2011 CL Final: FC Barcelona - Manchester United FC 3-1 - Champions!

e28makaveli

Its tough to discuss things with people who can't see past their own players or team. The fact is they are both gifted players, and like i said earlier, for me the key to this game is who playes the best between the two players on the day. Rooney makes us tick, and at times without him we look lost, If he plays well so do we. Messi is a dream player, the ball seems stuck to his foot, but then I have never seen a player who can pass the ball like Rooney can.

I'd love to have them both, but given the choice I'd keep Rooney. Just my opinion, but I'm not taking anything away from Messi and his supreme gift as a player.

We have and Iniesta who are master passers of the ball :) and were world player nominees because of this particular aspect of their game.

You don't have to be a manager on par with Ancelotti to be able to see that Messi is on another planet compared to Wayne Rooney.

Messi does more for his team than Rooney and is crucial to Barcelona playing well. Especially when he has been the only one scoring the goals recently for Barcelona and has 23 assists.

You can kid yourself all you like that Rooney makes more of a difference for Man Utd than Messi does for Barcelona.

It is your opinion and you are entitled to it. Many would think you are wrong and that you look like the biased fanboy.
+1.

Last edited:

Richard.H

Stop being overconfident people! It's exactly this type of an attitude that can really bite us in the ass! I hope Pep gets the best video editors in Spain to make another motivational video before the match. I don't want the squad to have the same mindset as the people here.

e28makaveli

Didn't he say Messi is from other planet but Rooney is a class of his own!? That means he does say Messi is a better player than Rooney!! Regarding ''who's more important to his team'' discussion... I think it's down to personal opinion, so just listen to it. or point out if you don't think it's right, but don't just laugh it away!! He's been very cool with his posts so far, deserves respect IMO

Absolutely. Very respectable.

Ferguson practically said that.
....but not to be taken literally. I do not see United parking the bus. They will try to play. They have the players than can pressure us on the ball and force mistakes from the likes of Busquets. But it is quite possible as their counter attacks have more purpose. Once United is on a counter, there is no going back like we do at Barca, unless it is Messi with the ball.

+5. I also want to see the game end with 11 men on both sides.

yep, they have a special thread for messi to get injured! Fuckin' bloody bastards!
We are Barca and we shall not stoop that low.

Stop being overconfident people! It's exactly this type of an attitude that can really bite us in the ass! I hope Pep gets the best video editors in Spain to make another motivational video before the match. I don't want the squad to have the same mindset as the people here.

Nothing wrong with confidence. Confidence does not mean lack of respect for the opponent. It is not such confidence that will make us lose. Walking into the battle ground confident of your abilities, yet totally apprehensive of the opponent, makes you play better. Alves is very susceptible to this problem. Look at how he played against Shakthar in those first minutes.....where confidence was low. You sure do not want to send your army to the battle ground questioning their abilities.

Last edited:

Valdivia

Personally, I'm really pessimistic about this game. Teams like Man United are really good at finals, especially with us winning the Rome final they will come for revenge.
I really hope they don't kill the match with another "park the bus" game, and I also hope all our players are in their best form to give 100% effort.
The fact that the game is in England and with the whole bullshit that came after the Madrid matches, I hope the ref will be good and wont be affected.
Abidal starting ? Of course.

Barcilliant

How can anyone fucking compare Rooney with Messi or even Iniesta and Xavi??? How many times has Rooney been nominated for World Player of the year?? How many times has he even won it???

Unbiased UTd=very biased Utd fan. I am sorry OLD CHAP but you clearly have your rule britannia, little ingerlunder blinkers on.

Rooney cannot be mentioned in the same breadth as Iniesta, Xavi and Messi. Total different class altogether.

I don't want any Barca player injured. If we beat them I want it to be with their best players on the pitch.

Yes and I want your best players on the pitch. The excuses from Manure fans when you lost the 09 final was pathetic. They said they lost cause Fletcher wasnt there!!! LOL-Iniesta and Xavi would have run circles around that guy.

BerkeleyBernie

How can anyone fucking compare Rooney with Messi or even Iniesta and Xavi???
Rooney cannot be mentioned in the same breadth as Iniesta, Xavi and Messi. Total different class altogether.

Much as I love IXM, you can't completely separate the players from the teams. Rooney would fit in great in Barça's possession system.

But if anyone's going to hurt Barça in the final, it's going to be a pacy player on the counter- Nani, Evra, etc. Rooney will be a pivot.

Hatem Ben Arfa

Much as I love IXM, you can't completely separate the players from the teams. Rooney would fit in great in Barça's possession system.

But if anyone's going to hurt Barça in the final, it's going to be a pacy player on the counter- Nani, Evra, etc. Rooney will be a pivot.

spit-take.jpg

Wayne Rooney's 1st touch throughout this season and during the World Cup has been that of an Elephant! No joke! I've seen him in games this season where he couldn't trap a bag of cement. 1 in particular is the game where he scored that bicycle shin-kick against Man City. He was having a **** game before then. Then other games his control is very good, but more often than not, it's been terrible this season.

Just google Rooney vs Algeria to see Rooney's ball control and decide if it is befitting of FC Barcelona's possession game.

BerkeleyBernie

Well, Xavi, thinks different, But what the hell would Xavi know about touch? :p

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/feb/11/xavi-barcelona-spain-interview

Many have described Barcelona's 5-0 win over Real Madrid last November as the greatest performance ever. Even Wayne Rooney admits that he stood up in his living room and started applauding.

[Xavi's face lights up]. Yeah? Really? Rooney? That makes me proud. Rooney, wow! Rooney is extraordinary, he could play for Barcelona. And before people imagine headlines like "Xavi says Rooney to join Barcelona" – although, I'd love him to! – what I mean is that he's our kind of player.

XaviMessiGirl

I think we will beat them with or without Messi anyways.

Who would be our main goalscorer then? With Villa and Pedro wildly off form lately I don't know if we'd be able to rely on them. Maybe Iniesta? But still, having Messi is crucial for a win. Losing him would make Utd the favorites by a mile.

Messi__10

Who would be our main goalscorer then? With Villa and Pedro wildly off form lately I don't know if we'd be able to rely on them. Maybe Iniesta? But still, having Messi is crucial for a win. Losing him would make Utd the favorites by a mile.

Well Pedro started scoring again against Real... When strikers get their first goal they are getting more confident and that means they'll get more goals, you could see that villa was more confident aswell since he scored agains osasuna if I'm correct. I'm pretty sure they will play a couple of games befor the final in which they can score again so we will see

X

xenmate

Barça are the better team but Man United arrive in better form. Should be a belter.

Bilal Khan

Tito > Mou
I hate it when people are over confident, this is something that i never associated with barca fans.
as pep always does, we should do as well, Give respect to opponents! if they are Malaga or Real Madrid or Any club.
and here we are up against Manchester United, they are one of the best clubs in the world.. and are in the final for a reason.
we might be the better team on paper but anything can happen in 90 minutes.. now dont judge me to be pessimistic ! i will tell u guys a great old saying..

We can do it - its our belief
Only We can co it - Its over-confidence and arrogance!

unfortunately many people here are with the latter condition!!

I hope we beat them and we can do it InshAllah ... but they deserve some respect as well...
I hope for a great spectacle with no injuries to any players of either team before or during the match!

Visca Barca!

Home of Barca Fans