2011 CL Final: FC Barcelona - Manchester United FC 3-1 - Champions!

Marc

A friend of mine introduced me to a editor of some Manchester United fan site, she looked for a Barcelona fan for an interview prior to the big Final. I was glad I could help her and I gave thought or two abot the game and Barcelona in general. She told me she will infor me when interview goes online on their site, if you want, I can inform you guys to. :)

Pepe Silvia

Hernandez will be a threat but if the defence isolates him from getting good passes he is done for. He is the typical poacher just waiting for the ball to come to his foot.
That's exactly right. Look at Higuain (who I see as the best striker in the world) against us. He seems to disappear just about everytime against us, in recent years. That's thanks to our defense preventing him from getting the ball in a dangerous position up the pitch. Same thing with Chicharito. If we can manage to prevent this, he'll be very limited. I do imagine him somehow getting a few random shots on goal either way though.

F

Forca Barca

Not against Barcelona. Park will be an extremely important player for United. Nani is too wasteful and not willing enough defensively to play against Barcelona unless he comes on as a late sub to add a spark. Park will have double marking duties against both Xavi and Dani Alves.

My match prediction is unchanged. I'm still thinking United 2-1 in regular or extra time. I wouldn't be surprised to see a 1-1 match go all the way to penalties.

There's a good bit about Barca's lack of spark at El Mundo Deportivo. Given the fatigue factor, I just don't see how Barca will magically flip a switch at this stage and become the team from December. It's remarkable to think about how long it has been since Barcelona had the first choice 11 available, fit and in rhythm. These guys haven't all played a match together, let alone one this big, in a long time.

your right park is a lot more hard working than nani and we wont give him so many chances although fortunately park doesnt go down easy and nani is trying to take up the torch from CR with his diving acrobats and dani alves goes into his challenges very hard so it would be good to see park there

To all those arguing about who the best team in the world is

is there really a best team in the world? Barca has been beaten by hercules early on this season drawn with levente lost to real sociaded and other random teams. Manu has also lost to Wolverhampton and drawn several matches with lower end teams. Also the EPL is most likely the most competitive league in the world where their are teams like Manu, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, tottenham and city. So theres a reason why we should not underestimate manu. The spanish league is a lot more relaxed and in recent years its boiled down to barca vs madrid. Both teams are very good and deserve to be in the final but like i said can there really be a best team in the world which is unbeatable. As far as i know there has never been a team that went a whole season without losing. so i dont see the point in arguing the team that wins the CL people might say is the best team in the world but could go into the next season on horrible form. These are just my thoughts but i really think its a senseless point to argue

To all those arguing about who the best team in the world is

is there really a best team in the world? Barca has been beaten by hercules early on this season drawn with levente lost to real sociaded and other random teams. Manu has also lost to Wolverhampton and drawn several matches with lower end teams. Also the EPL is most likely the most competitive league in the world where their are teams like Manu, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, tottenham and city. So theres a reason why we should not underestimate manu. The spanish league is a lot more relaxed and in recent years its boiled down to barca vs madrid. Both teams are very good and deserve to be in the final but like i said can there really be a best team in the world which is unbeatable. As far as i know there has never been a team that went a whole season without losing. so i dont see the point in arguing the team that wins the CL people might say is the best team in the world but could go into the next season on horrible form. These are just my thoughts but i really think its a senseless point to argue

btw i dont mean to offend anyone with this post just my thoughts on the matter :p

btw i dont mean to offend people with my comment i Love Barca and have great respect for manu these are just my thoughts on the matter

Rooney will force Busquets to do one of two things. Either Busquets will push further up to try and force Rooney into a more defensive role, creating an extraordinarily high defensive line, or Busquets will drop in with Pique-Puyol and Barcelona will show more of the 3-4-3 shape.

There are dangers in both approaches from the Barcelona perspective. If Busquets elects to play deeper, this will give Rooney space and time to become an outlet and run at Barcelona from a deeper position. Forlan, Kanoute and Rossi have all destabilized the Barca defense in similar roles.

If Busquets pushes higher, Barcelona will then be playing an almost suicidally high offside trap. United's defenders, in addition to Carrick, are all capable of playing accurate balls from their own half. United can counter with devastasting speed from anywhere on the pitch. Last season, I saw Rooney sprint from his own box without the ball to get on the end of a counter attacking move that went end to end four touches off of an opponent corner.

It will be very interesting to watch the positioning of Busquets in this match, and it will probably be one of the most overlooked deciding factors in the match that none of the pundits will bother mentioning.

I think if i was pep i would start mascherono (or however you spell the dudes name) instead of busquets. busquets can be unpredictable and can attack to much leaving are defense to open or defend to much (like you pointed out) allowing the strikers to much room but than again Mascherono also could leave us playing with 10 men due to his tackling ways

B

beautifulgame

The part of me lacking in confidence about this game thinks we should use a double pivot.

just. in. case.

If their counter is thoroughly neuy tralized in the first half and Barca need more speed and creativity to score then proceed with subbing on an attacking player for Masch.

However, it won't happen that way. Pep will come out the way he usually does.

EDIT: Actually, when I think about it, if Barca use the double pivot then Barca may gain more steel and security against attacks in midfield but it would lose that same intensity and security in defending from the front (if Pedro is left out).

Last edited:

DucdeOrléans

If we are in top condition, then we have very little to fear.

Maybe Rooney a bit, or Valencia due to his strength and pace.

Indeed. Man U will be exposed if we play to our usual standard. Just like in 2009.

And of course we have been the most successful team in the last years. 5 league titles, 2 CL titles (possible 3), 1 Copa del Rey, 4 Spanish Super Cups, 1 UEFA Super Cup and 1 FIFA Club World Cup. All this in only 7 years. Not to mention the sextuple, the fact that we have played the best football and have had 4 Ballon d'Ors winners in the past 7 years etc.

No team can match that.

E

estranged

It's because we rarely see Puyol at top stride. I can recall recently Puyol chasing down someone (I think it was when he covered Pique's ass in a Clasico) and totally outran I think it was DiMaria to the ball and cleared it. He was lightening fast on that exchange. He hardly does that though.
yea he chased down di maria after pique misjudged the ball bounce, it was when puyol ran off and took the corner flag with him :lol:

gingerless

yea he chased down di maria after pique misjudged the ball bounce, it was when puyol ran off and took the corner flag with him :lol:

then he chucked it away to gain more time to get back to position while they had to get it back and put it in again until di maria could throw the ball :)

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
1305747034930.jpg

Barcilliant

In football and in the world generally today people seem to have no values, no sense off ones self. Alot of people dont know what they stand for or who they really are. This translates over to football also where you have the 'successful' clubs and successful managers. They have acheived success but at what price?? Just look at Mourinho-a prime example.
I am happy to be a Barca supporter-I am proud to be a Barca supporter. Why?

Because we have a philosophy and we stick by it. We dont compromise our ideals of attacking positive football and park the bus because we think we might lose. We dont try and nullify the opposition by fouling. We dont try and win by set pieces and long balls. We try and win the beautiful way. This means we will suffer alot because it is not easy to win and to win in style (but our best teams have managed to do so).

Other clubs have had more success than us but none of them come close to producing the mesmerising, attacking , technical style we have. This is the prime reason we have captured so many football fans hearts worldwide.

Win or lose we will play our style. We wont compromise and try and take it to penalties or crowd the midfield or kick players off the park. These are traits more associated with EPL sides. We will try and play football yes FOOTball not HEADball EPL style.

Like Mascherano and other players have said all season we will live and die playing our brand of football.

Visca Barca!!!

alex 10

maxwell?

A friend of mine introduced me to a editor of some Manchester United fan site, she looked for a Barcelona fan for an interview prior to the big Final. I was glad I could help her and I gave thought or two abot the game and Barcelona in general. She told me she will infor me when interview goes online on their site, if you want, I can inform you guys to. :)

yea inform us

silky_soccer

Fireman Sam
In football and in the world generally today people seem to have no values, no sense off ones self. Alot of people dont know what they stand for or who they really are. This translates over to football also where you have the 'successful' clubs and successful managers. They have acheived success but at what price?? Just look at Mourinho-a prime example.
I am happy to be a Barca supporter-I am proud to be a Barca supporter. Why?

Because we have a philosophy and we stick by it. We dont compromise our ideals of attacking positive football and park the bus because we think we might lose. We dont try and nullify the opposition by fouling. We dont try and win by set pieces and long balls. We try and win the beautiful way. This means we will suffer alot because it is not easy to win and to win in style (but our best teams have managed to do so).

Other clubs have had more success than us but none of them come close to producing the mesmerising, attacking , technical style we have. This is the prime reason we have captured so many football fans hearts worldwide.

Win or lose we will play our style. We wont compromise and try and take it to penalties or crowd the midfield or kick players off the park. These are traits more associated with EPL sides. We will try and play football yes FOOTball not HEADball EPL style.

Like Mascherano and other players have said all season we will live and die playing our brand of football.
Visca Barca!!!

You do realise United are famous for their brand of attacking football? Right through from the Babes, to the trinity and now. To suggest that Barcelona are somehow superior becuse they have a philosohpy is ridiculous. Yes, you have a philosophy, and you perform it fucking well. But dont try and undermine other teams by suggesting that you are the only ones in the world that play the game with one

IrvDizzle

Charlie Sheen's Protégé
You do realise United are famous for their brand of attacking football? Right through from the Babes, to the trinity and now. To suggest that Barcelona are somehow superior becuse they have a philosohpy is ridiculous. Yes, you have a philosophy, and you perform it fucking well. But dont try and undermine other teams by suggesting that you are the only ones in the world that play the game with one

you'll have to forgive us, we've just finished a 3rd season where in the 2nd half every team has parked a fleet of double-decker buses against us, including a 4 game tilt w/ Jose Mourinho, the king of parked buses. It's rare for us to see at team actually have a go at us, and even rarer still to comprehend a manager planning that he will have a go at us. I think the last team to try and attack us was Espanyol last December in the Cornella and that ended 1-5. Real Madrid tried at the Nou Camp in November and that ended 5-0. so again, please forgive us.

Also, another reason you'll have to forgive us for sounding arrogant is because FCB does not change tactics, irrespective of the opponent. our best 11 goes out there to attack and win. every game. that's hurt us w/ injuries and a lot players adding mileage, but hey, we're proud of that. SAF will tune down United's brand of attacking football against us. he has to. But I don't think he'll be as negative as Chelsea or RM.

I just hope FCB doesn't start slow in this Final. Irrespective of a more defensively minded United, they will make us pay if we start sloppy.

Home of Barca Fans