2011 CL Final: FC Barcelona - Manchester United FC 3-1 - Champions!

e28makaveli

Hello! Epic battle ahead. Can't wait. Barca are by far superior to us (IMO) as they are possibly the best team that has ever existed, will dominate the life out of any adversary in history but on any given one off game anything can happen. A red card + penalty. An inspired tactically astute United catching Barca on an off day. A mauling by someone.
One thing is for sure, we wont have much possession. I resign myself to that obvious fact. We have been dominated by all and sundry this season as the midfield is virtually at 04-05 levels (ok tad exaggeration perhaps, but its critical - sort it out sharpish fergie! in the summer). But as we have shown, especially against the likes of Barca-lite (arsenal) possession does not win you matches. Goals do. We accept we are not going out pass you. But we can sure try to do the most important thing and outscore you. Make our 30 odd % possession count. I hope we sit back, press once you enter our half, try to steal the ball and then fly via the wings. I am conflicted about the formation. Rooney and Chicha sound delicious but I just don't trust a two man mf against the world's best mf. What to do. All I know is Rooney, Carrick, Valencia and Park need to start.

For the record Messi is not human, Rooney while bloody fantastic for us, is. Our mf is unfit to grace the same pitch as that of Barca. Individually we are inferior to 07-08 where we were clueless for 80 minutes. However, our individual shortcomings are hopefully compensated by our better team play, work ethic, perseverance and winning mentality. Valencia is inferior to Ronaldo, but in that Final ronaldo wanted to do it all on his own, whereas Valencia is the complete opposite which has its benefits. The fact that currently our sum is much greater than our parts hopefully will give us a chance.

Anyway, enough rambling for now. Laterz.

U must be some sort of a Poet. Great post indeed. :thumbsup2: :thumbsup2:

Interesting. I might do the same before the final, but then again I don't know if as a United fan,I could sit through it again Lol.

I doubt it will be Nani though, If anyone watched United yesterday Park was superb yet again. He will get the thumbs up ahead of Nani.

Agreed on Park. He is more effective.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Yeah, I'm definitely feelin' redlyn...Pretty much sums up my thinking on how it could play out

Chich & Roo have to start together with Park & Valencia on the wings...Carrick Fletcher really operating as a tandem set of DMs...Create 4 lines & crowd the back 2 so that Barca have less room to pass those triangles in the final third...Easier said than done but in theory it can work for United...and they are disciplined & confident enough to pull it off...If, and that's a big if, Barca don't capitalize first...Like in '09, if Barca score early, they will have a hard time regaining the advantage once Barca pick up the momentum...Because chasing the ball all day & closing down every molecule of space works so long as you bide your time to gain the advantage...Once the advantage is lost, their game plan reverts to chasing the ball...and they just don't have the players to do that

Of course, it's those lethal counters from United that have looked deliciously efficient in recent matches...I'm hoping for a nearly fit Abidal because Valencia is going to be an issue otherwise

e28makaveli

i got the feeling messi will not score in wembley...other player maybe..like iniesta or pique
Same here. Messi will be over marked leaving us with Iniesta to make things happen. I doubt Villa and Pedro scoring in this one. ManU full backs are pretty quick.

Yeah, I'm definitely feelin' redlyn...Pretty much sums up my thinking on how it could play out

Chich & Roo have to start together with Park & Valencia on the wings...Carrick Fletcher really operating as a tandem set of DMs...Create 4 lines & crowd the back 2 so that Barca have less room to pass those triangles in the final third...Easier said than done but in theory it can work for United...and they are disciplined & confident enough to pull it off...If, and that's a big if, Barca don't capitalize first...Like in '09, if Barca score early, they will have a hard time regaining the advantage once Barca pick up the momentum...Because chasing the ball all day & closing down every molecule of space works so long as you bide your time to gain the advantage...Once the advantage is lost, their game plan reverts to chasing the ball...and they just don't have the players to do that

Of course, it's those lethal counters from United that have looked deliciously efficient in recent matches...I'm hoping for a nearly fit Abidal because Valencia is going to be an issue otherwise
Yes, we need Abidal. If not, I think Puyol can do the job with Pique looking out for him. Puyol is very intelligent and disciplined in his positioning.

M

Messi_Boy

I so, really, really hope the CL final WONT be a replay of the Copa Del Rey Final....that was just plain shocking and upsetting to me. :-(

L

lionelito

We are pleased to inform you that as a result of the lottery process, your application with the customer reference number: for the UEFA Champions League Final 2011 has been successful.

The following ticket(s) have been reserved for you: 2 TICKET(S) IN CATEGORY 2.

A total of GBP 486.00 (including administrative charges) has been deducted from your credit card account.

Please note that the actual amount debited from your credit card may vary slightly, depending on the exchange rates applied by the bank(s) involved in the transaction.

The cancellation period finished 18 March. Ticket sales are final upon payment made and no changes to your application can be made.

Your tickets will be dispatched by registered post to the address mentioned on your ticket order form no later than 30 April 2011.

Lucky You lionelito,
Heard they are pretty expensive them Wembley Tickets.
How much yours costed then.?

About 220 pounds for category 2. Well now in ebay people sell it for $5000+ crazy.

You lucky.................

Have you one spare? Im desperate!

I'm really lucky. Never thought i'd get one!!

I really hope my seat is close to north side of the stadium!

G

GUN-POWDER

if devid villa he didnt show up and do somthing will be in danger, before two years etoo was the man change the game when he score goal in the begining , thats was the key to win the title

i now fergie will put some player to stop messi so , i think villa had to do somthing to save baca

F

Forca Barca

I think this has a really good chance of being right. But I'd probably swap carrick for Giggs, and maybe Rooney a touch further up. Tough call though. Any chance you can do a Barca one too, so we can compare? :)

I dont think manu would play that formation cause it would expose their flanks i also think that giggs would play instead of fletcher on the wing

Same here. Messi will be over marked leaving us with Iniesta to make things happen. I doubt Villa and Pedro scoring in this one. ManU full backs are pretty quick.

Yes, we need Abidal. If not, I think Puyol can do the job with Pique looking out for him. Puyol is very intelligent and disciplined in his positioning.[/QUO

yeah i agree hopefully though it will be like 2007 when liverpool over marked kaka and left inzaghi open to score the 2 goals. Villa needs to start getting the goals though cause so far weve been relying on messi to get are goals agaisnt the big teams like Madrid. But we still have Pedro and like you pointed out iniesta and even Xavi has started to go for goal these days.

Yellowmustard

All i wanted this year was the league. Anything else would be a bonus. Both of us deserve to be in the final.

Anyways, why do people hate SAF so much on this forum. He has a lot of respect for Barca.

This is what he said about Barca 2 months ago.

5:36

Last edited:

KluivertsBoots

United has a great chance to win this match. They are built to cause Barcelona problems as long as the two CMS aren't completely abused (I'm looking at you, Carrick). Rooney's deep lying role will give Barcelona fits. Kanoute and Forlan caused Barcelona no end of problems in a similar role, as did Giuseppe Rossi. In fact, I would opt for Mascherano at DM. I don't think Busquets can handle Rooney. Chicharito's pace will be a big concern, especially if Puyol is unfit to play.

I see this as a 50-50 match, and I would not be surprised at all to see United win. Barcelona have been playing at 50% capacity for basically the entire second half of the season. Remarkably, it has still been enough to carry the team this far.

In fact, as a Barcelona supporter, I would pick United 2-1 right now from an objective point of view.

Unbiased United

I dont think manu would play that formation cause it would expose their flanks i also think that giggs would play instead of fletcher on the wing

Giggs and Fletcher on the wing? ...Giggs hasn't played there once this season that I can think of, and Fletcher never has.....so not sure what makes you think this?

United has a great chance to win this match. They are built to cause Barcelona problems as long as the two CMS aren't completely abused (I'm looking at you, Carrick). Rooney's deep lying role will give Barcelona fits. Kanoute and Forlan caused Barcelona no end of problems in a similar role, as did Giuseppe Rossi. In fact, I would opt for Mascherano at DM. I don't think Busquets can handle Rooney. Chicharito's pace will be a big concern, especially if Puyol is unfit to play.

I see this as a 50-50 match, and I would not be surprised at all to see United win. Barcelona have been playing at 50% capacity for basically the entire second half of the season. Remarkably, it has still been enough to carry the team this far.

In fact, as a Barcelona supporter, I would pick United 2-1 right now from an objective point of view.

Nice post, I have a lot of time for the Barca fans on here who actually have a knowledge of United, and not just copy and paste what they have read elsewhere about United's supposed negatives (which are largely untrue, I might add). I'm not confient we will win 2-1 but I can see the scoreline being that tight, one way or another. There's two great teams in this tie, not just one! :)

silky_soccer

Fireman Sam
Giggs and Fletcher on the wing? ...Giggs hasn't played there once this season that I can think of, and Fletcher never has....so not sure what makes you think this?

Nice post, I have a lot of time for the Barca fans on here who actually have a knowledge of United, and not just copy and paste what they have read elsewhere about United's supposed negatives (which are largely untrue, I might add). I'm not confient we will win 2-1 but I can see the scoreline being that tight, one way or another. There's two great teams in this tie, not just one! :)

Giggs has played there quite alot this year and Fletchers first couple of years he played mainly as right midfield. Not saying I agree that theyll be playing there, just saying.

Unbiased United

Giggs has played there quite alot this year and Fletchers first couple of years he played mainly as right midfield. Not saying I agree that theyll be playing there, just saying.

When Giggs has played this season, its been in the middle, perhaps the odd venture on the wing, but his role has clearly changed in the last couple of season's to CM. Thats where he plays in any big games, and to say different is just disagreeing, for the sake of disagreeing. Yeah I suppose your right about fletcher, but the same goes for him, since his arrival as a regular first teamer I doubt he has played once on the wing. Lets not start a petty disagreement when you know I'm right....

KluivertsBoots

I believe Fergie will use almost the exact set-up as he did against Chelsea. The only tweaks I see are potentially with Fletcher's fitness, and obviously O'Shea sitting. Park will definitely have a role in this match, both helping against Alves runs AND bothering Xavi.

Fergie will have as much energy on the pitch as possible. Ando, Berba and Nani subs- subject to change based on Fletch availability.

Unbiased United

I believe Fergie will use almost the exact set-up as he did against Chelsea. The only tweaks I see are potentially with Fletcher's fitness, and obviously O'Shea sitting. Park will definitely have a role in this match, both helping against Alves runs AND bothering Xavi.

Fergie will have as much energy on the pitch as possible. Ando, Berba and Nani subs.

Totally agree. Think O'shea, will make way for the wonder kid Rafael, and if he proves himself in the next 3 games, Fletcher in the middle.

KluivertsBoots

Totally agree. Think O'shea, will make way for the wonder kid Rafael, and if he proves himself in the next 3 games, Fletcher in the middle.

Our set up completely depends on Puyol and Abidal readiness. You will see the standard Barcelona line-up for the first time since Christmas if that happens. Villa has little hope against Vidic-Ferdy-VDS on current form. Barcelona's goal scoring will depend almost entirely on Messi in open play unless Iniesta gets into shooting mood himself.

If Barca are off color as they have been in recent matches, United has the capability to put an impressive score up in my opinion. United can beat this Barcelona team the same way they beat Roma a few years back (should be closer to the 2-0 than 7-0 though!). Messi is basically playing the Totti role right now, with Villa pulling left (a la Vucinic). I don't believe any of this is lost on United.

Home of Barca Fans