14 - Javier Mascherano

Raed

Dr. Raed St. Claire
i have nothing against masch but he is too good to be a back up and not good enough/suited for us to start. we should have saved ourselves a lot of money and signed someone like inler.

He is very good but would be like Kieta. Not exactly a DM.

J

Jordzibob

Or we should have signed Veloso. Who can also drop back as a defender if neccesary. Not that I have anything against Masch, happy with signing, just mentioning an alternative option.

Aasim

Bumbleman
We should have bought Senna. Already played with half our players, cheaper and wouldn't mind sitting on the bench. Plus he could have helped Romeu and Busquets with their development more than Mascherano.

But we've got him now so we should make the most of him before he leaves in 2 years.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
or Lee Cattermole, who as Justin so wisely pointed out, is the exact same player as GASCHerano.

We should have bought Senna. Already played with half our players, cheaper and wouldn't mind sitting on the bench. Plus he could have helped Romeu and Busquets with their development more than Mascherano.

But we've got him now so we should make the most of him before he leaves in 2 years.
Senna is quietly having a solid season. He's become fragile but he's still class. It's a huge pity he wasn't part of the World Cup squad.

Aasim

Bumbleman
Senna is doing really well and so is Villarreal but we could have gotten him on the cheap. €7-10m would have been enough.

Yeah it really is a shame he did go to SA especially with VDB playing 2 DMs.

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
I'm sorry, have I travelled to an alternate world where Mascherano has been bad for us and has complained about sitting on the bench?

only you lot could make signing the best DM in the world for 17m and have him be a content backup into a bad thing.

twats. the lot of you.

Co0ter

I'm sorry, have I travelled to an alternate world where Mascherano has been bad for us and has complained about sitting on the bench?

only you lot could make signing the best DM in the world for 17m and have him be a content backup into a bad thing.

twats. the lot of you.

My thoughts exactly. The guy sacrificed some of his own earnings to come here and we got him for cheaper than Alonso and what we sold Toure for....Hardly a bad investment for one of the best pure DMs in the world, if not the best.

The best part is he hasn't even complained about being second choice to Sergio and his performances have been great, some brilliant. He comes in, closes down space and has made some brilliant tackles. His passing was a bit one-dimensional at first b/c he was new and nervous but has improved a lot if you've paid attention his last 2 appearances. And he has what, 2 yellow cards?

I'm still not even convinced with Sergio. Imo he still makes a bunch of awful passes, gives the ball away a lot and is barely involved in any scoring plays. There is no reason other than his height to start him over Mascherano b/c defensively, Masch is far superior.

Some people just like to whine. Boo hoo.

Last edited:
W

woobie

I think Mascherano was a very smart buy. He does seem content enough with his current role and he's being given time to accustom himself to Barcelona's playing style, etc. Long as he doesn't pull a Tevez (or something similar) I don't think anyone has a right to complain.

Got to disagree with cooter re: Biscuits. We must be watching different games because I'm not seeing bad giveaways or lack of action in scoring plays (and I recall a rather nice goal at San Mames, for example). I think at this point that Biscuits does fit better with the Barca setup even though I'd probably rate Mascherano as a better overall DM if it involved the two of them playing for any other club.

Aasim

Bumbleman
Not saying Masch has been crap, just that for back-up defensive midfielder, there maybe better options for the long term.

Mascherano ain't complaining now but how do you know he ain't next season? or even the season after?

UEFA_Barça_Chris

o Fenômeno
You think Mascherano would be good at the starting XI in El Derbi Barceloni? Would like him playing at the Cornellà-El Prat plus i think he's getting the hang of La Liga.

Co0ter

Got to disagree with cooter re: Biscuits. We must be watching different games because I'm not seeing bad giveaways or lack of action in scoring plays (and I recall a rather nice goal at San Mames, for example). I think at this point that Biscuits does fit better with the Barca setup even though I'd probably rate Mascherano as a better overall DM if it involved the two of them playing for any other club.

Nah, you''ve probably just got blind love for barcelona grown talent. Just last game where he was brought on as a sub, and the game before that, he had the ball in the midfield in a dangerous position (not many players behind him) and made an awful pass directly to the other team. He also holds up play at times by holding onto the ball too long and in doing so slows down passing/ball movement. He often gets himself into a pickle by holding onto it for too long. He makes errors too often for my liking and it doesn't help that he's a swan princess when he gets hit. I hate Ronaldo for doing it and it doesn't make it ok for him to do it just b/c he's on my favorite team.

Overall, I don't like him very much. Some commentators said that he was the next Pep and that he revolutionized that position in Barca. I lol'd. I just don't see it. He has a lot of improving to do before I feel comfortable with him in there. I feel much more comfortable with Mascherano playing behind Xavi/Iniesta.

Last edited:
W

woobie

Nah, you''ve probably just got blind love for barcelona grown talent.

:rofl1: Hardly that. I'm a milanista.

I just happen to think that Busquets is a better player in the position for Barcelona than Mascherano. I also contend that you're overly critical of Busquets because by your own admission you don't like him.

Home of Barca Fans