19 - Lamine Yamal

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
He’s 17 and about to be launched into a media stratosphere far sooner than Messi did - I think how he is managed off the pitch is going to be as important as managing his minutes on the pitch while his body still develops physically

Even with Messi, they had to be concerned about the influences in the locker room and why Ronnie & Deco himself were shown the door under Pep. Similar can occur with Lamine since it is crystal clear the future is centered on Lamine Yamal

jamrock

He's adding over 500k followers per day to IG since the Euros, If we do well on Europe this season and Mendez has his follow the CR Instagram strategy, he'll be over 50m by the end of the season.

Windhook

He’s 17 and about to be launched into a media stratosphere far sooner than Messi did - I think how he is managed off the pitch is going to be as important as managing his minutes on the pitch while his body still develops physically

Even with Messi, they had to be concerned about the influences in the locker room and why Ronnie & Deco himself were shown the door under Pep. Similar can occur with Lamine since it is crystal clear the future is centered on Lamine Yamal
The pressure is different compared to Messi.

We have social media and constant attention. Messi had none of that. I remember when Messi was subbed on in 2005/06 games, thinking to myself "Who is this guy? Why not sub in Ezquerro?"

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
The pressure is different compared to Messi.

We have social media and constant attention. Messi had none of that. I remember when Messi was subbed on in 2005/06 games, thinking to myself "Who is this guy? Why not sub in Ezquerro?"
Undeniably accurate. Leo had the good fortune to have time to grow into his fame, many of us can probably recall that he was virtually an introvert until age 20 - avoiding any public speaking

Now you look at today’s tik tok generation of players and at 16 you’re a household name never mind talk of being an heir to the goat. Everything is rainbows & unicorns when things are going well, when they don’t it’s a different conversation

Although to be fair, no one ever asked for Santi to sub in over Messi :LOL:

The difference, for me, was that even though every decision Leo took on the pitch when he was a similar age is a far cry from the ruthless efficiency of Lamine it was palpably obvious Messi was a phenom we had never seen before. He was a Ferrari that would stall out from muscular injuries early on so the only concerns were about his staying healthy - no one saw 20 years later being a probability

Windhook

Messi is generational talent. We might not see such player in the next 10-15 years or even more. I only compare Lamine with Messi in age and reputation. Frankly I don't see the next Messi magic in Lamine, although he's IMO the best young player on the planet. I didn't have the feeling with Ansu Fati as well.

soul24rage

Messi is generational talent. We might not see such player in the next 10-15 years or even more. I only compare Lamine with Messi in age and reputation. Frankly I don't see the next Messi magic in Lamine, although he's IMO the best young player on the planet. I didn't have the feeling with Ansu Fati as well.
Yeah for me, Lamine's potential is the level of Kaka at AC Milan from 05-09 imo.

Within the Top 3-5 player of his generation.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Tragic in a way to see how the meniscus injury derailed his trajectory but while Ansu didn't demonstrate same skillset as Lamine he had an incredible knack for scoring goals - it was not an aberration, his body simply cannot execute what it could pre-injury

Not convinced he will regain it either and not because of a lack of effort/will on player's part but the lack of evidence from countless historical cases previously that cannot guarantee recovery to pre-injury level

Givenchy

Crazy how much 'generational talent' is thrown around now.

Yamal is the only wonderkid that deserves the tag 'generational' currently, as, at 16, he contributed massively in winning Spain the Euros and did what no other 16 y.o has done before, records have been broken.

mc_lovin

His age getting thrown around with his Euro win does him a bit of a disservice... he had a world-class tournament for any age. If this was Ronaldo at any point in his career we wouldn't hear the end of it.

That being said, the 'generational' tag will be decided by his physical prowess. I expect him to explode in the next year or two on that front. Or at least I hope so.

KingLeo10

He's amazing and achieved amazing things for Spain in the Euros...I still wouldn't say he's a generational talent.

For me, only 4 players have fallen in that category (Messi, Maradona, R9, Pele (just going by the achievements he had as a teenager and how he achieved those))

Seems about right to have 4 of those in 60-70 odd years - as in actually generational.

Home of Barca Fans