11 - Raphinha

Maradona37

17 goals in the league, 1 in the FA Cup, 6 in the League Cup (one of which was a phantom goal in the final) and 6 in the EL.

So basically, even in his best season he was a cup player, and couldn't break 20 goals in the league. And given stats are all he has, that's pretty poor.

JamDav1982

Too much wanking over stats. I watched him the entire season and his general play was still absolutely abysmal.

And seeing as you love stats, he scored less goals in the league than Ivan Toney. Scored a lot in the cups and EL.

Plus like I say it was ONE SEASON. It was an anomaly statistically that will never be repeated.

Aye Toney is a CF and is a good CF... Rashford was wide and destroyed likes of Barca that season.

Maradona37

Would rather take the punt on what Rashford can bring than what Raphinha does.. could go wrong absolutely.

Thats the punt.

At worst lose back up RW.. at best have LW with pace and ability to run in behind in way dont currently.
Fair enough. I rate him far less than you, and given his mediocre technique, and the fact he's been wank in his career far more often than he's been good, I don't think I am harsh in doing that.

JamDav1982

17 goals in the league, 1 in the FA Cup, 6 in the League Cup (one of which was a phantom goal in the final) and 6 in the EL.

So basically, even in his best season he was a cup player, and couldn't break 20 goals in the league. And given stats are all he has, that's pretty poor.

Dont agree.

Would take that punt and for what he can bring to team with the pace... if can get him back to one of his up seasons and that would be the gamble.

Can absolutely guarantee any top team would rather be facing Barca with Raphinha LW than Rashford in that form.

Maradona37

Aye Toney is a CF and is a good CF... Rashford was wide and destroyed likes of Barca that season.
He is, but Callum Wilson scored more than him, admittedly decent too. But nobody is paying 100m for Callum Wilson.

Barca away was one of his best performances that season - maybe that is the one you remember and are extrapolating to his entire season. But I can assure you he spent a lot of games being invisible then getting a chance in the box.

And like I say, it's an anomaly. He will not break 30 goals, 40/G and A again. And as I said they mostly came in cups that Man U have higher ambitions than anyway (6 in League Cup).

Maradona37

Dont agree.

Would take that punt and for what he can bring to team with the pace... if can get him back to one of his up seasons and that would be the gamble.
Fair enough. It's a game of opinions. I am diametrically opposed to yours in this argument, and given Rashford's career so far, I'd say it backs me up far more than it does you. You even admit it would be a punt/shot in the dark.

Barca have enough financial problems without paying money for Rashford and taking on his massive wages. But I know it will never happen anyway and you are talking hypothetically.

JamDav1982

Fair enough. It's a game of opinions. I am diametrically opposed to yours in this argument, and given Rashford's career so far, I'd say it backs me up far more than it does you. You even admit it would be a punt/shot in the dark.

Barca have enough financial problems without paying money for Rashford and taking on his massive wages. But I know it will never happen anyway and you are talking hypothetically.

No I would say it backs me up.. his peaks are far higher than Raphinhas have been and he is absolutely the type top teams would not like to face when playing like that.

For what squad needs would rather have him and take that risk as opposed to back up RW.

Maradona37

Also, I notice you said Toney is a CF, like it's a hindrance and disadvantage for Rashford to play LW in comparison.

When the truth is, Rashford would score less at CF as he doesn't have the tools to play the position, unlike Toney. Rashford is essentially a left striker and coming in from the left allows him to maximise his goalscoring and suits his style of play.

It's like when people said Ronaldo scored lots of goals 'from the wing', when heat maps showed he was often more central and advanced than Benzema. Rashford couldn't succeed as a CF.

Fati_Future_BallonDor

I always felt he is more a tier 2 player but as a sub he is good for Barca, here and there he has also some insane games like against PSG but overall i dont think he is a long-term solution for Barca

Maradona37

No I would say it backs me up.. his peaks are far higher than Raphinhas have been and he is absolutely the type top teams would not like to face when playing like that.

For what squad needs would rather have him and take that risk as opposed to back up RW.
Nah you're well wide of the mark. I know his peak is higher than Raphinha but he's still not good enough for one of the best teams in the world - neither is Fernandes. That's why having Rashford and Fernandes as your best players gets you nowhere near the title a la Man U.

And you're extrapolating Rashford's once in a blue moon/very rare good form and applying it across his whole career, just looking at him at his best - when the bulk of his career he's been poor and mediocre.

In your own immortal words - do better.

Maradona37

I always felt he is more a tier 2 player but as a sub he is good for Barca, here and there he has also some insane games like against PSG but overall i dont think he is a long-term solution for Barca
He isn't, not at all. He's nowhere near good enough for a team that aspires to be one of the best teams in the world, definitely not as a starter. Jammy is just getting carried away and seems to have a weird soft spot for Man United - he was defending their performance against City the other day too, even though City were the better team.

JamDav1982

Also, I notice you said Toney is a CF, like it's a hindrance and disadvantage for Rashford to play LW in comparison.

When the truth is, Rashford would score less at CF as he doesn't have the tools to play the position, unlike Toney. Rashford is essentially a left striker and coming in from the left allows him to maximise his goalscoring and suits his style of play.

It's like when people said Ronaldo scored lots of goals 'from the wing', when heat maps showed he was often more central and advanced than Benzema. Rashford couldn't succeed as a CF.

Haha no.. I said Toney is good and a CF.. so it is no real argument against it anyway...

What are you going on about?

Couldnt care less if Rashford would score less at CF anymore than how much worse Toney would be LW.

Again.. couldnt care less about Rashford at CF.

Maradona37

Anyway, Rashford will play out his entire career at Man U never winning the PL or the CL, and guys like you will be saying when he's 50 and long retired that he could have been one of the best, if he just had applied himself/worked harder/if he didn't split with hid gf/if everything went right.

He's a bluffer mate with a PR team almost as good as Ronaldo's. DON'T BELIEVE IT.

JamDav1982

He isn't, not at all. He's nowhere near good enough for a team that aspires to be one of the best teams in the world, definitely not as a starter. Jammy is just getting carried away and seems to have a weird soft spot for Man United - he was defending their performance against City the other day too, even though City were the better team.

Aye Man Utd were better than just 'parking the bus' and even the heavily critical Keane etc mentioned it.

Top praise.

JamDav1982

Anyway, Rashford will play out his entire career at Man U never winning the PL or the CL, and guys like you will be saying when he's 50 and long retired that he could have been one of the best, if he just had applied himself/worked harder/if he didn't split with hid gf/if everything went right.

He's a bluffer mate with a PR team almost as good as Ronaldo's. DON'T BELIEVE IT.

While likes of you will claim Ronaldo etc were all PR.

Believe it.

Rashford a couple seasons back is on a level Raphinha wont get near.

Home of Barca Fans