19 - Lamine Yamal

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
I am on the other side of the camp tbh. I think back in the days for a huge talent it was easier to create a huge gap than it is now. Now you have to take much better care of body as well to maintain longevity. The know-how of football available to all teams is infinitely more. Defenders are better equipped to deal with the truly talent today.

On the other side, did you see what kind of tackles Maradona and attacking players of his time had to endure?

Maradona37

I am on the other side of the camp tbh. I think back in the days for a huge talent it was easier to create a huge gap than it is now. Now you have to take much better care of body as well to maintain longevity. The know-how of football available to all teams is infinitely more. Defenders are better equipped to deal with the truly talent today.

Garrincha could really do well if he played today, but much more would be asked of him.
Yes, but that doesn't mean amazing talents didn't exist in the past.

And taking comments like that to their logical extension would be like saying Pele couldn't get a game for Crystal Palace as Mateta is better or a more 'modern' player than him. Ditto Garrincha with someone like Mitoma.

This idea that 'older equals worse' is far too uniform and lazy. Football is an eye test sport - someone born in the 40s can have more technical ability, vision, talent and football IQ than a player born in 1995. It's not like the 100 m where you know Usain Bolt is statistically, scientifically faster than Jesse Owens and that is it.

Maradona37

On the other side, did you see what kind of tackles Maradona and attacking players of his time had to endure?
I said that (and the balls, pitches, boots) and the kid just ignored it and insulted me.

There's also the fact that - for Maradona - Serie A was a far stronger league defensively than any modern league, with far fewer goals scored.

Which is why it's nonsensical when people compare Maradona's stats with Messi or Ronaldo's, without taking into account the existence of modern superclubs and a bigger gap between teams now. Needs context.

Last edited:

Loki

His father seems like a brainless tool. Don't think we will be able to keep Lamine for many years without being taken to the cleaners. Or keep him at all
Depends always on the player. If Lamine is mature enough to take decisions that benefit himself first of all, I don't fear the influence of his father. But it could also go the other way around of course.
The coming season will determine how much Barca has to offer to keep him.

M3ls

Some clowns write that even Leo was not so good at 16 years old.

Absolute nonsense. Okay, here the level of opposition is lower, but look at the skills - in terms of ball control, acceleration, speed, dribbling, quality of passes, Leo at 16 years old was much better than Yamal.

Maradona37

@M3ls

Yeah Messi was an amazing player even at 16. It was already apparent he was gonna be one of the greatest ever. Yamal is a step below but still best in the world material.

Gnidrologist

Knowing some thing about lamine's father make me think that his son is already smarter and more mature than him. It's not even a rare occasion, when kids are more generally intelligent than their parents. Hope i'm not mistaking, but Lamine seems to be very good kid, but also not a choir boy. He's fearless on the field, but also has good understanding of context and also seems relaxed and not a diva off the field. Maybe it's just his still childish face that puts me off. 16-17 is incredibly young age for the pro industry shark environment.

Windhook

This grows on me fast, saw it this morning.
SEI_212024247.jpg

'Beginning of two legends': Photos of Messi and baby Lamine Yamal resurface

Porque

Like Baby Jesus, Baby Lamine spoke to Messi and told him "you will become the best in the world, you will lead the nation of football until I reach the age of puberty. And as always, watch out for the yids".

Horatio

You're welcome
Does anyone actually know the story as to how that photo came to be?

It’s only NOT creepy cause we know how Lamine turned out. Now it’s epic, aye.

Would be funny if it is not Lamine and Barca just decided to say it is lol

Windhook

Does anyone actually know the story as to how that photo came to be?

It’s only NOT creepy cause we know how Lamine turned out. Now it’s epic, aye.

Would be funny if it is not Lamine and Barca just decided to say it is lol
The photos were posted by Lamine's father on Instagram. The photoshoot was for UNICEF, which Barca partnered with for some years.

Home of Barca Fans