19 - Lamine Yamal

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Crazy how much 'generational talent' is thrown around now.

Yamal is the only wonderkid that deserves the tag 'generational' currently, as, at 16, he contributed massively in winning Spain the Euros and did what no other 16 y.o has done before, records have been broken.
Absolutely generational and absolutely it is overused for far too many young players. He is a record breaker - in 12 months he has set multiple records that may never be surpassed, and only still 17

Yamal is extraordinary, there is no next Leo but no doubt the first Lamine is going to define an era

vegitot

Messi is a God level talent, probably can only be rivalled by Maradona (and Pele, i'm not sure).

Yamal is a generational talent. He has everything to be one of the very best in this era. Also only current Barca player can do it (excluding old players like Lewandowsky, Gundogan...).

vegitot

Tragic in a way to see how the meniscus injury derailed his trajectory but while Ansu didn't demonstrate same skillset as Lamine he had an incredible knack for scoring goals - it was not an aberration, his body simply cannot execute what it could pre-injury

Not convinced he will regain it either and not because of a lack of effort/will on player's part but the lack of evidence from countless historical cases previously that cannot guarantee recovery to pre-injury level
I think in term of physicality, Fati doesn't lose much. Pretty same speed, same agility. He wasn't a pacy player pre injury at all.

What he lost is his spark. When he lost it, he will never find it again. Similiar to all players. They lose their sparks then they lose their games.

jamrock

He's definitely lost his agility and what little explosiveness he has, which is basically the "spark", he does cut as sharply has he use to and can't really separate from his parked over the first 5-10 yards.

The rest is in his mind.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
I think in term of physicality, Fati doesn't lose much. Pretty same speed, same agility. He wasn't a pacy player pre injury at all.

What he lost is his spark. When he lost it, he will never find it again. Similiar to all players. They lose their sparks then they lose their games.
And that was the initial prognosis, he’d lose the burst with a knee of a much older player

No spark, less special

FiReFTW

What do you guys realistically think is Yamal Lamine's ceiling?

So far he has demostrated:

Very good vision, pitch intelligence, smart decision making

Good eye for goal, good shoot (not spectacular but this aspect can be improved alot)

Good passing (not out of this world but pretty good)

Good technical ability and dribbling (not out of this world tho)

Ok pace but nothing crazy or out of this world

Explosiveness, agility and acceleration is alright, again nothing crazy

Potential problems that he will get even taller and taller making his dribbling even less effective

I would say he has a bit higher ceiling than the likes of Torres, Drogba, Shevchenko.. someone capable of being top 10 in the world, but I doubt top 3 in the world, that might be a stretch but maybe if he can massively improve aspects like shooting, finishing and maybe add some other traits like free kicks etc... it might be possible?

Whats everybody's thought?

Givenchy

Good eye for goal, good shoot (not spectacular but this aspect can be improved alot)

Potential problems that he will get even taller and taller making his dribbling even less effective

I would say he has a bit higher ceiling than the likes of Torres, Drogba, Shevchenko.. someone capable of being top 10 in the world, but I doubt top 3 in the world, that might be a stretch but maybe if he can massively improve aspects like shooting, finishing and maybe add some other traits like free kicks etc... it might be possible?

He's still so young so who knows how much more he grows and improves other sides of his game - he can pretty much improve in everything including speed as he grows. If he continues on the current path, he'll be a Ballon d'or winner.

iniestaGOAT

Only thing I am worried about is the fact that they did not give him the number 10 shirt.

like the GOAT drizzy drake AKA the boy once said,

READY NOW.. WHY WAIT?

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Like many I have been listening to many shows & analysts talking about the marvel that is our Lamine Yamal. So many things to be blown away by even last year when he debuted at 15, even before when you watch him with U17 or in La Masia - he had a knack for deciding outcomes all on his own despite being younger and the focal point of opposing defenses

When I think back at Leo at 16/17 and how he exploded, I am reminded how he was like a comet - no one saw it coming and you couldn’t wait for the next match to see him get minutes. He wasn’t always able to pull something off but you were always on the edge of your seat

Let’s be honest, in today’s game you can count players like that on one hand. What separates the greatest of any sport is their ability to not just demonstrate their skill/talent but make the right decisions at the most crucial of times and so consistently. Leo, we know how incredibly lethal he became by age of 20 when he accepted the responsibility of the #10 and carrying the burden of leading a team upon Ronnie’s exit - all before social media

Now flip forward to a kid who grew up in the age of social media where the pressures & burdens are far more present 24/7 - Leo never had this pressure at same age, never was followed in the media, having every channel & show pour over his highlights. Yet, when the moment matters in a big match - he delivers in a way you have come to enjoy only from the legends of the game. That’s extraordinary

So how good can he become? It’s up to him and how much humility & hard work he applies to his profession and yes, 17 years of age. We’ve seen cautionary tales of players that perhaps got extinguished prematurely like our own Ansu (however unlucky with the injury) or carve his own path to write history because he is a record breaker

What I am sure of is that he will only get better, now let that sink in

Home of Barca Fans