instead he took an extra touch, a touch that was also a tad heavy and pushed the ball away from his body, allowing the 2nd defender time to close him out and cut his angle. That pass needed to come sooner.

BerkeleyBernie

That's a tough call. In real time, I thought it was a crap pass, but looking at the angle when he passed, he couldn't have put it any softer, or closer to either Bayern player. I think in normal play, he buries the shot; the only reason for the hesitation was he was already deciding to hold the shot to give Messi a chance to score.

I'm the first to be critical of Neymar's decision-making (and frankly, I don't see him ever developing a prescient vision of the game, seeing a few moves ahead; no signs that he is that kind of player), but I can't really fault him here. The decision was not about how best to score (obviously, take the shot), but whether to help his teammate score an otherwise meaningless goal.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
I don't mind the play and certainly not criticizing Neymar. Play didn't work out, it happens. All we're doing here is speculating really, what should have or could have happened to make the play work.

I've always said I'd rather players fail being unselfish, than fail being selfish.

Heavy

What bothers me most about his game at the moment is the constant slowing down of our attack. You'll see him get the ball, our entire team run forward quickly, and then he'll literally stop in front of a defender and do the whole standing-here-thinking-what-move-to-pull-next thing.
I do that also, in both martial arts and football, you don't really think about it but you are judging opponent timing, reactions, reaction speed, aggressiveness, cautiousness, etc. Most people watching just don't get it when they are testing each other, both in football and martial arts, which is completely understandable, and start booing.

Sometimes though he does it to hold the ball and pass time to increase the chances of winning. Also some times he HAS to do it to improve the chances of when he picks up and just run instantly.

A few times he does it because he thinks it looks cool, which is very rarely true, he does it too much already for other reasons.

Heavy

That's on Neymar footy. He's decision making is the one part of his game that needs to grow still. He held onto that ball just too long and allowed the second defender to close down on him and take away his angles. He should have passed as soon as he beat the first defender instead of taking that extra touch. That extra touch screwed the move.
No way that works, he would have to give the ball too slow and the goalkeeper catches it, the right move was going for the goal or if he really must pass to Messi dribbling the second and seeing if Messi isn't offside.

imo

kollegah

I think he is a top 3 finisher in the world.

Few examples of goals only few players could score.

-the one at Calderon after the pass from Suarez, the ankle wasn't perfect but his shot and movement was epic.
-the second one versus bayern, looked easy but 99% would have choosen long corner
-the one versus Spain in confed cup final
-the one at World Cup group stage don't render against whom, but the keeper didn't even move
-the one at Calderon, where he took oblaks life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans