2011 CL Final: FC Barcelona - Manchester United FC 3-1 - Champions!

Unbiased United

Very strange, Although hes our leading scorer this year, and the Leagues. Hes rarely done it when it matters most. Hattrick vs Liverpool aside. Hes not scored or even played in the big games, mainly due to his lack of energy. He wants to drop deep and link the play, but Rooney is better at it than he is. He then moved forward and attempted to be our Goalscorer, which he has at times, just not regularly away from home and 8 of his goals came in 2 games. Hernandez has been far more dependable.

I dont think we'll sell him, But sadly I dont think he will ever shake off that horrendous price tag, Squad player at most.

I think I disagree. He's getting on a bit now, and given the Rooney/ Hernandez partnership its only going to be more of the same for him (being a sub) next season if he does stay, and for a player like him, I doubt thats enough.

I can see us selling him for about ten million,and let me through a crazy one out there....maybe even back to Spurs, who will be on the look out for a top striker.

Trequartista

The good
The more I think about it the more I am convinced that Sir Alex will opt for his usual 4-4-2/4-2-3-1 as it suits more Valencia,Rooney,Park and Chicarito,Park's energy picking Alves,Valencia playing wide on the right,Nani as a supersub,then he will have to pick two from Scholes,Giggs and Carrick
Guess Abidal will be able to complete the full 90 minutes thats awesome news for us as he is one of the few players who can stop Valencia

barcetia

Mikrofonkåt
Very strange, Although hes our leading scorer this year, and the Leagues. Hes rarely done it when it matters most. Hattrick vs Liverpool aside. Hes not scored or even played in the big games, mainly due to his lack of energy. He wants to drop deep and link the play, but Rooney is better at it than he is. He then moved forward and attempted to be our Goalscorer, which he has at times, just not regularly away from home and 8 of his goals came in 2 games. Hernandez has been far more dependable.

I dont think we'll sell him, But sadly I dont think he will ever shake off that horrendous price tag, Squad player at most.
:lol:
we.
our.
what happened to Barca?

Unbiased United

The more I think about it the more I am convinced that Sir Alex will opt for his usual 4-4-2/4-2-3-1 as it suits more Valencia,Rooney,Park and Chicarito,Park's energy picking Alves,Valencia playing wide on the right,Nani as a supersub,then he will have to pick two from Scholes,Giggs and Carrick
Guess Abidal will be able to complete the full 90 minutes thats awesome news for us as he is one of the few players who can stop Valencia

I hope he does, and I think he will....Chicarito has made it almost impossible for him not to play him. Scholes won't get a look in though, to be honest i'd be surprised to see him as a sub even. He's a legend but against the likes of Barca, he just can't cut it anymore. Plus his temperment is quite bad, and his tackles are rash....not what you want when your trying to take the ball off the likes of Messi and co.

Its good to see Abidal back too. Him and Valencia have had a terrible year of setbacks(of course Abidals being the worst), so it will be fitting to see them lineup against each other in the final!

Hey guys, for those who haven't seen much of united this season here's a link with a quick summary of how each player has played this season (its a very easy simple read btw lol). Its in 'The Sun' which I know is pretty much held in contempt in these parts (lol) but it is actually pretty bang on the mark with this article.

I'd be interested to see something similar for the Barcelona players if anyone knows of anything? ...Thanks!

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3581636/Man-Utd-have-been-titley-brilliant.html

silky_soccer

Fireman Sam

Carrick is nailed on to play. Would be suicide not to play him in this game. Although he was targetted last time, He'll be more prepared for it this time (Hopefully) and his defensive work is vital. + His form over the last 2/3 months has been very good.

E

estranged

Man U fans, what is your most probable line-up? Any chance of Anderson starting? I remember in 09 he let Iniesta walk past him on the first goal :D Though I'm pretty sure fergie won't start him this time round. Also what do you think fergie's strategy will be? Will Man U play their usual attacking game or will they be keen on keeping it tight?

Last edited:

Pepe Silvia

The difference is Carrick is a very good player, Xavi and Iniesta are world class. He'll need to be at his very best this time.
Indeed. Everyone on the pitch has to be on point. Leaks from any area of the pitch can easily be capitalized by either team.

United can move the ball from back to front like no other, so they will need to explode up the wings to be effective. There is no midfield strategy other than disrupt with Park imho.

Barca can distribute and hold possession like no other team in the world, so Xaviesta will need to maintain that strict and greedy approach for 90+. Messi, I'd imagine, would drop deep to fill in for any additional pressure you guys would add. We have Alves to launch surprise attacks up the right so that little bit to stretch your defense wide may be the difference on our attack. Abidal is not quite fit yet, so this week will be fingers crossed to give him his 90 minutes and get him ready for Wembley.

Otherwise, both teams should feel 100% confident about their chances. It's anybody's match, not because I feel United are matched, but because anything can happen in football and as I stated, one slip up from any area can be devastating.

Cheers!

Unbiased United

Indeed. Everyone on the pitch has to be on point. Leaks from any area of the pitch can easily be capitalized by either team.

United can move the ball from back to front like no other, so they will need to explode up the wings to be effective. There is no midfield strategy other than disrupt with Park imho.

Barca can distribute and hold possession like no other team in the world, so Xaviesta will need to maintain that strict and greedy approach for 90+. Messi, I'd imagine, would drop deep to fill in for any additional pressure you guys would add. We have Alves to launch surprise attacks up the right so that little bit to stretch your defense wide may be the difference on our attack. Abidal is not quite fit yet, so this week will be fingers crossed to give him his 90 minutes and get him ready for Wembley.

Otherwise, both teams should feel 100% confident about their chances. It's anybody's match, not because I feel United are matched, but because anything can happen in football and as I stated, one slip up from any area can be devastating.

Cheers!

Totally agree Pepe, nice post! :)

----------------VDS-----------------
Rafael----Rio------Vidic-------Evra
----------Carrick-------------------
-------------------Giggs--------Park
Valencia----------------------------
--------------Rooney----------------
-----------------Hernandez---------

This is highly likely to be the team Estranged. :)

I think we will certainly try to attack, we have many offensively minded players, even our full backs are like wingers. But that depends how much of the ball we see. Barca could well push us back limiting us to counter attacks only. I'd like to think it will be end to end stuff, but chances are Barca will see a lot of the ball and largely dictate play. That said, our defence is very tough to beat and I also think United will be very dangerous in any breaks we do get....2-1, not sure which way. :)

Oh, and I doubt very much Anderson will start. He's good but behind in the pecking order, as he can be inconsistant.

barcaboy15

Ok, thanks for the info silkysoccer and unbiased united - I appreciate it.

So, this is the most likely line-up for the final:

Valdes

Alves - Pique - Puyol - Abidal

Busquets
Xavi - Iniesta

Pedro - Messi - Villa

VS

Hernandez
Rooney

Park - Giggs - Valencia
Carrick

Evra - Vidic - Ferdinand - Rafael

Van Der Sar

O

OwenC

Does anyone know a good pub in London that won't be full of Man U fans to watch the match?

impeh

Hi, its me..
dont get me wrong, united are a fantastic team.. but thats our full strength side, id be disappointed in the players if we get through 2 huge matches against madrid and then lose this.

villas form is a huge concern going into such a big game, he needs a performance, especially when uniteds players seem to be getting better each week.

have a horrible feeling Hernandez will have a quiet game and then suddenly pop up with a goal..

Last edited:

Ocurrente

dont get me wrong, united are a fantastic team.. but thats our full strength side, id be disappointed in the players if we get through 2 huge matches against madrid and then lose this.

villas form is a huge concern going into such a big game, he needs a performance, especially when uniteds players seem to be getting better each week.

have a horrible feeling Hernandez will have a quiet game and then suddenly pop up with a goal..

well, that sums up his whole season.

Home of Barca Fans