19 - Lamine Yamal

Maradona37

Yeah Robinho was.

I'd say Di Maria was a good dribbler and he's a decent height. You might disagree. He seemed to marry pace and explosiveness with going past people. He could turn in and out not bad.

Guys like Bale, C Ronaldo and to a lesser extent Kaka are explosion dribblers who rely on pace and more space, and dribble in straight lines. That's not the same as balance, feints, weaving, as I put it.

companyofcules

Being good at dribbling doesn't gets you the Balon d'or. You need end results and being small makes it very hard to see the game, shoot, cross, win duels. That's why Maradona and Messi are very special because they were strong too and great at decision making.

Maradona37

Yeah Messi and Maradona have great passing, dribbling, finishing, goalscoring (in Messi's case), playmaking, vision, free-kicks, exceptional in tight spaces and can wriggle out of holes so that they open up the pitch and create numerical advantages. But without their genius level decision making their gifts wouldn't be half as important.

Most of this doesn't show up in stats, but it's what makes them exceptional and geniuses.

Maradona37

And just in case IniestaGOAT reads this...

nobody here is claiming to be a football genius or near Pep or Cruyff's level of football understanding, so don't talk down to others. Most stuff is opinion and people think what they do (although shorter people being better dribblers is common sense and knowledge).

Don't talk down to people like you are some sort of sage, because trust me - you aren't.

Other than that I apologise for the ad homs, but you shouldn't instigate stuff if you don't want to get some back. Talk to people respectfully on issues like this.

Last edited:

companyofcules

Di Maria is a crossover in my opinion. I mean the issue is that there are people who think you aren't a dribbler if you don't do some flicks, tricks. But there is no point if you can pass the opposition without them. You are a dribbler if you can pass the opposition constantly and you can weave through them. If you do flicks it's a bonus. That's why you will see people arguing Cr7 at United was the best dribbler ever while stumbling from time to time. Stepsover ar seen as some proof of dribbling prowess when that's just an optional thing.

Maradona37

Di Maria is a crossover in my opinion. I mean the issue is that there are people who think you aren't a dribbler if you don't do some flicks, tricks. But there is no point if you can pass the opposition without them. You are a dribbler if you can pass the opposition constantly and you can weave through them. If you do flicks it's a bonus. That's why you will see people arguing Cr7 at United was the best dribbler ever while stumbling from time to time. Stepsover ar seen as some proof of dribbling prowess when that's just an optional thing.
Yeah, at my much much lower level I am (or was, I am older now) a quality dribbler and do a combo of feints and body movements. But I also do little moves and tricks here and there to try and move in the other direction (one thing I do is drag the ball behind me with the sole of my right foot while I am running right and to move the ball to my left side and quickly change direction, it's not a Cruyff turn, something different, but it seems to fool defenders). That in brackets would constitute more flashy or tricky dribbling.

What is great about Messi is he's economical with dribbling - he never tries tricks, showboats, or anything extravagant. He's just pure balance, feint, weaving and fooling the defender with movement and body shape, dropping a shoulder.

That's not to say that tricks are inferior, but I love Messi's more understated style. Maradona was similar with the balance and weaving but he wasn't as understated as Messi and tried tricks more often.

As for C Ronaldo - he's not a top dribbler imo. He was adequate, but his dribbling was based around space, running fast and useless stepovers, as you say. He also never seemed to be in control of the ball and it always looked like he was just 'recovering' it before the defender got it, even in long touches over 5 yards or so. It's night and day to Messi or Neymar who always showcased ultimate mastery of the ball.

JohnN

Tricks and flicks are good for street football and circus. Only kids think dribbling like this. These things rarely work in competitive games and are too inconsistent to rely on.

Maradona37

Tricks and flicks are good for street football and circus. Only kids think dribbling like this. These things rarely work in competitive games and are too inconsistent to rely on.
They can work (more so in one on ones where there's no second defender to take you out after you do it) but in general they are far less effective than body shape, feints, dropping a shoulder etc.

The likes of Messi, Maradona, even Best, were the best dribblers because they made it look so effortless and didn't need tricks as much.

Maradona37

Anyway I lost my temper a bit earlier. That guy's condescending, disrespectful comments just caught me off guard.

Apologies. Other than that it's been a good debate about dribbling, though off-topic for anyone wanting to read just about Yamal.

serghei

Best thing about him is his game IQ. Delivery and thinking are spot on. Those are elite already. The finishing instincts need improving. Cutting inside and picking a bottom corner like some of the best wide attackers do is something he needs in his game. This is gonna allow him to get to 20 goals a season at a minimum considering all the other qualities he has.

Because you are going to get to that amount of scoring proficiency just from bangers from long-ish range. You need to improve your finishing instincts also.

Maradona37

Relax bro he’s 15

Leave the kid alone he’s the forum darling
Is he really?

Damn, didn't know he was only 15. Thought he was a grown man.

That explains his attitude then. I'd have gone easier if I knew he was a kid.

I apologise to IniestaGOAT for being abusive. But mate, please treat others with respect.

vegitot

Ronaldinho wasn't a dribbler neither Henry, Kaka mostly not, Cruyff not in top 5, Zidane not in top 5. Stop using cocaine. Messi, Maradona, Zico, Romario, Best, Iniesta, Isco and the list goes on and on. A dribbler, uses his knee, hip and his balance more than his ankle. Short people are way more effective at dribling because they are more agile, have better balance, shorter legs to manage.
Ronaldinho is much better dribbler than Romario, Zico. He was agile during his prime years (not as much as Messi or Neymar though).

Home of Barca Fans