2011 CL Final: FC Barcelona - Manchester United FC 3-1 - Champions!

yusuf

Yusuf Islam
Are you watching barca!!!! ;)

There's no easy fix really is there, its going to be risky either way, and either way wouldn't surprise me really.
lol chelski are old as hell and are finished....but it is surprising that u are raping them this early

Unbiased United

lol chelski are old as hell and are finished....but it is surprising that u are raping them this early

Thats too easy to say. They are a class team, but we are better.

As anyone can see who is watching the game, United attack at will, as we have done so much this season. But of course it will be harder against Barca!

e28makaveli

I can't stand people who get drawn into that type of argument either. It's a stupid argument to have. But I'll never understand how someone doesn't believe their team will win the Champions league when they've reached the final. That's just lame.

You SHOULD believe in your team and be sure they will win. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. After all a belief is an irrational thing and is based on hope, not on facts. There IS something wrong in thinking the fans from the other team are not entitled to that opinion too, which is where the stupid arguments start.

Do I think Barça will win the Champions League? Absolutely. Do I know they will? Er, no. Do I respect you when you say man U will win it? Of course. Do i think you're right? No. Am I going to argue with you because you do? Hell no. I'll argue about other aspects of the tie, but not that. That's for 12 year olds.

+1.

chelski are old, slow have no new ideas.... I have never been a fan of chelski anyway.

Thats too easy to say. They are a class team, but we are better.

As anyone can see who is watching the game, United attack at will, as we have done so much this season. But of course it will be harder against Barca!

United definitely has a very powerful counter attacking force in Valencia and Rooney. I think Valencia will be our biggest threat.

Panna

Valencia will be a very big threat. The first 30 minutes today was ManU very very good. Rest of the match they were playing easier but still dangerous a lot of moments.

Unbiased United

+1.

chelski are old, slow have no new ideas.... I have never been a fan of chelski anyway.

United definitely has a very powerful counter attacking force in Valencia and Rooney. I think Valencia will be our biggest threat.

Chelsea have some fantastic players. They are second in the PL and made it to the Q Final of the champions League, and had they not faced United I think would have gone further.

You and Panna are right I think, Valencia is a huge threat, and over the last few days I have mentioned the threat our wingers can cause, and today it was there for all to see. Rooney was quiet today, but with Giggs, Park and Valencia playing as they did, it didn't really matter.

This current United team is fantastic, and if we had anyone else in the final, I would be confident it should be ours to lose. However Its Barca, so I have to be realistic. Its going to be a great game between two great teams. To those few fans who have been writing United off, I say underestimate them at your peril, because I think Barca are in for the toughest game they have had in a long time.

I can't wait, what an advert for football! :)

Last edited:

impeh

Hi, its me..
to the united fans.. i heard a guy on the radio saying he had wished fergie had played giggs as a CM for the last couple of years.. agree? do you think he will play their in the final?

Unbiased United

I've got a problem with that.

No fan plays on the net whilst the match is on, let alone a game so big.

Lol...sorry it upsets you.

to the united fans.. i heard a guy on the radio saying he had wished fergie had played giggs as a CM for the last couple of years.. agree? do you think he will play their in the final?

If he starts it will be as a CM. He's been superb there this season. To be honest though he's played there for a while now, not exclusively, but definately more than on the wings, in the last two or 3 seasons.

Last edited:
R

redlyn

Hello! Epic battle ahead. Can't wait. Barca are by far superior to us (IMO) as they are possibly the best team that has ever existed, will dominate the life out of any adversary in history but on any given one off game anything can happen. A red card + penalty. An inspired tactically astute United catching Barca on an off day. A mauling by someone.
One thing is for sure, we wont have much possession. I resign myself to that obvious fact. We have been dominated by all and sundry this season as the midfield is virtually at 04-05 levels (ok tad exaggeration perhaps, but its critical - sort it out sharpish fergie! in the summer). But as we have shown, especially against the likes of Barca-lite (arsenal) possession does not win you matches. Goals do. We accept we are not going out pass you. But we can sure try to do the most important thing and outscore you. Make our 30 odd % possession count. I hope we sit back, press once you enter our half, try to steal the ball and then fly via the wings. I am conflicted about the formation. Rooney and Chicha sound delicious but I just don't trust a two man mf against the world's best mf. What to do. All I know is Rooney, Carrick, Valencia and Park need to start.

For the record Messi is not human, Rooney while bloody fantastic for us, is. Our mf is unfit to grace the same pitch as that of Barca. Individually we are inferior to 07-08 where we were clueless for 80 minutes. However, our individual shortcomings are hopefully compensated by our better team play, work ethic, perseverance and winning mentality. Valencia is inferior to Ronaldo, but in that Final ronaldo wanted to do it all on his own, whereas Valencia is the complete opposite which has its benefits. The fact that currently our sum is much greater than our parts hopefully will give us a chance.

Anyway, enough rambling for now. Laterz.

barcaboy15

Hello! Epic battle ahead. Can't wait. Barca are by far superior to us (IMO) as they are possibly the best team that has ever existed, will dominate the life out of any adversary in history but on any given one off game anything can happen. A red card + penalty. An inspired tactically astute United catching Barca on an off day. A mauling by someone.
One thing is for sure, we wont have much possession. I resign myself to that obvious fact. We have been dominated by all and sundry this season as the midfield is virtually at 04-05 levels (ok tad exaggeration perhaps, but its critical - sort it out sharpish fergie! in the summer). But as we have shown, especially against the likes of Barca-lite (arsenal) possession does not win you matches. Goals do. We accept we are not going out pass you. But we can sure try to do the most important thing and outscore you. Make our 30 odd % possession count. I hope we sit back, press once you enter our half, try to steal the ball and then fly via the wings. I am conflicted about the formation. Rooney and Chicha sound delicious but I just don't trust a two man mf against the world's best mf. What to do. All I know is Rooney, Carrick, Valencia and Park need to start.
For the record Messi is not human, Rooney while bloody fantastic for us, is. Our mf is
unfit to grace the same pitch as that of Barca. Individually we are inferior to 07-08 where we were clueless for 80 minutes. However, our individual shortcomings are hopefully compensated by our better team play, work ethic, perseverance and winning mentality. Valencia is inferior to Ronaldo, but in that Final ronaldo wanted to do it all on his own, whereas Valencia is the complete opposite which has its benefits. The fact that currently our sum is much greater than our parts hopefully will give us a chance.

Probably the best first post ever:worthy:

And I agree with you on everything 100%.

This Barca team is better, as you said they are considered by many to be the best ever, however Man Utd are also a great team and while individually weaker than '09 (no Ronaldo, no Tevez) I think you have a team which is much stronger now collectively.

However I just don't think your midfield can compete with Messi, Xavi and Iniesta but as you said it is a one off game and anything can happen.

I'm just hoping for a feast of brilliant football, regardless of who wins.

Barcilliant

Champions League finals are rarely attack fests. Dont expect a classic.They are mainly nervy, tight affairs with teams not willing to expose themselves. I think Utd will come with the intention to counter attack but when they see Barca control the play they will park the bus and hope it goes to penalties or see if they can grab a one off goal on the counter.

gingerless

Champions League finals are rarely attack fests. Dont expect a classic.They are mainly nervy, tight affairs with teams not willing to expose themselves. I think Utd will come with the intention to counter attack but when they see Barca control the play they will park the bus and hope it goes to penalties or see if they can grab a one off goal on the counter.

this.

also +100 points to first post guy for mentioning valencia-ronaldo, i completely agree there

R

RedDevil

Hi, I'm a new member and a United fan.

I do fear Barcelona in the final, an extraordinary football side and if Xavi-Iniesta-Busquets play in midfield, I will be worried.

However, the player for Barcelona to watch is Antonio Valencia, what a player.

Unbiased United

For the record Messi is not human, Rooney while bloody fantastic for us, is. Our mf is unfit to grace the same pitch as that of Barca. Individually we are inferior to 07-08 where we were clueless for 80 minutes. However, our individual shortcomings are hopefully compensated by our better team play, work ethic, perseverance and winning mentality. Valencia is inferior to Ronaldo, but in that Final ronaldo wanted to do it all on his own, whereas Valencia is the complete opposite which has its benefits. The fact that currently our sum is much greater than our parts hopefully will give us a chance.

I agree with the other guys, really good post. I don't agree hundred percent with everything but your points are valid and reasonable. I don't thnk Braca are 'far superior'. Not taking away anything from this superb Barca team, but I think its hard for anyone to be that much better than this United team, which have impressed me the second half of this season as much as any United team has done previously. That said, the game isn't to far off now and I am either going to be proved correct, that should we play our best we can match Barca. Or (and I'll be the first to hold my hands up) we lose and Barca can then rightly claim to be the greatest team on Earth.

I agree with your comments on our midfield, its simply not in the same league as Barca's is, but we have bundles of talent elsewhere, and to be honest even our midfield, if its Giggs and Fletcher, or Giggs and Carrick.... well its not exactly terrible is it.

I can't wait for this! ...Will messi run our defence ragged, or will they stand strong, and prove they are amongst the best in the world. Can barca cope with our counter attack speed?....or will we even have chance to show it, under the pressure Barca could keep us under!....Will Rooney and the 'little pea' prove too dangerous for even the great Barca, or will Villa and Pedro (?) do the same to United?

One thing is for sure, we can talk about it as much as we want (and I've been doing a lot of it Lol), but we are gonna find out for real soon! :D

Aasim

Bumbleman
I just rewatched the 2009 final and even though we seem to have a makeshift defence, i feel it was a good thing tactically..

Rooney would have been exploiting the space that Alves leaves behind so i do think it might have been a blessing in disguise to have Puyol play there who is defensivly much better. Toure and Pique have everything to stop Ronaldo and Sylvinho was solid and showed his experience.

This time around, Valencia/Nani are wingers with pace and are hard stop so i can definately see Utd getting chances from our fullbacks (especialy Alves) being too high up. Maybe Pep will tell Alves, like in the semis, to be more defensive and not bomb up as much.

Home of Barca Fans